Next Federal Election

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno started the topic in Monday, 22 Jan 2024 at 2:15pm

Might as well put this up in the politics subforum, to spare the front page. It's 18 months away or so, but here we go.

This is how Dutton wins:

https://www.afr.com/politics/enter-the-liberal-party-working-class-heroe...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 7:31am

Agree with sentiment of Labor lacking the balls to implement much needed change in some of the areas discussed.
But the reality on the ground is anything they bring to the table will have the LNP and the media ready to rip into it. This has been proved over and over.
Cannot make changes if ya not in government.
Saying that I think they should stop playing fair /nice and start using some of the tactics LNP use , get dirt files and start going after some of their opponents. There is a lot of material there, parliamentary privilege, get into them.
What the fook happened to the NCAA??
Why when opportunity was knocking no RC into Murdoch, instead meets with Lachlan. Murdoch will never support Labor properly so ignore all his media outlets and only go through ABC and social media only.
Better to die of your feet than live on ya knees. They will probably die on their knees.
Get some mongrel Albo.

https://michaelwest.com.au/jim-chalmers-afr-foi/

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 7:58am

Why was the Climate Minister elevated to Australia's security council ?

Who was removed and why ?

Its hard 2 find answers from this government atm .

What is Albo up 2 ?

Are we allowed 2 know this Stuff , or is it a Big Secret ?

The achievements listed for Albo are quite pathetic really .

The Tax Changes ( were they a promise before the election ? ) , may help .

NDIS tinkering always should be happening .

Work Place reform ????

What one Reform has happened that has helped anything ?

How about Albo start with ensuring NO PM can EVER do a fn Morison and take over our fn government !!!

That should have been Legislated , surely .

Albo is a Jelly Fish , as has no Spine .

So , Albo , mate , U have , really done nothing in two years !

U are in trouble and will be put in the Naughty Corner , 4 sure !

Give Prince Charming a go !

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 8:15am

Just keep bragging about some high level, irrelevant nonsense Pop. I’ll always take a dozen of small but wide reaching incremental changes over 1 or 2 radical ones. While many talk about hypothetical high level stuff, Labor’s done the opposite and implemented a good range of policies that have a positive impact on many people’s lives. It’s a smart, good strategy and I applaud them for it.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 8:31am

60 day prescriptions.
Another small yet important change for many.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 8:39am
andy-mac wrote:

60 day prescriptions.
Another small yet important change for many.

100%. The amount of whinging by the pharmacy guild was ridiculous. The crap they told was next level bs. It was a majorly good piece of work from the govt.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 9:25am

ok flollo

I have nothing to Bragg about , just a spectator in the Outer .

The High level Stuff about making a Real difference , if given the wonderful opportunity to Lead our Country , DOES also seem nonsense , to Labor atm .

Before becoming a Leader , U make a range of promises .

If the Country is Going Great , only small tweaks are needed .

Albo and Labor have had 2 years 2 deliver their Promises .

The ONLY Major Initiative its seems , was the Promise 2 have a Ref on The Voice .

That went well and moved us forward , not !

They have Whole Departments working 24/7 , suggesting on going tweaks , like 60 day prescription , NDIS Changes ( its not working properly , Organised Crime are IN on the Act ) and Work Place Reform .

All governments do , is choose which box 2 tick , every day on this Normal Stuff .

Immigration , Cost of Living , Homes and Jobs lol , high level stuff , is Nonsense ( can't fn understand it :) 2 Labor .

Treasury MUST B pulling the Immigration number Levers , after all .

Albo's only Captains call , is to give that Friendly guy Rudd , the Job of Us Ambassador .

THIS deal would have been negotiated when Rudd , came back as PM ( remember that show :) .

Maybe , also bringing in the Climate Minister , into our Security Council .

Why ?

Kevin is such a diplomatic type , 2 .

Speaks so nicely , of everyone , nearly .

Good Jobs 4 The Boys Call , Albo , maybe no one will notice ffs .

The Number Crunchers are Crunching US , 2 !

Telling Me the Other side will be worse , just doesn't cut it ( never really works ) .

Voters around the World , always give an Opposition , the benefit of the the doubt .

They Can see , feel and know , how a Government is going about doing a Good Job , or not .

Governments loose elections !

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 12:18pm

The BIG high level (and not hypothetical) issues within their control are energy policy and, most of all, out of control immigration.

Energy policy has become a series of ripe prickly pineapples (unpeeled and un topped) going through our digestive track.

Immigration is much the same.

Not much progress or concern for realities and consequences there.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 1:04pm
frog wrote:

The BIG high level (and not hypothetical) issues within their control are energy policy and, most of all, out of control immigration.

Energy policy has become a series of ripe prickly pineapples (unpeeled and un topped) going through our digestive track.

Immigration is much the same.

Not much progress or concern for realities and consequences there.

Yep.... They're taking the piss....

https://m.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 1:29pm

Sure, alternative was even worse in this area so no impact on labor. At least with labor we have some sort of a chance of renewable future

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 1:36pm
Supafreak wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Pop Down wrote:

Great flollo and Andy Mac

I have been asking for Albo 2 be talked up .

What are the Factual good things he has done , in his First Term ?

Forget about the Ref .

I can't wait , as ALL I have seen are problems , he needs to fix .

What has Albo fixed , in 2 years ?

U are not talking about his good moves , at the Taylor Swift concert are U ?

They were just ok ( better than Howard or Abbott , dancing , 4 sure ) , imho .

1. After Covid everyone was really nervous to travel by plane again, but Albo got out there and helped give us confidence to fly again, flying around the globe non stop for pretty much two years, even getting the nick name Air bus Albo.

2. However for all those still nervous to fly, he increased immigration to all time highs, so we dont have to go to them, they can come to us, there is also now no need to go to India to see people living in overcrowded conditions or USA to see homeless people, now you can see both at home in Australia.

3. Alice springs had a bit of a bad wrap there for a while and tourist numbers were down, so Albo flew out and spent 3hrs of his valuable tennis watching time(three days straight), just to put Alice springs back on the tourist map

4. He brought Australia together over this thing called the voice a generous offer and solved the problem of what we would have done with 400 million or so.

5. He is also going to reduce my energy bill by $275 a year by 2025*

* Labor disclaimer your energy bill may or may not have increased much more than this since the election.

You must be really missing the LNP and their policies. Who could seriously vote for spud & sussan ? I forget who’s the current leader of the nationals …. Littlefeet or something …

Nah i fucking love it when labor are in power, i get to pay more on my mortgage, pay more for food and fuel, helps me spend less on piss and useless plastic shit i dont need, and i get to whinge about all the division created and just woke crazy shit, or crazy record high immigration.

Its just a pity they havent sent us into another "recession we had to have" yet, so i dont have any work and then i can just sit on my arse doing nothing in between getting wet.

And the bonus this time with Labor is we have our very own Biden but a younger version an incompetent bumbling fool, cause we all wanna be like the USA hey.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 1:40pm
Pop Down wrote:

Forget about the Ref .

His ONLY term Pop!

1/ amassed a record number of Airbus points !

2/ Raised the BS level to a point that future Pollys wont ever reach.

3/Undertook(along with Prince charmless) to learn how to run a chook raffle( its a 3 year course and hes a few semesters behind)

? 4get about the 450m $ ref0.DUMB, get prince charmless to grant you that wish!

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 1:42pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Pop Down wrote:

Forget about the Ref .

1. After Covid everyone was really nervous to travel by plane again, but Albo got out there and helped give us confidence to fly again, flying around the globe non stop for pretty much two years, even getting the nick name Air bus Albo.

2. However for all those still nervous to fly, he increased immigration to all time highs, so we dont have to go to them, they can come to us, there is also now no need to go to India to see people living in overcrowded conditions or USA to see homeless people, now you can see both at home in Australia.

3. Alice springs had a bit of a bad wrap there for a while and tourist numbers were down, so Albo flew out and spent 3hrs of his valuable tennis watching time(three days straight), just to put Alice springs back on the tourist map

4. He brought Australia together over this thing called the voice a generous offer and solved the problem of what we would have done with 400 million or so.

5. He is also going to reduce my energy bill by $275 a year by 2025*

* Labor disclaimer your energy bill may or may not have increased much more than this since the election.

You must be really missing the LNP and their policies. Who could seriously vote for spud & sussan ? I forget who’s the current leader of the nationals …. Littlefeet or something …

Nah i fucking love it when labor are in power, i get to pay more on my mortgage, pay more for food and fuel, helps me spend less on piss and useless plastic shit i dont need, and i get to whinge about all the division created and just woke crazy shit, or crazy record high immigration.

Its just a pity they havent sent us into another "recession we had to have" yet, so i dont have any work and then i can just sit on my arse doing nothing in between getting wet.

And the bonus this time with Labor is we have our very own Biden but a younger version an incompetent bumbling fool, cause we all wanna be like the USA hey.

Oh dear ...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 1:50pm

@Indo "and i get to whinge about all the division created and just woke crazy shit,"

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 2:01pm

Ah yes, another nuanced contribution from Indo.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 2:04pm
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 2:22pm

Albo was , and probably still is , a hard working young man .

Very smart and capable , as a Minister .

Good with the Media !

The ALP are Ruthless and it's Leaders Expect 2B in Power .

They have Victoria , locked Down and in the Bag .

As PM , Albo seems to have lost something .

Maybe falling in Love , has been a distraction ?

The Leadership of the ALP would have gone ballistic over the Media Coverage , during the last 2 months .

Everything was going alright , before then .

The Internal Labor Number Cruncher's , are now doing the rounds .

Can Albo turn Everything around , or , a Fresh start and we pick ABCD and give them a year ( we can't do another Ruddy Job and change with a few months before an election !!! ) ?

Poor Albo is stuffed imho .

It is like watching Biden , doing nothing and floundering in front of the Media .

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 2:24pm

@Pop "Poor Albo is stuffed imho "

Nah Pop, he'll be fine.
The best thing the ALP have got going for them is actually the LNP.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 2:35pm

Hey Adam 20/20

U are still a one eyed Richmond supporter , by the way .

Your eyesore is gone and eyesight was always better than mine .

I hope you are right and Albo can turn things around ( avoids Blood being spilt ) .

With some quick changes 2 Immigration Numbers , he may get back on track .

I think Chalmers should be given the role .

He doesn't yell at Australians , seems very smart and savvy and is already the Number Cruncher .

The Australian people will enjoy a new Voice and Chalmers sounds reasonable imho .

I don't C another option , not Wong .

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 2:41pm
adam12 wrote:

@Pop "Poor Albo is stuffed imho "

Nah Pop, he'll be fine.
The best thing the ALP have got going for them is actually the LNP.

Haha, I fully agree. If LNP cleared the ranks, promoted fresh faces and put a modern plan together they might have had a shot in the upcoming elections. But with Dutton, Susan and co there is almost zero chance of getting in.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 3:14pm
Pop Down wrote:

Albo was , and probably still is , a hard working young man .

Very smart and capable , as a Minister .

Good with the Media !

The ALP are Ruthless and it's Leaders Expect 2B in Power .

They have Victoria , locked Down and in the Bag .

As PM , Albo seems to have lost something .

Maybe falling in Love , has been a distraction ?

The Leadership of the ALP would have gone ballistic over the Media Coverage , during the last 2 months .

Everything was going alright , before then .

The Internal Labor Number Cruncher's , are now doing the rounds .

Can Albo turn Everything around , or , a Fresh start and we pick ABCD and give them a year ( we can't do another Ruddy Job and change with a few months before an election !!! ) ?

Poor Albo is stuffed imho .

It is like watching Biden , doing nothing and floundering in front of the Media .

Fell in love with rentAgirlfriend !...it was actually a try before you buy plan...she got to see the world for free and next year can pull out.But she served her purpose of a handbag.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 3:29pm
Pop Down wrote:

Hey Adam 20/20

U are still a one eyed Richmond supporter , by the way .

Your eyesore is gone and eyesight was always better than mine .

I hope you are right and Albo can turn things around ( avoids Blood being spilt ) .

With some quick changes 2 Immigration Numbers , he may get back on track .

I think Chalmers should be given the role .

He doesn't yell at Australians , seems very smart and savvy and is already the Number Cruncher .

The Australian people will enjoy a new Voice and Chalmers sounds reasonable imho .

I don't C another option , not Wong .

Yep @Pop, born a Tiger, inherited Tiger blood. Cut me and I bleed Yellow and Black.
As for old mate Albo, he may not be the greatest orator, don't expect any "Light on the Hill" or Redfern Addresses or Whitlam oratory from him, but he is very competent and totally secure in his leadership position. There have been a few glaring disappointments so far for me, but don't go thinking that anyone is counting numbers against him. He has a conga line of potentially great Labor leaders around him but barring electoral defeat, he should go out on his own terms.
As for the LNP, they are a fkn rabble of dumbarses, grifters, religious nutcases and fall down drunks led by the most unelectable leader in their history and the stench of the Morrison disaster lingering all over them.
As the saying goes, bar Albo getting caught with a "dead girl or live boy", I expect they will romp in the next election with him as leader.
Now on immigration, go back to my post the other day where I pointed out the root cause of the surge, namely the policy changes and decisions, mostly by Morrison and the LNP, that meant that the migrants who usually left actually stayed.
Labor are aware of this, Albo has already made decisions, like stripping back the foreign student visas, that will return the numbers to a more "normal" level in the coming years.
We will still have a housing and cost of living crisis, and they still have much work to do on that, and I'm not holding my breath that they are acting decisively or rapidly enough, but of the two majors I'd trust them to act before any LNP government, the fkn idiots that caused most of it in the first place.
Politics and political leadership is the art of compromise unfortunately, they are constrained in what they can do in many cases. If it were me I'd just go "fuck that" and act decisively but they are up against some powerful forces and the inflation repercussions and recession threat.
But the LNP is not the answer, nor is a leadership spill.
Give it time, we'll see how successful they are.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 4:17pm

Adam 12,

"Woke" is simplistic word to describe a grouping of very real social phenomena.

Proof:

Search youtoob for "woke" and you will find thousands of videos decribing endless aspects of individual and group behavioural weirdness, cognitive dissonance and disconnect that repeat and rhyme with a similar world view. A huge proportion revolve around real people in action being, for want of a better word or tedious longform description, "woke"and often very vocally and in many cases amusingly so.

That would be impossible if it is just a shutdown word with no substance,

Alternatively, search for "far right" and the videos are dominated by mainstream media news stories discussing the supposed rise of the far right with very little content on anyone actually being or behaving in such a manner. Far right is a media meme more than a reality of daily behaviour by significant numbers of people. "Far right" is an excellent debate shutdown word as it implies danger and violence. "Woke" is a much weaker shutdown word in contrast.

Who and where are these supposed "far right" people? Sure, small groups here and there. If 10 turn up somewhere in a march, or protest, hundreds of journos froth around them and it makes national headlines - making it appear like some scary movement.

Half are probably spooks under cover just as in the reds under bed commo scare days.

Million upon millions of people are being very vocally "woke" daily.

Handfuls are actually being far right once you exclude spooks, farmers protesting strange new laws impacting their livelihood and worried men and women watching uncontrolled immigration change their country for the worse in the space of a few years.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 4:08pm

Great post Adam 12 .

As you know Immigration numbers can B slashed in one minute .

Look at Covid .

Visa Changes can , and often do , take immediate effect .

Whatever the Disaster Morison fn did , can be Undone and Should be undone .

He had NO right 2 decide OUR Policy and the Nationals never changed !

You and all of SN think Voldy is scary and unelectable .

Give it time and we WILL C .

The Morison horror show is fn Over and the Voters have been watching your mate Albo , weave his magic .

The Voters only really watch , the main Show , that's why Governments loose Elections .

They said Trump had , almost Zero chance of being President .

The Voters thought Hilary/Obama were scarier .

We will C ( when the spooky fog clears ) .

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 4:08pm

Frog, it is also a lazy term used by people of a conservative mindset when they encounter views they disagree with. Like calling anyone who uses it a rwnj. Meaningless.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 5:59pm

Only reason we are not in a recession officially, is the 5 x 747’s full of immigrants coming in every day.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 6:12pm
adam12 wrote:

@Indo "and i get to whinge about all the division created and just woke crazy shit,"
https://twitter.com/SChundercock/status/1771367325864009811
https://twitter.com/SChundercock/status/1771368769237258284

I had to chuckle that this is on twitter/X, seeing the owner of twitter Elon is one of the most vocal these days about being against wokeness and it was in part a driver to why he bought twitter, but i guess he is also pro speech, so you cant go banning everything you don't agree with.

But still it's a weird type of irony.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 6:26pm

@Frog, jeez, don't ask me to get into a debate about stupid pejoratives, and sorry but I'm not interested in going down a youtube "woke" search rabbit hole. I'm half fkn mad as it is, that sort of shit will put me in a rubber room drinking lithium milkshakes.
Like @blackers said, it's just a lazy, meaningless conservative go to catch all and played out as far as I'm concerned. I just tune out whenever it's used these days, I know what's coming or more than that, it tells me all I need to know about the person using it and how much gravitas I should give their opinion. The tweet I posted was from Mike Godwin, the author of the famous Godwin's Law, and like that law, I tend to agree with what he said.
I do see the intent and somewhat vague meaning attached to it, for sure some on the left can advocate for unrealistic outcomes and far fetched ideals, and when it first appeared as right leaning lexicon it had some zing and spice, but it's flavour has gone now. Overused and a weak inarticulate response that just seems meaningless to me now. They need to come up with a better term IMO, it just diminishes into irrelevance whatever point they are trying to make.
Now as for "Who and where are these supposed "far right" people?" well all I can ask is have you ever watched Sky News? Have you ever watched some of the flogs, like Pauline Hanson or Mal Roberts or Ralph Babet or the new number one SA LNP ticket holder Alex Antic in the Senate? Ever heard of Andrew Bolt or Rita Panahi or Greg Sheridan or Janet Albrechsten or the many other shitful Murdoch, Stokes and Costello shills that flood our media and national discourse with horseshit "far right" dribble on a daily basis?
They don't march in the streets as much as occupy the opinion outlets of the robber barons that own our media and they are all over social media. Maybe "far right" or RWNJ terminology is as meaningless and overused as "woke" is, but I feel like I'm bombarded with that ideology and those people and it's nasty, ignorant, self centered and borderline sociopathic to me, more theater than reality, and cover for some of the puppet masters robbing this country blind. "Far right" used to mean "fascist" where I came from, and a lot of what gets trotted out probably isn't that, but it's extreme right whatever it is, and they look and sound like nut jobs to me, just like some on the extreme left do.
And if you want to see "far right" look no further than today's incarnation of the LNP. Moderates all gone, a hot mess of whack job Christian conservatives and ultra conservatives, and grifting numpties fronting for fossil fuel billionaires, stacking the branches from evangelical groups, backed by "think tanks" like the IPA, Advance and so on.
In America, look no further than Fox News and the MAGA movement.
These people are everywhere as far as I can see. Fascism, authoritarianism all on the rise, every continent.
Anyway, definitions are fluid when it comes to politics, and discussing them on forums like this tends to become circular and pointless. We all see things through our own prisms. I respect your views Frog, and am willing to read or discuss anything you write or ask, but I'd rather just post some fun from twitter and try to give you and others a laugh if I can, so here goes...
Do you like singing cats?

Or how about singing dogs?

Or what about stinging cats?

Or when your kid finds a new "pet" and wants to take it home

Or when your turtle becomes a skater

And finally, a twitter classic, this is how to get arrested, when you just wanted to enjoy a "succulent" Chinese meal

Bugger it, a couple more, one for fans of Simon and Garfunklel who like big butts

and lastly Aquaman

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 6:28pm
adam12 wrote:

@Frog, jeez, don't ask me to get into a debate about stupid pejoratives, and sorry but I'm not interested in going down a youtube "woke" search rabbit hole. I'm half fkn mad as it is, that sort of shit will put me in a rubber room drinking lithium milkshakes.
Like @blackers said, it's just a lazy, meaningless conservative go to catch all and played out as far as I'm concerned. I just tune out whenever it's used these days, I know what's coming or more than that, it tells me all I need to know about the person using it and how much gravitas I should give their opinion. The tweet I posted was from Mike Godwin, the author of the famous Godwin's Law, and like that law, I tend to agree with what he said.
I do see the intent and somewhat vague meaning attached to it, for sure some on the left can advocate for unrealistic outcomes and far fetched ideals, and when it first appeared as right leaning lexicon it had some zing and spice, but it's flavour has gone now. Overused and a weak inarticulate response that just seems meaningless to me now. They need to come up with a better term IMO, it just diminishes into irrelevance whatever point they are trying to make.
Now as for "Who and where are these supposed "far right" people?" well all I can ask is have you ever watched Sky News? Have you ever watched some of the flogs, like Pauline Hanson or Mal Roberts or Ralph Babet or the new number one SA LNP ticket holder Alex Antic in the Senate? Ever heard of Andrew Bolt or Rita Panahi or Greg Sheridan or Janet Albrechsten or the many other shitful Murdoch, Stokes and Costello shills that flood our media and national discourse with horseshit "far right" dribble on a daily basis?
They don't march in the streets as much as occupy the opinion outlets of the robber barons that own our media and they are all over social media. Maybe "far right" or RWNJ terminology is as meaningless and overused as "woke" is, but I feel like I'm bombarded with that ideology and those people and it's nasty, ignorant, self centered and borderline sociopathic to me, more theater than reality, and cover for some of the puppet masters robbing this country blind. "Far right" used to mean "fascist" where I came from, and a lot of what gets trotted out probably isn't that, but it's extreme right whatever it is, and they look and sound like nut jobs to me, just like some on the extreme left do.
And if you want to see "far right" look no further than today's incarnation of the LNP. Moderates all gone, a hot mess of whack job Christian conservatives and ultra conservatives, and grifting numpties fronting for fossil fuel billionaires, stacking the branches from evangelical groups, backed by "think tanks" like the IPA, Advance and so on.
In America, look no further than Fox News and the MAGA movement.
These people are everywhere as far as I can see. Fascism, authoritarianism all on the rise, every continent.
Anyway, definitions are fluid when it comes to politics, and discussing them on forums like this tends to become circular and pointless. We all see things through our own prisms. I respect your views Frog, and am willing to read or discuss anything you write or ask, but I'd rather just post some fun from twitter and try to give you and others a laugh if I can, so here goes...
Do you like singing cats?
https://twitter.com/RobertArnol/status/1771068859782439050
Or how about singing dogs?
https://twitter.com/LilaL_Hrv/status/1769125145820459436
Or what about stinging cats?
https://twitter.com/InternetH0F/status/1768006636931621172
Or when your kid finds a new "pet" and wants to take it home
https://twitter.com/LorraineLozza75/status/1767711195023253507
Or when your turtle becomes a skater
https://twitter.com/impresivevideo/status/1767874388672872510
And finally, a twitter classic, this is how to get arrested, when you just wanted to enjoy a "succulent" Chinese meal
https://twitter.com/north0fnorth/status/1767724790175920468
Bugger it, a couple more, one for fans of Simon and Garfunklel who like big butts
https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1768321734212481118
and lastly Aquaman
https://twitter.com/JesusChryslerII/status/1769444288172065015

Using woke terminology.... Word! Ha

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 6:47pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
adam12 wrote:

https://twitter.com/SChundercock/status/1771367325864009811
https://twitter.com/SChundercock/status/1771368769237258284

I had to chuckle that this is on twitter/X, seeing the owner of twitter Elon is one of the most vocal these days about being against wokeness and it was in part a driver to why he bought twitter, but i guess he is also pro speech, so you cant go banning everything you don't agree with.

But still it's a weird type of irony.

Yes, yes Indo, weird and ironic.
But I really think Elon and Trump both got social media outlets just to show off their dancin' skills

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 6:59pm

Good work Adam.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 7:31pm

Isn't "woke" a black American term meaning to guard against racism?

Wasn't it then poisoned by American RWNJ's and used against those with a social conscience?

I cringe every time I hear an Australian use the term.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 7:40pm

Even if people dont like the word woke it's an extremely useful word, (even if an umbrella term)

As soon as someone says something is woke, or he is woke, or the movie i saw last night was good but it was a bit woke, you instantly know what you are dealing with and where things are going and then you can go into more detail.

For instance if the new Charlie and the Chocolate factory movie was described as good but a bit woke, it's a fair guess that the movie and storyline generally remains the same but has had some changes to tick some boxes, for instance Charlie now might not be a little white boy, but a girl of colour, her parent's a gay couple, Willy Wonka gender fluid, and the Ompa lompas are no longer dwarfs.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 7:46pm

It's a sign of ignorance and a lack of tolerance.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 7:53pm

More irony

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 8:45pm

In future please use something like the following in place of the word "woke" so we are not lazy or at risk of using emotive simplistic labels:

"People and / or actions of people and organisations who strongly associate with a social and political movement that seeks to address and correct social injustices, inequality, and discrimination, where there tends to be an over emphasis to the point of disfunction and irritation on others of differing views on recognizing and challenging systemic issues, like racism, sexism, and other forms of oppression and promoting empathy, inclusivity, and awareness of diverse perspectives to the extent that behaviours may tend to produce counterproductive unintended outcomes and exaggerated emotional reactions to events, people and issues a system of thought as well as behavior characterized by intolerance, policing the speech of others, and proving one’s own superiority by denouncing others, whereby bad behaviour can be justified as "rightious indignation" and where thinking unconditionally, or un-contextually allows others behavior to be condemned regardless of its reasons: if you feel offended or believe your fellow tribe may believe you should be offended and finally where virtuous words and language are used to control discussions and demonise alternative views or uses of what are now termed unsafe as uncaring, unsafe words as racist and purveyors of various harmful phobias and lateral violence."

That is the short version. Feel free to cut and paste it into future posts or print it and read it to friends at the pub if tempted to say "woke" in a conversation.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 9:16pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Even if people dont like the word woke it's an extremely useful word, (even if an umbrella term)

As soon as someone says something is woke, or he is woke, or the movie i saw last night was good but it was a bit woke, you instantly know what you are dealing with and where things are going and then you can go into more detail.

For instance if the new Charlie and the Chocolate factory movie was described as good but a bit woke, it's a fair guess that the movie and storyline generally remains the same but has had some changes to tick some boxes, for instance Charlie now might not be a little white boy, but a girl of colour, her parent's a gay couple, Willy Wonka gender fluid, and the Ompa lompas are no longer dwarfs.

Yep, good point Indo, (pfft) like the other day when I was watching Collingwood's Captain speaking about how much the club has changed, with the implementation of the "do better" report into racism. and it's support for the LGB community and their mission statement "Collingwood's ethos is “Side by Side.” Our club aims to unite and inspire people through the power of sport. To welcome all equally. To care for each other and especially for those in need. To help build a just and fair society in which all can participate, prosper and reach their full potential."
And I thought, fuck that club is so "woke", I wonder if @Indo knows about this. No wonder they have started losing like woke wokety wokesters.
And that Charlie the Chocolate Factory analogy, gender fluidity is just "woke", like Bowie in the 70's, "woke"as fuck, and oompa loompa's that aren't dwarves, "woke", you are nailing it with these examples. An "umbrella" term for sure, which is why I never listen to Rihanna, she's so "woke", and blah blah blah, "woke" everywhere you look, it's all just "woke". Using "useful" words is "woke", the color pink"woke", electric cars..."woke", catch and release fishing "woke", shaving your beard "woke", waking up in the morning "woke", it's just a "woke", "woke" world and like you, I'm over it. It's endless really. People not happy with genocide are so "woke", FNP "woke", four cylinder cars so "woke", the Asian Dwayne Johnson, not quite, but nearly...like Jeff kennett says of Monique Ryan, not quite "woke" but close enough

And you did say something there I totally agree with, "As soon as someone says something is woke, or he is woke, or the movie i saw last night was good but it was a bit woke, you instantly know what you are dealing with"
Yep, I instantly know what I am dealing with.
A fucking idiot.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 9:15pm

@Frog: Or simply stop thinking your opinion is more important than someone elses? The irony (do you know what the word actually means Indo?) is you are doing the same thing. The "people and organisations who strongly associate with a social and political movement that seeks to address and correct social injustices" is exactly what you are doing whilst railing against it. Your sense of injustice is just different. Fark me, we live in a democracy, with a pretty much 50:50 split leftish vs rightish, every team gets a go, does some good, fucks the rest up. The other team then gets a go. Rinse and repeat. Righteous indignation is no different whether you call it woke or facist. It's lazy bullshit, usually employed by either morons or those with another agenda.
I'm out. Enjoy your evening.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 9:25pm
frog wrote:

In future please use something like the following in place of the word "woke" so we are not lazy or at risk of using emotive simplistic labels:

"People and / or actions of people and organisations who strongly associate with a social and political movement that seeks to address and correct social injustices, inequality, and discrimination, where there tends to be an over emphasis to the point of disfunction and irritation on others of differing views on recognizing and challenging systemic issues, like racism, sexism, and other forms of oppression and promoting empathy, inclusivity, and awareness of diverse perspectives to the extent that behaviours may tend to produce counterproductive unintended outcomes and exaggerated emotional reactions to events, people and issues a system of thought as well as behavior characterized by intolerance, policing the speech of others, and proving one’s own superiority by denouncing others, whereby bad behaviour can be justified as "rightious indignation" and where thinking unconditionally, or un-contextually allows others behavior to be condemned regardless of its reasons: if you feel offended or believe your fellow tribe may believe you should be offended and finally where virtuous words and language are used to control discussions and demonise alternative views or uses of what are now termed unsafe as uncaring, unsafe words as racist and purveyors of various harmful phobias and lateral violence."

That is the short version. Feel free to cut and paste it into future posts or print it and read it to friends at the pub if tempted to say "woke" in a conversation.

performative virtue signallers?

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 9:33pm

@Frog, far out, that's the short version? Can you cut and paste the long form for me? I like more words in my word salads, (yes I know, eating salad is "woke")
(PS You do know that as they are mostly green, frogs are "woke" too. Just sayin')

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 9:44pm

I agree @indo, people should be more tolerant of a glib umbrella-term appropriated from black-america by conservatives as a kind of in-tribe dad joke. As we know, dad jokes only get funnier and more engaging the more they are repeated. Especially for the youth. To do any less than tolerating this phenomenon would be just being triggered. Just smile tolerantly when people say woke, clock it as a non-conversation with a rankled, and move on.

(fyi, wonka, though having really good production, is just kinda saccharine and boring, not woke per se, but none of the mental-instability and unpredictability from wonka that made the dahl stories so cool).

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 9:55pm

“Please Just Fucking Tell Me What Term I Am Allowed to Use for the Sweeping Social and Political Changes You Demand”

https://web.archive.org/web/20211108155321/https://freddiedeboer.substac...

“And for fuck’s sake, give me a simple term to use to address you. Please? Because right now it sure looks like you don’t want to be named because you don’t want to be criticized.”

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 10:15pm

I guess a simple way of putting it is woke is a term taken from marginalized group by white conservative privileged wealthy or middle class Americans and weaponised against them in a derogatory way, it's certainly used here as a derogatory statement or label its origins / history likely unknown.

If you are comfortable with that carry on but I really don't see where it can fit into Australian culture as its basis is cynicism of American crap / BS.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 11:08pm

@Bonza, except it's not just used to identify people demanding "sweeping social and political demands", it's, as Indo pointed out, an "umbrella" term for anything and everything and anyone that conservatives disagree with or want to attack, ergo, the fluff from ex Neighbors starlet Holly Valance that got a front page run in the press and columns this week and was amplified through our media cycles and social media all week with ridiculous articles like this...

"Our" Holly said "Australia is woke" so she won't be coming back.
Now apart from the fact that it's twenty years since anyone heard from her or saw her and "young" people wouldn't probably know who the fuck she is, I think most young girls are more into Taylor Swift, (Yes, she's probably woke too) what the fuck does "Australia is woke" even mean? Did it really deserve front page coverage and endless hours of shock jock content and opinion dribble like Albretchsen's?
Is Australia performatively virtue signalling? Is Australia doing the short version word salad Frog posted? And I wonder what Toadfish Rebecci or Alf from Home and Away thinks, maybe they think Australia is woke too and they get front page coverage in the Oz too.
Does this shit even mean anything except a played out whingefest from the right?
They need to move on from this "everything I don't like is woke" mentality, it's not getting any traction except among themselves, echo chamber stuff. It won't get Dutts into the Lodge, that's for sure. As Melania Trump would say "be better". Explain to the punters what the problem actually is, not just call it all "woke". Articulate the real problems, the real grievance.
To me, it's just a conservative calling card, it's an "in the club" word they use not to identify the virtue signalling perfomative leftards so much but a badge, a word they use to signal each other who they are and where they align politically. I've got no problem with that really, except it is just so unimaginative, so played out and so boring. Just makes me roll my eyes and brace myself for some more incoherent bullshit. It's a virtue signal itself, it's performative itself to my way of thinking.
Anyway guess I'll have to just deal with it, it's here to stay, ho hum, hairy bum.
Fun discussion, sort of. Go woke go broke boys, let's go Brandon, be better.
But I do prefer my oompa loompa's as dwarfs, so Indo, maybe I'm not so woke myself.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 11:50pm

The kids aren't turning right, they just know when shit's gone too far.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 24 Mar 2024 at 1:30am
AndyM wrote:

The kids aren't turning right, they just know when shit's gone too far.

and that is why it is a thing...

interestingly, my twisted and tormented little algorithmn is more full of people trying to deny it's existence than RWNJ's and the their gormless examples...

2 days ago, I didn't even know who holly was, and have seen nothing of the fallout except for on here

make of that what you will...

people can blame murdoch and the like all they want, and post trashy 'the austalian' articles as some sort of proof of the distaste of such discussions...

but sorry, it's a thing...

and it has gone way too far

well into the realms of the destructive and dangerous...

the term may be tired, but it ain't stopping... or even backing off...

so buckle up benchongs!

https://www.thefp.com/p/ex-google-employees-woke-gemini-culture-broken

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 24 Mar 2024 at 1:56am
I focus wrote:

I guess a simple way of putting it is woke is a term taken from marginalized group by white conservative privileged wealthy or middle class Americans and weaponised against them in a derogatory way, it's certainly used here as a derogatory statement or label its origins / history likely unknown.

If you are comfortable with that carry on but I really don't see where it can fit into Australian culture as its basis is cynicism of American crap / BS.

you missed a step in the process...

and since you mentioned class and colour its kinda an important oversight

white middle class college kids 'culturally appropriated' it well before 'white wealthy conservatives' took it...

the kids, their mums, and their lecturers...

who were simutaneously cancelling and hysterical about every little 'micro-aggression'

...and beating up on just about eveyone...

even the worst of rwnj's now never use the term in a derogatory manner towards it's original intended use

Slackjawedyokel's picture
Slackjawedyokel Sunday, 24 Mar 2024 at 7:23am

At its core the defining characteristic of “woke” is extrapolating a statement on culture from an initial falsehood. Woke isn’t about acceptance or inclusiveness, It can be presented sanctimoniously but this is just sanctimony painted over the Woke background.

Here’s an example of Woke from a current Beachgrit article on Chris Davidson and his killer :

Kahzi Two Star Troll
14 hours ago edited
A classic example of unjustified entitlement.
The judge is correct. The sentencing, and death is beside the point, but reason enough for BG et al to "comment".
Davo - and his reportedly other-worldly surfing talent - was taught via 90's era surf mythology that he was a golden god, and had "earned" the right to exorcise his sexual proclivities unhindered by the personal safety and space of the girls he targeted. This delusion is played out in the myriad of male self-perception emboldened by a good to excellent period of performance in any given male-dominated sport. Or business field...etc etc.
Grub felt he "owned" the women folk of SWR, in as much as he felt it was his role to protect his "property". This is as abhorrent as sexual harassment in that it invokes the delusion that has Grub - in his own mind - as the hero. The problem is that the personal safety and space of the people he purports to protect is demonstrably secondary to the theatrical violence that reinforces his self-image. Any benefit to women's safety - if it exists at all - is merely a by-product of him acting out a pantomime of who he thinks he is.
Anyone paying attention would understand that the problem driving this tragic outcome is systemic.“

Slackjawedyokel Sunday, 24 Mar 2024 at 7:29am

Perhaps the best and most relevant example of Woke in Australia is the deployment of the accusations racism and bigotry to silence concerns about population growth rates / levels of immigration.

As these accusations originate both from the corporate right and the socialist left side of politics, we can see that Woke is not the realm of just one side of politics. It’s more likely a technique used by the horseshoeing extremes of ideology against the sensible middle.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 24 Mar 2024 at 7:42am

How widespread is this ‘problem’?

Anyone here actually been ‘cancelled by the ‘woke’ brigade’? If so, keen to hear how that occurred and how’s it’s enforced.

Anyone here actually personally know anyone that has been ‘cancelled by the woke brigade’? Not an anecdote or an example from media reporting.

I know a few people that have said insensitive, borderline or actual racist, sexist or discriminatory shite and been called out on it.

Is that woke cancelling? Coz I’m OK with that. Should it be the basis for permanent disbarment from public discourse? Hell no. But I’ve heard a few people railing against wokeness when what they’re actually complaining about is being accountable for their words and actions. And these characters reflect a particular demographic. My demographic, and I’d dare suggest most of the SN demographic, actually.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Sunday, 24 Mar 2024 at 8:09am

etarip

I greeted a new young Guy , I had been emailing and working with , on our first face 2 face meeting , with a Friendly Hug .

He became my permanent assistant and we are good friends .

One young girl saw it and reported it 2 management .

The Boss didn't like me , so gave me a grilling and an Official Warning ( again ) , 4 Bullying .

I took them 2 Fair Work .

Fair Work said I shouldn't hug anyone , in the Office and if I don't , I will be fine .

The Bullying stayed on my record 4 six months ( still on it imo ) .

Work stopped being Fun , so I retired .

I can say one thing at my Golf Club , that is fine , at work , it's a Capital offence .

U can't say someone looks nice , nowadays , in the Workplace .

Asking , how are U , is also a no , no , 2 personal , apparently .

Woke is giving A Crazy boss or workplace , plenty of ammunition , 2 shoot an unwanted employee imho .

Woke doesn't seem to apply 2 Dress Code .

Some of the Outfits I saw worn in my Woke Office , were way too inappropriate !!!