All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 16 Nov 2023 at 9:39pm

;)

https://m.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 19 Nov 2023 at 6:27am

It is by grace we are saved by faith and not of yourselves ..Eph 2:8.
Yep salvation is a gift otherwise none of us would make it….it is not of ourselves so nobody can boast how good we are etc etc.
Evil won’t see heaven and we need an advocate to help us through.
Someone might have a bit of evil in them and some a lot but when you take yourself to the cross of Christ everything is exposed and laid bare.
It is there that the blood of the Christ cleanses us and transforms our walk from one path to another.
The innocent substitutes for the guilty….God himself buys our freedom and takes the death sentence for us.
I can be a bit of a hot head but when I think about Jesus and His way of doing things I can calm down and feel the gentle breeze again.
Watching the chosen has been good for me as I can put myself into the historical context and the guy that plays Jesus is very good at his job.
Every funeral I go to they talk about heaven and the hope they have that the person is there.
But where is heaven?….in a universe full of galaxy’s and star systems planets etc….
..Where is this third heaven the apostle Paul talks about.
It’s something he has seen as have two men I have met in my life over many years.
When your spirit leaves your body what’s next?….matter now anti matter….then what.
A new home in a new body in a new place or a waiting room for a judgement.
Some mock my idea of another planet where Gods people end up called heaven and I may well be way off track but it seems fairly logical that if God made this one there could be another where we end up….
And don’t even get me started on an anti matter universe as all positives have an opposite…..eg where do black holes empty their matter to….are they pressure valves between the matter and anti matter universe?
Ha ha….that'll mess some heads up….but that’s what theoretical physics is all about.
Anyway I for one am honoured that the son of God who is the “ Visible one” came to earth and took the punishment for the people He created.
How many of us would do that or even think like that?
The more you get to know Jesus the Christ….the more you realise how inadequate you are and constantly need to lean on Him and His words for guidance and to get reset back on the path called life we always drift from.
Live in a constant state of gratitude. Love people even if they wind you up the wrong way….this is something I need to work on daily as I seem to get grumpier with age when I see what’s going on around me.
Life used to be so uncomplicated and low tech….people allowed to have different opinions and debate them vigorously in a friendly way.
It’s a good thing that Jesus substituted His goodness for mine…otherwise I would have no hope…..when God sees me He will see a sinner with “Jesus was here” stamped on his forehead….that’s the only way I would see what or wherever heaven is….it is a gift from God.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 19 Nov 2023 at 8:23am

… sure thing flopti
- kewl story and all ;)

“ I may well be way off track “ … yes… precisely ;);)

& “…but it seems fairly logical that if God made this one there could be another where we end up….”

- well… depends on how u wanna define ‘logic’ … or …ummm …lack of ;);)
…strange pursuit trying to invent stuff and present it as fact.

…and … haha ;);)
…that thing that is supposedly gonna be ‘stamped on your forehead’…

Look closely ;);)
- your endless bullshit is the real gift that keeps on giving ;)

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/JDgwRfTMOt0

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 19 Nov 2023 at 8:25am

;);)

Faaaaaark ;)

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Sunday, 19 Nov 2023 at 10:37am
Optimist wrote:

It’s a good thing that Jesus substituted His goodness for mine…otherwise I would have no hope…..when God sees me He will see a sinner with “Jesus was here” stamped on his forehead….

And the children of Gaza? I’m guessing like everything else, they ran out of ink??

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 19 Nov 2023 at 12:46pm

;)

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 19 Nov 2023 at 5:40pm

I suppose I should feel important that I have my very own private troll …….
….in a creepy kinda way.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 19 Nov 2023 at 6:28pm

… u could consider the feelings of the children of gaza

- instead of being so self indulgent and pretending your feelings or creepy beliefs are the centre of the universe ;)

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Sunday, 19 Nov 2023 at 6:58pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

… u could consider the feelings of the children of gaza

- instead of being so self indulgent and pretending your feelings or creepy beliefs are the centre of the universe ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g0WCBevFCf4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXjcYQaa7dc

Exactly J.F. Doesn't matter if it's not their kids.
I got cornered by a couple of religious nutjobs the other day. I made an involuntary groaning before excusing myself and getting the hell away from there.
In their wisdom, what's happening at the moment is a 'good thing'.
It's all part of the 'coming together' of the greater plan.
Fark me. Fk religion!!!! Satanists. The lot of them!

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 20 Nov 2023 at 2:48pm

;);)

&pp=ygUVYmVhdGxlcyBjb21lIHRvZ2V0aGVy

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 21 Nov 2023 at 3:19pm

For all you non believers out there
https://www.facebook.com/groups/aus.atheists

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 21 Nov 2023 at 3:34pm

;)

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 9 Dec 2023 at 9:20pm

Just spent 9 hours helping a sort of relative move house. She is very religious. It was an eye opener into her religious life- seeing the huge number of religious books, prayer books, bible study notes. Many looked unread but she had to buy them.

Study guides had homework - spaces to write your answers - like a test.

I opened a few books at random and skimmed a page or two and just was left wondering who can be bothered reading all that gumpf. Endless cogitation and repetition going round in circles with mystical ramblings by someone(s) who think they know stuff they are only guessing at.

Her faith is a full time job these days as with zoom there is a meeting, study group or event 2 to 3 times every day if you want.

They keep the faithful so busy and involved in meetings and events they have not time to think or even enjoy, in her case, her crafts and hobbies. On purpose? Thinking might make them think wtf...

Why is it all so complicated? So convoluted and wordy? So unappealing to most?

I said "sounds like torture" She said "I love it...."

If God is real it could be summed up as:

God up in sky. Be good.

A two sentence bible right there! Masterful!

What else is there to say?

Are all those words just to paint over their doubts with thick layers of mysticism and complexity?

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 9 Dec 2023 at 9:27pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 5:19pm

?si=s566F_Zge3H8EAt1

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 20 Dec 2023 at 4:21am

Up early and saw this from video from Udo. Interesting watch for sure. I can confirm that it is true and it does work.
If you had seen the things I have seen over the last 40 years you would have no doubts and I’m far from a perfected human….real far.
He finds you where you are when you reach out …no matter where that is….its how we are designed .
It’s also the reason we constantly and foolishly try and substitute something better to fill the void when we don’t….but it doesn’t work…..that’s not how we were designed.
The relationship is symbiotic….and it’s awesome….and it’s eternal.
Merry CHRISTmas.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 20 Dec 2023 at 6:49am
udo wrote:

https://youtu.be/dUqDPEM9Bvw?si=s566F_Zge3H8EAt1

Really. Hmmm. A GOD is nothing more than a belief, full stop..AW

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 25 Dec 2023 at 8:04am

A very happy Christmas….l was pondering again on the way God thinks. He certainly doesn’t do things the way anyone expects. The world was waiting for the Messiah and expected Him to be some mighty warrior to wipe out all the evil people and make earth a paradise in which to live.
This was especially the way the Jewish people were thinking under now Roman occupation. Their home land had been attacked by the Assyrian’s , the babylonians, the Persians and Medes, the Greeks and then the Roman empires. They were over it all and a warrior messiah was the forecast.
But then came a baby, born in a barn to Joe and Mary …..can you start to see the way God thinks….from the least comes the greatest.
The messiah did come to wipe out evil, but the evil in the human soul for everyone who call upon His name with a desire to be reborn and saved for a wonderful future with Him.
Sin Satan and death were defeated on that cross. The problem wasn’t Roman’s or babylonians etc…it was the darkness of sin that tarnishes the human soul.
Jesus the Christ, creator of all things came and settled the score Himself…life for life…sinless for sin taking away the judgement from all those who call upon His name….the creator became one of us.
Some of you reading this may be alone this Christmas. Away from friends and family. …But be assured God is always with you…reach out and enjoy His presence.
There is great comfort in being in harmony with God through Jesus Christ.
Have a peaceful , happy and very blessed Christmas.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 25 Dec 2023 at 8:19am

Happy Christmas and a very HNY .

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 25 Dec 2023 at 8:17am

Peace be with u Oppy to and everyone else .

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 25 Dec 2023 at 10:44am

Merry Christmas to you all from little old NZ.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 25 Dec 2023 at 4:13pm

Happy birthday to the most famous Jew from Israel.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 25 Dec 2023 at 6:06pm

Bob Dylan was born on Christmas Day?

Happy birthday Bob and Merry Christmas Indo. All the best for 2024.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 25 Dec 2023 at 7:13pm
zenagain wrote:

Confused with Shane MacGowan... Happy birthday Shane and Merry Christmas also... Or is it solstice day. Or just schroom day¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Whatever, peace and love!

&t=225s&pp=ygUXTXVzaHJvb20gZGF5IENocmlzdG1hcyA%3D

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 3:55pm

&pp=ygUPcmVsaWdpb24gcGFyb2R5

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 4:21pm
zenagain wrote:

No Bob wasn't born in Israel either.

You know who was though to Jewish parents, in August though.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 5:10pm

I agree, humans have a great void and inquisitiveness that needs feeding. Quite beautiful. But if not fed, your brain eats itself or needs numbing, as we all know. If you find a religion that does that for you, great, AW uses the natural world, my mum uses kindness, Tom Cruise uses science fiction. Choose the poison that best suits and that you feel is healthiest. Music, travel, camping, cinema, history, science, woodwork. so much there to put our noggins into. Otherwise you can sit in Google-wormholes and decide 'the truth is out there' if only 'the others' could see it. Lucky here, we all got surfing and the sea, and we all know that helps.

This was sent to a few friends years ago (to tie together udo/optimist posts, bird thread, bit o' string theory for bozos, linen, narcissism, and zimmerman 'times they are a changing'.. ) here is a true visionary (and an example of what can happen if you have lived your life under a polished affirmation stone, and don't feed the void with something useful), the most interesting bit is the pigeons in the background.

I hope you understaaand it. It might be hard to understaaand. farking long and drawn out, I didn't last 10 mins. warning: you'll lose about a million braincells a second.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 6:31pm

She had me laughing within a minute when she says ‘get a notebook because this’ll be the best video I’ve ever put on YouTube, without a fact’
Haha no doubt a slip of the tongue. None the less a minute or two later, yeah nah.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 6:46pm

I lasted 1.53minutes, that’s watching the video, I mean . Another rich pocket prophet. AW

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 5:41pm

Year of our Lord Jesus 2024.
Yep the whole world , every nation and people still acknowledge the coming of the Christ whether they realise it or not. We set the clock by Him.
That’s some kind of influence from the carpenter from Nazareth.
Hope you have a great year with your eyes wide open….for the times they are a changin…..and the end result a foregone conclusion….look to Christ and look up…thats where hope is…that’s where it all started and that’s where it will end.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 6:21pm

Is the end nigh Opti?
IMG-4885

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 6:22pm

Hello Optimistic

Am guessing God , was around before JC and that Mother Earth will be around for another billion years or two .

Maybe God is all around us , always was and always will be ?

Maybe we should just live with the Universal Spirit , every second of every day and not waste time thinking about it , too much ?

No questions , just my thoughts :)

Your good thoughts are good imho

I didn’t watch the video , for 1 second .

Edit

OMG - seeds has seen , and photographed , the Light !

Edit 2

It’s the guitar person !!!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 9:27pm
Optimist wrote:

Year of our Lord Jesus 2024.
Yep the whole world , every nation and people still acknowledge the coming of the Christ whether they realise it or not. We set the clock by Him.
That’s some kind of influence from the carpenter from Nazareth.
Hope you have a great year with your eyes wide open….for the times they are a changin…..and the end result a foregone conclusion….look to Christ and look up…thats where hope is…that’s where it all started and that’s where it will end.

Optimist. Hi. Merry Xmas and a HNY.
A year ago I penned a story about a carpenter from Nazareth, remember, he was doing cashies on the side and I remarked that a call out on Saturdays or Sundays would be ‘double bubble’ or even ‘triple dibble’ on Sundays.

What’s gone wrong, is he out of business ?

He’s been spending way too much time on Facebook, X, Instagram and other social platforms , he’s even got his own OnlyFans page, scantily clad in linen and disguising his ‘wood’ pecker.
You’re even laying down a few Bob Dylan lyrics, you must be loosening up or just heading for another ‘joint’, Bethlehem.

My understanding of your preamble is that he’s now an ‘influencer’.
Haven’t we already got enough of those clowns in the world.

As an atheist, I regard all of your cohorts as influencers. Just a bit of fun. Keep well.AW

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 10:10pm

Haha. Time and numbers eh?
I'm pretty sure Maths was around when Opti's little god was invented.
Maybe that particular deity skipped class?
I'm sure there's a verse to explain it....somewhere. There always is in hindsight.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 10:12pm
basesix wrote:

I agree, humans have a great void and inquisitiveness that needs feeding. Quite beautiful. But if not fed, your brain eats itself or needs numbing, as we all know. If you find a religion that does that for you, great, AW uses the natural world, my mum uses kindness, Tom Cruise uses science fiction. Choose the poison that best suits and that you feel is healthiest. Music, travel, camping, cinema, history, science, woodwork. so much there to put our noggins into. Otherwise you can sit in Google-wormholes and decide 'the truth is out there' if only 'the others' could see it. Lucky here, we all got surfing and the sea, and we all know that helps.

This was sent to a few friends years ago (to tie together udo/optimist posts, bird thread, bit o' string theory for bozos, linen, narcissism, and zimmerman 'times they are a changing'.. ) here is a true visionary (and an example of what can happen if you have lived your life under a polished affirmation stone, and don't feed the void with something useful), the most interesting bit is the pigeons in the background.

I hope you understaaand it. It might be hard to understaaand. farking long and drawn out, I didn't last 10 mins. warning: you'll lose about a million braincells a second. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56vlfvcJPD0

Basesix. Hi fella. Hard to disagree with all of what you’d written. You summed it up well.
Idle hands and brains, never a good outcome, the mind goes ‘absent without leave’ AW

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 10:26pm

haha, the magical zoo boat, classic @southern. If @Opti is going to quote Revelation, and go all alpha and omega, I guess it's all fair game ; )

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 10:34pm

Shaq’s cubit is huge. He’s African American after all ;)

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Monday, 1 Jan 2024 at 10:35pm

hehe. Not my story to tell @basesix.
As we know, that's already been well covered...
I'm just a conduit of the rationale.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 8:25am

With all this Israel discussion and taking more interest in learning about the area and its history and re looking at religion.

I have to say im even less convinced to be religious, but Ive also realised how important culturally the Judeo-Christian roots are to myself and while im not religious in any way ive realized im still culturally Christian.

And I think we forget or fail to acknowledge how import historically Christianity it is to our Western society's, in a sense i think its the base on which we are built and the glue that has held us together for a very long time, but now i see this glue being destroyed and we seem to be going down a very dangerous path of self destruction.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 9:01am
indo-dreaming wrote:

With all this Israel discussion and taking more interest in learning about the area and its history and re looking at religion.

I have to say im even less convinced to be religious, but Ive also realised how important culturally the Judeo-Christian roots are to myself and while im not religious in any way ive realized im still culturally Christian.

And I think we forget or fail to acknowledge how import historically Christianity it is to our Western society's, in a sense i think its the base on which we are built and the glue that has held us together for a very long time, but now i see this glue being destroyed and we seem to be going down a very dangerous path of self destruction.

Crikey, I always thought Western culture had its origins in classical Greek/ Roman culture and philosophy well before JC came back from his travels in India as a Buddhist Jew .... ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Well there ya go....
Also would also argue Western values are mainly secular and humanist.
Happy new year!!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 9:06am

Haha, yep, andy-mac - the Grand Tour and studying Classics was to see civilisation's roots, a must for any young, engaged thinker back in the day. When Christianity got hold tightly, we ended up with no English monarchy, but Cromwell's Puritanical Protestantism, very similar in terms of rights-restrictions to the aspects of Islam that @indo/RK criticise..

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 9:10am
basesix wrote:

Haha, yep, andy-mac - the Grand Tour and studying Classics was to see civilisation's roots, a must for any young, engaged thinker back in the day. When Christianity got hold tightly, we ended up with no English monarchy, but Cromwell's Puritanical Protestantism, very similar in terms of rights-restrictions to the aspects of Islam that @indo/RK criticise..

Oh and the glorious days of the Crusades and Spanish Inquisition spreading Christian love....
Guess some western values have come from Christianity. ;)

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 9:41am

When I read the ignorant garbage that gets dumped on this thread and when I look around the globe at what’s happening politically and environmentally, I realise that as a civilisation we are practically finished.
The players are all on the board and the game is about to get even more ugly.
Ai is yet to be introduced into the game fully as well.
Our only hope is in Christ Himself, on our own ….we are done.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 9:47am
indo-dreaming wrote:

I think you're fundamentally confused there Indo.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 10:02am

AI and Jesus are one and the same, no? Or am I following the wrong chatbot??

Optimist wrote:

When I read the ignorant garbage that gets dumped on this thread and when I look around the globe at what’s happening politically and environmentally, I realise that as a civilisation we are practically finished.
The players are all on the board and the game is about to get even more ugly.
Ai is yet to be introduced into the game fully as well.
Our only hope is in Christ Himself, on our own ….we are done.

?si=BigeS1aZMaHel3Qx

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 2 Jan 2024 at 1:12pm

At least they have Yehoshua looking like the ME follower of Judaism he was.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 7:27pm

sorry to quote myself, @Pop, but I love this stuff. The idea that God created us in his image is nearly right.. we have always created creation myths and gods in the image of what we need socially; we create God in our image..

basesix wrote:

Thanks for still being here Optimist, this thread was intended as a safe space for you, and any who would like to respectfully discuss these things. I'd enjoy if you included Hinduism and the Veda when discussing your views on non-Christian religions. And the various animisms come to that. I assume you feel colonists and child stealers did right by Aboriginals? At least in their intentions?

It is fascinating, the way religion is created to suit the needs and times, popularised and spread, it tells us a lot about 'us'. Jesus has has an awesome evolution to become a man's-man:

https://www.facebook.com/TimelineWH/videos/the-image-of-jesus-the-dark-a...

I have always liked the mother and child iconography, I think it reminds us that, societies may have been (or are) patriarchal, but if we are lucky and life rolls as it should, we are raised by women. I have certainly aspired to have my Mother's kindness, morals and values in every decision I make and every interaction I have. So I do quite like the Horas and Isis version of Christian propaganda.. certainly more than the macabre stuff with thorns, blood, sacred hearts and the like. But what imagery and iconography (and parables and passages) a Believer identifies with and quotes to people certainly tells you a lot about their inner-self.

fab link above, part of a series about Dark Ages/Late Antiquity art..

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 8:03pm

Hey 6

Have checked out Art a bit .

The early European artists couldn't even work out how to paint a baby ( old heads ) .

Egyptians rulers had the heads of Falcons painted on them .

David needed a small P , although I know the artist enlarged other parts , for symmetry as well haha ( and had to covered and uncovered ) .

Art , as U know , is a snap shot into the time it was made .

I have heard numerous views of even Jesus's colour of his skin .

Not sure it makes a difference , much .

Below is so fn funny .

Are U thinking Ruben , like lol !

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 8:08pm

haha, yeh, how weird that baby depictions sucked shit in so many major art commissions early on?

(I believe that David had a small 'P' as their 'high art' commissions aspired to promote a society of manliness equating to morality, self-restraint, thinking, physical beauty, over... well, whatever those cultures were into that had rough-carved statues with huge dongs, and pendulous knockers ; )