Next Federal Election

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno started the topic in Monday, 22 Jan 2024 at 2:15pm

Might as well put this up in the politics subforum, to spare the front page. It's 18 months away or so, but here we go.

This is how Dutton wins:

https://www.afr.com/politics/enter-the-liberal-party-working-class-heroe...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 11:39am

Neoliberalism, which both the LNP and Labor wholeheartedly subscribe to, is an extreme ideology in pretty much every way you can imagine.
Neoliberalism has resulted in a subordination of human rights, of labour rights, consumer, environmental rights, democracy rights, you name it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:06pm
AndyM wrote:

Neoliberalism, which both the LNP and Labor wholeheartedly subscribe to, is an extreme ideology in pretty much every way you can imagine.
Neoliberalism has resulted in a subordination of human rights, of labour rights, consumer, environmental rights, democracy rights, you name it.

Okay so why then compared to most of the world and compared to any other time in Australian history, why do we have more human rights than any time in history, more labour rights, more consumer rights, more democratic rights, and environmentally more protection than ever?

BTW. These things in general are good things, but they are actually part of the reason for cost increases on housing and even land and arguably are now over the top in many areas.

For instance on one hand it's great that we have building codes and regulations but it makes things so much more expensive, go to Indonesia outside of Bali and Jakarta, and building is dirt cheap part of the reason is because its not over regulated, you get approval to build and thats it no inspections, even builder, plumbers, electrician's dont need to be licensed, the down side, is its a gamble on quality of workmanship and finished product and without proper building codes and inspections, when things like an earthquakes do happen damage is worst than it needs to be, or just simple things like most Indonesian brick homes have rising damp issues. (that cause mould that can led to health issues)

Same with land, it's great that we have environmental protection and strict zoning and all kinds of EPA protection, but it severally limits land that can be used to build on that limits supply that sees higher land prices.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:31pm

universities...

and 'australia's biggest economic lie'

they wouldn't do that... would they...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/graph-exposes...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:38pm

"Okay so why then compared to most of the world and compared to any other time in Australian history, why do we have more human rights than any time in history, more labour rights, more consumer rights, more democratic rights, and environmentally more protection than ever?"

C'mon mate, that's a dodgy statement. The reality is, we're going backwards in many ways.
Neoliberalism specifically aims to undermine labour rights and democracy and is successfully doing so.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:35pm

"...“The Indians themselves know exactly what is going on,” David Llewellyn-Smith, editor of MacroBusiness and chief strategist at the MB Fund and MB Super, wrote on Thursday.

“They care about migration, not education quality. And now Aussie workers, our most vulnerable, and youth are all headed for poverty in low-wage tent cities that belong in Calcutta. This is not government. It is a highly destructive farce.”

Smith blamed “gormless” Prime Minister Anthony Albanese for signing “a bunch of shockingly bad agreements” with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi last year.

“Amazingly, Albo equalised all Indian qualifications with their Aussie equivalents. Even though everybody knows that most of the Indian education system is an immense scam,” he wrote.

“And now come the results. Amid crashing wage growth, overrun public services, and a national rental crisis unknown in Australian history, Albo can’t fill the gash in the Indian dam wall that he ripped open.”..."

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:37pm
Pop Down wrote:

TBB points out Melbourne is Australia's Epicentre for Covid .

Melbourne is also the Epicentre of New Arrivals ( 120k Paulines numbers in Jan , must include Visa's so students ) .

Are the TWO Linked ffs ???

Not surprised that people want to come to Oz after Covid .

Are they bringing it here ?

Not sure why we are so badly affected by Covid , in Melbourne .

It hates us .

Yes.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:46pm

"...Mr Wild added, “What is clear is that the government’s policy is fundamentally out of step with the expectations of the community.”

Advocacy group Sustainable Population Australia (SPA) said Australia’s population growth of 2.5 per cent was “equivalent to that of Nigeria, Senegal and Somalia”.

“Growth of just under two-thirds of a million people in one year on this largely arid continent with a variable climate and poor soils is unconscionable,” SPA national president Jenny Goldie said in a statement.

“It is unsustainable in economic, social and environmental terms. Indeed, it is nothing short of criminal. It is the main cause of the all-time rental crisis and the cruel increase in homelessness, but Mr Albanese simply doesn’t care. He knows he has no voter consent for what he’s doing.”

Ms Goldie said every new person, whether migrant or native-born, required around $120,000 in public funds for basic infrastructure.

“Multiply that by 659,800 and you get $79 billion,” she said.

“That is a huge drain on the economy. It will take decades for the government to recoup those costs in taxes from new immigrants, if at all. Socially, anyone not with their head in the sand has has made the connection between housing unaffordability and recent rapid population growth. These latest population figures will push up rentals even more. Environmentally, our flora and fauna is at increasing risk from human activities and we are not on track to meet our greenhouse gas reduction targets. The government’s 43 per cent reduction on 2005 levels by 2030 is already a pipe dream.”..."

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:59pm

Thanks TBB

Good 2 know , I think , and logical .

All our International Visitors and new arrivals are bringing IN , every strain of covid , that's fn flying around the World .

Not the best news , I have had today , but WE will deal with it , somehow .

Do ANY Senior Medical People / Pollies KNOW this ???

U don't need 2 answer that , as am guessing , I know the answer is Yes , again :)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:55pm

Good to see an official voice get some traction on behalf of Australia's environment, it's been something we've been going on about here for a long time. Notice it's not the greens lol

was going to quote that Sykpan, THERE is the environmental voice speaking out loudly. Who is SPA, are they related to Sustainable Australia?

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 1:07pm

SPA are a not for profit. Totally unrelated to the political party Sus Aus - SPA have been banging the drum for many years. Good resource and mob to support.

https://population.org.au/

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 1:09pm

thanks Bonza. I remember you giving us a bit earlier on in the housing thread (re: the financial stuff) - what's your take on how things have gone post pandemic? Be interested to hear from you and dandandan.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 2:03pm

on the housing vj?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 3:12pm

Immigration is labor's Achilles heel. I reckon Dutton has an opening with his 'tough boy' persona. Although the LNP is also responsible for high immigration he can easily sell a 'change of heart' policy and play a sovereign, populist card. With everything else happening around the globe, his message would land well and win him some points. I am curious if he will do it.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 3:25pm
flollo wrote:

Immigration is labor's Achilles heel. I reckon Dutton has an opening with his 'tough boy' persona. Although the LNP is also responsible for high immigration he can easily sell a 'change of heart' policy and play a sovereign, populist card. With everything else happening around the globe, his message would land well and win him some points. I am curious if he will do it.

Bring in threats of people being scared to go out at night due to black gangs, rapist amongst asylum seekers and that we are being swamped by Asians, yep he'll get some votes with that.
Seen this show before....

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 3:52pm

"...Ms Goldie said every new person, whether migrant or native-born, required around $120,000 in public funds for basic infrastructure.

“Multiply that by 659,800 and you get $79 billion,” she said.

“That is a huge drain on the economy. It will take decades for the government to recoup those costs in taxes from new immigrants, if at all. Socially, anyone not with their head in the sand has has made the connection between housing unaffordability and recent rapid population growth. These latest population figures will push up rentals even more. Environmentally, our flora and fauna is at increasing risk from human activities and we are not on track to meet our greenhouse gas reduction targets. The government’s 43 per cent reduction on 2005 levels by 2030 is already a pipe dream.”..."

if labor's main motivation is just to give the impression we are not in recession...

it's beyond reckless

it's madness

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 4:17pm

elon's gone full rogue on immigration in the US...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 4:23pm

I forget who said it on here, or whether it was just a suggestion...

that the two major parties have an agreement not to make immigration an election issue, sure seems that way...

kinda seems that's breaking down too...

either way, I think its gonna be THE election issue... whether they like it or not...

the immigration election...

I like the sound of that

but my gaawwwwd, it's gonna be ugly...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 4:29pm
bonza wrote:

on the housing vj?

Yeah, housing. I think you gave us a bit when we went a bit financially wanky (stuff like volatility smiles) and brought the conversation back to earth.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 4:45pm

"the two major parties have an agreement not to make immigration an election issue,"

We all know why don't we?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 4:51pm

It would be very tempting for Dutton to brake that promise (if it exists). Conditions are very opportunistic. Contrary to many people on this forum I’m in support of the current Labor government. They’re doing well. Good, balanced governance. I didn’t want big radical changes after all the Covid bullshit. Just give me peace for awhile and they delivered. So, Dutton’s got nothing on them except migration. That horse has bolted, labor can’t really fix it before the next election.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 5:18pm
velocityjohnno wrote:
bonza wrote:

on the housing vj?

Yeah, housing. I think you gave us a bit when we went a bit financially wanky (stuff like volatility smiles) and brought the conversation back to earth.

lol yeah i recall giving you a spray VJ, coming in hot I was without knowing your form. apologies mate. I had to go back and search the housing thread . makes for funny reading. can't find our interaction but i remember it.

i think from memory i was irritated by those assumed privileged ( gsco loves it when i say that ) home/s owners commentary waxing lyrical about advising the potential home owner to go west, conjure their free spirit ingenuity in an MO or rental or some other jazz as an alternative to the at the time - insanity house boom prices and debt borrowing that was happening 1/2 way through covid. where i was like if you can - do what you can - and pay as much you can to get in the market. Hutchy gave me a spray for that lol..
something like that..

https://www.swellnet.com/comment/741974#comment-741974
and page 27 https://www.swellnet.com/comment/749995#comment-749995

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 5:46pm

Gee , I read that second link and that Hutchy 19 , was a DH !

Property was a good buy , back then , compared 2 now .

Don't believe what Old grumpy blokes say , they often have , NFI !

Lucky that bloke pissed off , imho .

What was I saying ?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 5:43pm

ha! Yes it was a good dishing but all good, the forums get better for the different views, you find out the guy you are debating is a jiu jitsu master who understands Qi for example ;)

Given that was in 2021, it's got insaner as despite a 5-20% correction (that rebounded) rates are now much higher, rents are now much higher, people-crush pressures are much higher and people are being displaced into homelessness... what would you do? Work, hang on and pay what you can is an option.

I think if I got into a rough situation (say divorce, with financial destruction that entails), I'd probably still head out to that 'frontier', buy a block under 100K and put a little pad on it for same, if I could. I'd take my ingenuity with me and join the local boardriders.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 5:59pm

Buy a block in Oz for under $100k VJ?

Those Oodnadatta boardriders can get pretty parochial I heard.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 6:19pm

hehe I saw one in 'ChV' so a little drive to the surf a couple of years back at 34K, suggested it to groundy,,,, If you wanted in town I could see 96K block in an area by the sea - admittedly you would have to pay up now as the area has gone up 20 to 30%. It would be small place, in cul-de-sac area but freestanding house/villa you could do...

could see starters in nearby area in 60-70s but that place spooks me after what happened there...

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 6:30pm

Slackjawedyokel's picture
Slackjawedyokel Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 6:31pm

Flollo said :

“I’m in support of the current Labor government. They’re doing well. Good, balanced governance”

I’m truly speechless. I guess if you and yours are personally unaffected by what’s going down then it’s hypothetically possible that you could shrug your shoulders and content yourself that Albo doesn’t send mean tweets and is therefore perfectly suited to be PM.

Great example of how there’s no accounting for politics in people’s lives.

I’m completely lost how you could come to such a conclusion that the ALP aren’t working their darndest to end everything you’ve assumed was established norms in Australian life.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 6:35pm

Heard some waves in this area...

13 Herbert Edwards Drive, Streaky Bay, SA 5680

$110,000

Slackjawedyokel Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 6:36pm

No point discussing how the LNP could wedge ALP on immigration.

There’s no voting our way out of this. The democracy in Australia is a sham. You will never be given the opportunity to change our destiny at the ballot box whilst the two party duopoly system is intact. The media will lie to avoid democratic change. The parties will lie to avoid democratic change. Corporations, think tanks, NGOs, “ experts” …..will all lie to avoid democratic change.

They already all do so.

Forget the ALP / LNP unless the citizens rejoin those parties en mass and change the parties themselves using democracy. That is a possibility. Although you’ll be fighting entrenched corruption at every step.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 6:45pm

quaddy

"Man who eat Ear wax , wakes up with Shinny Bottom " - Confucius

Hard to argue with that Chinese Guy !

This election WILL have Immigration as a Major issue Slackey .

Its blown Up in Australia with the Recent Immigration AND Arrival Numbers .

We have NO housing for them .

The No Vacancy sign , needs 2B turned ON .

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 6:59pm

Zen, just checked that location and the block's still there only 30% cheaper, rather than more expensive!

me likey alternate universe Oz

andy-mac: wind stronger, sharks smaller than your example

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 7:34pm
Slackjawedyokel wrote:

Flollo said :

“I’m in support of the current Labor government. They’re doing well. Good, balanced governance”

I’m truly speechless. I guess if you and yours are personally unaffected by what’s going down then it’s hypothetically possible that you could shrug your shoulders and content yourself that Albo doesn’t send mean tweets and is therefore perfectly suited to be PM.

I’m completely lost how you could come to such a conclusion that the ALP aren’t working their darndest to end everything you’ve assumed was established norms in Australian life.

Sorry, I’m not buying into that rhetoric. Labor had some good moves during this term. That’s a fact.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 7:41pm
flollo wrote:
Slackjawedyokel wrote:

Flollo said :

Sorry, I’m not buying into that rhetoric. Labor had some good moves during this term. That’s a fact.

I concur @flollo

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 7:59pm

Great flollo and Andy Mac

I have been asking for Albo 2 be talked up .

What are the Factual good things he has done , in his First Term ?

Forget about the Ref .

I can't wait , as ALL I have seen are problems , he needs to fix .

What has Albo fixed , in 2 years ?

U are not talking about his good moves , at the Taylor Swift concert are U ?

They were just ok ( better than Howard or Abbott , dancing , 4 sure ) , imho .

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 8:06pm

1.stage 3 tax cuts changed.
2.this was more shorten but reforms to the NDIS saving Aussies a few $$
3.workplace reforms.
There’s 3 things Pop

SJY……some of the established Aussie norms are part of the problem.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 8:10pm

Fresh from the press; parental leave increased to 26 weeks. A huge improvement to the shitty system.

https://www.thebump.com/news/australia-paid-family-leave

Another one - improvement to the child care system. Families earning under $80k can get a 90% subsidy with the new system. Again, a big improvement.

You might not care about these things but I applaud them.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 8:08pm

My wife who works in aged care has had a substantial pay increase.
They are very much essential workers, lots of them recent migrants.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 8:12pm
andy-mac wrote:

My wife who works in aged care has had a substantial pay increase.
They are very much essential workers, lots of them recent migrants.

They are saints. Well worth every cent.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 8:13pm

Repaired trade relations with China.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 8:23pm

Held robodebt to account...
Follow through with NACC not so great though... :/

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 9:15pm
Pop Down wrote:

Forget about the Ref .

1. After Covid everyone was really nervous to travel by plane again, but Albo got out there and helped give us confidence to fly again, flying around the globe non stop for pretty much two years, even getting the nick name Air bus Albo.

2. However for all those still nervous to fly, he increased immigration to all time highs, so we dont have to go to them, they can come to us, there is also now no need to go to India to see people living in overcrowded conditions or USA to see homeless people, now you can see both at home in Australia.

3. Alice springs had a bit of a bad wrap there for a while and tourist numbers were down, so Albo flew out and spent 3hrs of his valuable tennis watching time(three days straight), just to put Alice springs back on the tourist map

4. He brought Australia together over this thing called the voice a generous offer and solved the problem of what we would have done with 400 million or so.

5. He is also going to reduce my energy bill by $275 a year by 2025*

* Labor disclaimer your energy bill may or may not have increased much more than this since the election.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 9:18pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Pop Down wrote:

Forget about the Ref .

1. After Covid everyone was really nervous to travel by plane again, but Albo got out there and helped give us confidence to fly again, flying around the globe non stop for pretty much two years, even getting the nick name Air bus Albo.

2. However for all those still nervous to fly, he increased immigration to all time highs, so we dont have to go to them, they can come to us, there is also now no need to go to India to see people living in overcrowded conditions or USA to see homeless people, now you can see both at home in Australia.

3. Alice springs had a bit of a bad wrap there for a while and tourist numbers were down, so Albo flew out and spent 3hrs of his valuable tennis watching time(three days straight), just to put Alice springs back on the tourist map

4. He brought Australia together over this thing called the voice a generous offer and solved the problem of what we would have done with 400 million or so.

* Labor disclaimer your energy bill may or may not have increased much more than this since the election.

Haha nice attempt at humour there Indo...!
That take you long?

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 9:39pm

These are all good things. Things that should be expected as day to day business for the labor party.
It's far from visionary or difficult. It's just low hanging fruit. I mean FFS labor got dragged in to make changes to the Stage 3 tax cuts, frozen in fear of acting against a promise - a promise they should not have been made if they had the balls, because "they didn’t want to break an election promise" but when the wind turned their way they moved.. arguably counterproductive to the RBA function or economic benefit. China overplayed their hand. The change in government provided the CCP with a welcoming face saving exercise. It has nothing to do with the diplomatic prowess or strategic intent of the labor party. Labor and liberal were peas in a pod until the heat got too much and scomo got wind of a political opportunity.

I agree with stu that it's not the left that has got us to where we are today. but what matters is now and there is some curious shit going on by political parties & campaigners that are supposed to represent the interests of workers, environment and democratic western values. The left electorate seem to be lapping it up - or maybe that's just the squeaky wheel of tiktok twitter being overrepresented in the media-sphere? As someone who cares about the environment, science, inequality, standard of living, evidence etc … I find it all baffling and depressing.
It shits me when i hear the excuses such as that "Labor took that to the electorate last time and lost.." using housing tax / incentives as one example. I won't use a cheesy quote or get my William wallace on but if they keep on compromising on their principles what do they actually stand for? housing, immigration, gas crisis, enviro markets scam bullshit, clean energy transition. These are the issues that need meaningful change for the better. Goddamn it - its taken 700K pa immigration for it to even be a media topic but still, even now, you have the Greens - who will tell you that this is fine everything is ok (e.g. Max chandler-mather insight interview).
Stu is right that recalibrating some of these things will require economic, political and social pain. but it's going to hurt a hell of a lot more later if we don't act now.
That kinda visionary leadership doesn't wash with our politicians who are more than happy to kick the can onto those that follow. At best frozen in fear of another ditch the witch campaign. At worst - well refer to slack and gsco.

I had my hopes on the independents shaking things up but they have been mostly thoroughly disappointing. It's hard to disagree with slack. Same as gsco who I have done the rounds on with CCP and RBA and housing. hyperbole aside he is mostly on the money i reckon.

waveman's picture
waveman's picture
waveman Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 10:14pm

It’s nice to know there is one Senator with the courage of her convictions, and the national interest in mind. How refreshing.

https://www.onenation.org.au/senator-hanson-calls-for-a-plebiscite-on-im...

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 10:27pm

I dunno bonza, what do you expect? The current dynamic has a hyper critical focus on any changes that have an impact on anyone. Criticizing the ALP for picking the "low hanging fruit" says more about our current circumstances than a lack of political will. Dutton gains traction for complaining about the government requiring bipartisan agreement before proceeding with legislation on religious freedom? Because he would have to agree with something rather than just oppose? The system is fucked, not just the one party.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 10:34pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Pop Down wrote:

Forget about the Ref .

You must be really missing the LNP and their policies. Who could seriously vote for spud & sussan ? I forget who’s the current leader of the nationals …. Littlefeet or something …

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 11:06pm

Penny Wong getting straight on the plane as soon as they took office and re-engaging with our Pacific neighbours - was very much needed at the time. They started so well.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 12:07am
bonza wrote:

These are all good things. Things that should be expected as day to day business for the labor party.
It's far from visionary or difficult. It's just low hanging fruit. I mean FFS labor got dragged in to make changes to the Stage 3 tax cuts, frozen in fear of acting against a promise - a promise they should not have been made if they had the balls, because "they didn’t want to break an election promise" but when the wind turned their way they moved.. arguably counterproductive to the RBA function or economic benefit. China overplayed their hand. The change in government provided the CCP with a welcoming face saving exercise. It has nothing to do with the diplomatic prowess or strategic intent of the labor party. Labor and liberal were peas in a pod until the heat got too much and scomo got wind of a political opportunity.

I agree with stu that it's not the left that has got us to where we are today. but what matters is now and there is some curious shit going on by political parties & campaigners that are supposed to represent the interests of workers, environment and democratic western values. The left electorate seem to be lapping it up - or maybe that's just the squeaky wheel of tiktok twitter being overrepresented in the media-sphere? As someone who cares about the environment, science, inequality, standard of living, evidence etc … I find it all baffling and depressing.
It shits me when i hear the excuses such as that "Labor took that to the electorate last time and lost.." using housing tax / incentives as one example. I won't use a cheesy quote or get my William wallace on but if they keep on compromising on their principles what do they actually stand for? housing, immigration, gas crisis, enviro markets scam bullshit, clean energy transition. These are the issues that need meaningful change for the better. Goddamn it - its taken 700K pa immigration for it to even be a media topic but still, even now, you have the Greens - who will tell you that this is fine everything is ok (e.g. Max chandler-mather insight interview).
Stu is right that recalibrating some of these things will require economic, political and social pain. but it's going to hurt a hell of a lot more later if we don't act now.
That kinda visionary leadership doesn't wash with our politicians who are more than happy to kick the can onto those that follow. At best frozen in fear of another ditch the witch campaign. At worst - well refer to slack and gsco.

I had my hopes on the independents shaking things up but they have been mostly thoroughly disappointing. It's hard to disagree with slack. Same as gsco who I have done the rounds on with CCP and RBA and housing. hyperbole aside he is mostly on the money i reckon.

spot on bonza

vj too

the list of achievements was / is looking a bit threadbare actually, expecially considering it took 3 or 4 of you to find 3 or 4 questionable 'achievements'...

2 I'd agree with, but yes, just day to day politics really... no vision no balls... whatsoever...

blackers with excuses... sigh...

its so fucking obvious what labor need to do to sort shit out, its painful to watch, as has been stated by many (expert) commentators, they need to explain their policy and positions and take the public with them...

not try and sneak shit through the back door like the voice and their woeful immigration decisions...

if they do this, libs would be in the wilderness for a decade.... again...

but I honestly dont think albo and some of his more whimsical ball-less colleagues have got it in em...

they're either so bought or compromised they've got nothing in the tank - they just appear weak, even when they're getting it right / winning...

maybe in another 2 (losing) cycles or so they might finally work it out...

or, if chalmers or someone with a bit of actual conviction gets a shot... piss albo off now! ...he's useless...

or maybe pauline will make them wake up sooner!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 12:03am

and its not just immigration where pauline's got it all over em...

is this the frown's more suitable carbon capture method?

fucking insane

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 6:47am

Oh My Stars !

How was THIS ever approved !

Glencore , shit , they know how 2 play the Game and make lots of money .

The Greenies were Freaking out about Fracking !!!

What Environment Guidelines does this meet ?

Typical response , from a Market that is Throwing out ANY idea , that only make fn sense, in the new Green World ffs .

This is Fracking on Steriods !

Pauline is now mainstream .

Doing the Greenies job with this and leading the Immigration Debate .