New PM what does it hold for yours and Australias future?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 8:57am

Well thats done then, no real surprise, it was always going to happen, long term i think it would have been in Labours interest to actually not have got in last time at the start of the global financial crisis, as who ever was in at that time wasn't going to stay in, theres is only so much any government can do, labour actually did pretty good getting us through it on a world scale, but sadly you cant do that without creating debt, I honestly believe the Liberal/Labour thing is as much about cycles and not that liberals are better at managing money, you only have to look at what they did last time with selling just about anything the government owns.

mmmm guess we wait and see if the change is a good thing or not? sure aint going to be a good thing seeing more of Tony in the media, amazing/crazy and almost inspiring that someone who is obviously not very intelligent or well spoken can become PM, makes you feel like you could do or be anything.

Anyway I guess we just have to make the most of it and be positive, hopefully scrapping the carbon tax will bring down prices of electricity bills etc, but im very sceptical.

Hopefully they can sort out this illegal immigration by boat thing, so the true refugees waiting in refugee camps get a fair go on more of a level playing field rather than if your got money and can get here your in while those without and cannot continue to suffer.

Hopefully interest rates stay low but Aussie dollar stays strong.

Also looks like it might be a good idea to make my wife an employee of mine and channel all money from my business to her the year before we have our next kid so she can claim the highest payout possible.

And i guess im going to have to investigate further into this Indo boat buy back thing, see what i can conjure up with the inlaws and there rich jakarta uncle, if Tonys wants to buy some crappy leaky boats im sure we can help him out.

And well i guess im just going to have to continue with this frustrating slow wireless internet.

PS. I couldn't bring myself to vote for either of the big two (directly) i voted http://www.populationparty.org.au I think there on the right track, smart management of our population is the key to staying the lucky country and IMO these guys are more green than the greens, everything comes back to sustainability, not growth growth growth so the government gets more taxes.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 9:32am

Come on?? Abbott? Pencils in the booths? lots of erasers were used i imagine.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 9:36am

plus ca change c'est la meme chose

For the purists I have no idea how to do accents on an iPad.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 9:57am

The thing is, he is here now. Everyone can whinge and bitch all they like, lets face it, he may be many things but he is now in charge of the country. If he does a shit job, the polls will show and in 3 years, we get another choice. In the mean time, suck it up, go surfing, life goes on.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 10:13am

But its fun to have a bit of a winge to feel better, especially the day after :)

BTW. its 2013 and im still going to my local hall and voting by pencil on paper?

WTF is up with that, I thought by now we would be voting online somehow, would have to be way cheaper.

Even better also ban any political advertising and just have one big website with all the policys from all the parties so the playing field for minor parties is more level and the info is in one place and have it so you can compare each policy alongside each other.

Ideally limit to max of ten parties as now there is way to many parties which only dilutes the votes and confuses, im sure it favours the two major parties, i normal vote under the line, but there was way to much to fill out this time like 90 boxes or something.

plus one more thing, the party that gets in if they dont follow through on there promises, there needs to be penalties at the next election that goes against them for each promise broken.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 10:26am

You really are dreaming if you think any of that is going to happen. Like they say, whoever wins, it's still a politician in power.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 10:31am

Apologies, it's probably that we've been bombarded for weeks now and I'm just glad it's over and don't have to have it jammed down my throat for another three years!

You can vote online, I think it is for absentee's or something. For those that are working in remote areas, abroad etc.

If everyone voted on line, how would the community groups with their sausage sizzles cope!!!!! And all the annoying people handing out pamphlets, what would they do!!! And then every channel on tele would have to do normal programing as it would be instantaneous putting all the panel of experts out of a job!!!! Ah, but that would then be Tony's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 10:41am

Murdoch could probably buy a few erasers, maybe a billion or so.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 3:15pm

You really are dreaming if you think any of that is going to happen. Like they say, whoever wins, it's still a politician in power.

By: "blindboy"

Yeah i know im dreaming, but who knows maybe one day, but for now all pollys seem to care about is getting in and staying in, even if there heart is in the right place to begin with i think the whole system screws them up and over, Peter Garrett is the perfect example if he couldn't make a real change then i don't think anyone can under the present system.

No one could ever say Peter got into politics for the money or power he tried to play the game to make a real difference, even playing the game of compromises and got chewed up and spat out the other side.

ksurf's picture
ksurf's picture
ksurf Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 5:53pm

Can you just imagine when Abbott meets Putin. They could ride bareback together in their dick bathers through the Russian forests, swim the rapids, bit of arm wrestling.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 8:19pm

On a personal level I don't think my life will change much. Power bills might drop slightly with the axing of the carbon tax. The NBN was never gonna make it to my rural backwater. I'm on rainwater too so Abbott reducing the River Murray water buyback won't affect my water quality in drought years like the people in Adelaide. I don't even fish much so reversing all the Marine Parks won't affect me either.

But the divorced single mother who lives across the street from my parents in Adelaide knows life is gonna be harder without the School Kids Bonus. That's about $1600 she won't have to get her two kids prepared at the start of next year. She works 3 days a week and as the tax free threshold is going from $18,000 per year back to $6,000 she will take a big tax hit too. Plus her super will be taxed again at 15%. So she's a big loser.

And the overseas charity World Families http://www.worldfamilies.org.au/ that my mum runs as a volunteer won't be able to help as many kids in Indonesia, Ethiopia etc. as the $4.5 billion Abbott is cutting from foreign aid is mainly coming from NGO's(Non Government Agencies). That really translates to a lot of kids suffering in some overseas hellholes.
But if they try to escape their fucked up lives and turn up on boats Abbott has some tough new laws to deny them any chance of a new life.
Labor were also making it harder for them to turn up here but cutting foreign aid and making their miserable lives more miserable just creates a stronger push factor to come here from third world countries.
Abbott needs to find an extra $5 billion dollars per yer so rich mothers can cash their $75,000 paid maternity checks so its all about priorities hey.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 9:01am

"someone who is obviously not very intelligent or well spoken can become PM"

Seriously....not very intelligent....?
(Taken from Wikipedia)
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws at the University of Sydney.
- Master of Arts as a Rhodes Scholar at Queen's College, Oxford.
- Trained as a Roman Catholic seminarian.
- Worked as a journalist, business manager, and political advisor.
- Appointed Director of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy.

I mean the guys got issues for sure but to say he's "not very intelligent" is delusional at best.

Spookypt

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 9:19am

I agree with some of your points YS..I don't know enough about the foreign aid to comment..the NBN will be good for business and city folk, but I couldn't see getting much traction in the desert. I do think his paid parental scheme is too generous but I have a feeling that the senate will not allow it in its current form..so it will be watered down to be fairer and more balanced..(I hope anyway!). I'm not even sure we need it at all!!

Just watching K Rudds conceding speech was a real insight into how arrogant and all about himself he really was right up until his political death..If it is his death(which it surely must be?)..

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 5:28pm

Up to 41 % of Australian adults may not be buying into the current system which requires them to be governed (under threat of violence) and their lack of participation could be seen as a refusal to endorse or even acknowledge this ideology
Are they even being asked what they may prefer in lieu of the status quo ?
7.38 Million without a mainstream voice, perfectly understandable when you consider that the combined total of Labor/Liberal disciples is only 39 % of the adult population.

The term "anarchy" refers to a society without a publicly enforced government.

The numbers are looking very promising Australia.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 5:46pm

Can you please tell us your source for that data della.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 5:53pm

So the sun is still rising and the surf is still pumping.

I'm positive about the future. More people seem to be voting according to issues and the quality of the candidate (e.g. what is happening in Indi - go the independents). The Senate will be difficult for Abbott to control which will make for better government and the Greens are staying strong on the Carbon thing.

We might be headed for a double dissolution but given what happened in the Senate at this election Abbott would be bonkers if he tried.

And the best, it seems like Krudd will fuck off which is what he should have done 3 years ago. Gillard had no chance against 2 opposition leaders. One big fucking sewer rate is Rudd and he talks about the great traditions of the Labor Party. What a wank.

I feel better now, rooted from another great day of surf and some on-line therapy. Life is good.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 6:09pm

Surely now after his display over the past few weeks, even the Ruddlubbers see him for the pathetically self-centred and insincere person he is.

It was never abouth the country or its people, it was only ever about how he looked in the scheme of things. He wanted to go down in history for many things, and he will. Not the least of which as being a massive wanker who held a country back and caused huge damage to one of the two biggest political forces in the country.

Hopefully now it will be about governing, not the latest installment of an insipid soap opera.

People love to say he kept us out of recession - wrong. Not even the mining boom kept us out of recession - it helped us recover better, but what actually ensured the GFC didn't hurt us as bad is our strict banking protocols. Set up by the last Labor govt that had any decent ideas, and that was quite a while ago

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 6:40pm

Source of my pie chart.
Other relevant information is that Australia's population has now reached 23 Million,around 5 Million are under 18,leaving an eligible voting population of about 18 Million.
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseStateFirstPrefsByParty-17496-NAT.htm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 7:28pm

"someone who is obviously not very intelligent or well spoken can become PM"

Seriously....not very intelligent....?
(Taken from Wikipedia)
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws at the University of Sydney.
- Master of Arts as a Rhodes Scholar at Queen's College, Oxford.
- Trained as a Roman Catholic seminarian.
- Worked as a journalist, business manager, and political advisor.
- Appointed Director of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy.

I mean the guys got issues for sure but to say he's "not very intelligent" is delusional at best.

Spookypt

By: "spookypt"

Got to say that is quite a surprise, intelligence is quite a weird thing I've met people who are super intelligent in some ways like a family scientist friend, but in other simple ways they are not very smart at all...maybe he is one of those guys?

Anyway i guess we will wait and see.

BTW. Glad i inspired you to join the forum :)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 7:36pm

as the tax free threshold is going from $18,000 per year back to $6,000 she will take a big tax hit too.

By: "yorkessurfer"

Really? That sucks if its true? I couldn't find anything online to support this though.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 9:51pm

Yorkes, they are not going to Cut foreign aid, their policy is to cut growth in foreign aid, big difference.we will still be giving aid, just not increasing it over time, until Australia is back on track. I'm not for it or against it, just making the point.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 9:56pm

@indo, the raising of the tax free threshold to $18,000 was part of the compensation that Labor brought in for introducing a carbon tax. Now I've heard Tony say if they scrap the carbon tax then we won't need the compensation. It does seem reasonable but if we think the cost of living is gonna drastically drop with the removal of the carbon tax it's wishful thinking in my opinion.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 10:14pm

@salt- However the new government try and spin it they are spending $4.5 billion less on foreign aid than was previously going to be spent. And that has an affect on people's lives in 3rd world countries. Some of those desperate people get on boats to try and get into this country. I'd prefer to try and improve their lives where they are then deal with them when they get here.
Of course the fact that we will be spending almost the same amount on wealthy women's babies highlights the hypocrisy of saying we are reducing foreign aid till the economy is back on track here.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 10:55pm

Don't the people who get on boats to come here have to fork out shitloads to people smugglers for the privilege? And, if they have big coin at their disposal, why are we giving them aid? Somehow that doesn't add up to me...

Surely the people who get on boats are not the destitute people who are recipients of foreign aid. If they are, then they're rorting the welfare system in the true Aussie spirit

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 11:32pm

Surely we should be spending more resources on improving the lives of our original Australians living in third world conditions out there, something neither side of politics has been able to achieve. Both sides have tried to no avail, lets hope someone can do it sooner rather than later

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 11:49pm

@kaiser-The figure i saw recently was between $2000 and $8000 to get on a boat plus airfares to Indonesia. Not exactly a shitload but if they sold all their possessions and families pool their money to send one family member some can scrape it together.
Now foreign aid isn't just a bowl of rice, it's to build schools and irrigation projects, long term things to develop a nation into a more hospitable place. That reduces the push factor of people desperate to leave their homes.
Check out that link to World Families I put on here if you really care to see where foreign aid money goes, but I suspect you don't.
I'm sure if Tony said he was going to cut foreign aid entirely many would enthusiastically vote for him.
I've seen the difference a small organisation like World Families with a budget of around $1 million a year can make so I can imagine the huge impact that cutting 4.5 billion dollars will have on so many lives.

http://www.worldfamilies.org.au/

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Tuesday, 10 Sep 2013 at 8:54pm

YS, if you look through some of my previous posts, you'll see that i am happy to extend a helping hand to anyone who needs help, as long as they are genuine in their need. And, I don't actually have a problem with refugees coming here as long as they come with the right intentions. In fact, I'd be happy to swap them for some of our welfare-manipulating citizens. I was just trying to see how you made the connection where foreign aid (or decreasing of) is the precursor to an increase in boat refugees. Very long bow, if you ask me. Don't nearly all boat refugees claim 'Political Asylum'? Not asylum from abject poverty...

I'm glad that you're fighting the good fight against poverty in far-flung places. I hope it is mainly for our neighbours, and an organisation of such size can have good controls over how its money is dispersed. The real shame of large-scale foreign aid is that very few cents out of each dollar actually funnel their way to those for whom the aid was intended. A problem too big for me to fix, unfortunately. And while I don't have a solution, I will continue to support a suitable level of foreign aid even though it will often line the wrong pockets.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 1:35am

Despite if this current post sounds a bit weird, please give those ^ links a look at.

I really have not read too much about all the following, a few books movies and hearsay.

Ok so had a little red tonight and been thinking,Yorkesurfer really makes some great points in this.Anyway do the world elite, most rich politicians and powerful want the 3rd world to recover? do they care? Dont they make money out of ruining countries and putting them in debt?(shell oil?) Why are those countries suffering? its easy to grow food in a lot of them.In many there is water. tropics i guess has a lot of disease and corruption too.

If they do care, and those countries do recover or become richer than anyone else. Would those people care for us if we lost everything? i mean a lot of the people from poor countries are full of happiness sharing and loving nature, things can change though and greed sure can change people. Brazil, mexico. East Timor wars. The Alamo. Are Australians such as Yorkesurfer a minority caring bunch? A lot of uni students go ape mental and most aussies i meet think how fucked up the boat people situation is, bogans might not.

matt damon elysium, the movie. Seems like a futuristic dramatized classed society of its us or you. we can have the good life but you cant because we certainly all cant. Theres only two waves coming through today four guys out. fuck you buddy.fighting over the last paddlepop.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 8:12am

Got to say that is quite a surprise, intelligence is quite a weird thing I've met people who are super intelligent in some ways like a family scientist friend, but in other simple ways they are not very smart at all...maybe he is one of those guys?

Anyway i guess we will wait and see.

BTW. Glad i inspired you to join the forum :)

Indo, if you found that a surprise some further research will find a few of your key points in your original post also lacking somewhat in foundation. I mean it sounded good for those so inclined, it was just a lot more fiction than fact.

I know forums are for expressing points of view, and I back that expression wholeheartedly, but ignorance without effort should play no part in that process.

I'm not a Abbot blue card holder....his policies have issues as much as any, but certainly there was urgency for change based on the countries current projections.

For me, I'm a long time reader of this forum...never been active and probably if at all won't post much again...

I enjoy the left v right arguments on many topics....I just have the urge for factual reference rather than personal bias/inference as it mutes the debate.

Regards

Spookypt

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 12:55pm

Yeah thats cool thats what forums are about giving or sharing an opinion or view the world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

I still stand by my original post though it doesn't mean im right but it doesn't mean im wrong its just my view, just like you have yours.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 5:34pm

@indo. As someone who has taken a keen interest in politics for the past 40 years even listening to parliament on the radio I must say your original post was right on the money,I couldnt have said it better myself.Don't apologise for being right.The Liberal party's whole reason for existing is to ensure that people born to priveledge stay that way at the expense of the great unwashed.They act like the spoilt private school brats they are and will say and do anything to get their way.
If you think the obscenely rich aren't rich enough and the extremely poor aren't poor enough then you probably voted for Abbots mob.Amen.

oltrainantw's picture
oltrainantw's picture
oltrainantw Saturday, 28 Sep 2013 at 5:18am

timberland boot sale
| shoes
| timberland boots
Adam's pitching, Weatherred's hit propel Holt past Timberland
Print
Email
«
Buy Now
Buy Now
Buy Now
»
2013-09-10T19:00:00Z
2013-09-11T10:12:54Z
Adam's pitching, Weatherred's hit propel Holt past Timberland By Jim Faasen | STLhighschoolsports.com
stltoday.com
September 10, 2013 7:00 pm • By Jim Faasen | STLhighschoolsports.com Loading&#8230
Tuesday highlights
timberland John Burroughs boys swimming coach Leslie Kehr was afforded an unusual opportunity Tuesday during the Bombers' season opening dual meet at home. Read more
Related Links
Photo gallery: Holt-Timberland softball
timberland shoes outlet WENTZVILLE  • Holt senior left fielder Sydney Weatherred gave herself a nice birthday present Tuesday.timberland fashion boots Her third-inning single gave the Indians the lead for good in the team's 5-1 win over host and arch rival Timberland.discount timberland boots “This was the best birthday present ever,” said Weatherred, who turned 18 on Tuesday. “Beating Timberland is extra special, because they were the ones who knocked us out of districts last year. It's nice to come back and not only beat them, but beat them by more than a couple of runs.”timberland boot outlet Holt (6-3) jumped ahead in the top of the first inning and added to the score in the third.discount timberland boots Leadoff hitter Mykaela Arellanes reached on an infield hit, stole second and scored on Kaley Hansen's RBI hit in the first inning.In the third, Arellanes singled, stole second and third and scored on Weatherred's hit.“We got the runs in when we needed them, but early we had some prime opportunities and didn't score them all,,” Holt coach Joel Adam said. “They kept making me nervous because she (Timberland pitcher Savannah Price) ended our season last year.”Timberland (5-3, No. 8 in the STLhighschoolsports.com large-schools rankings) cut into that lead in the fourth.Price ripped a one-strike pitch over the wall in left field to make it 2-1.“Savannah was fantastic,” Timberland coach Brad Schellert said. “When you hit a home run and pitch as well as she did, she got some bad breaks. I tip my cap to Savannah, because we didn't really play behind her.”Holt put the game out of reach in the seventh with three runs.The runs came on hits by Abi Corbett and Kaylee Huecker and on a double steal worked to perfection by the duo, which scored Corbett.“I love it,” Arellanes said of Holt using its team speed. “It's great, and against our rival, it's amazing.”For as outstanding as the Holt speed game was, Indians pitcher Meredith Adam was just as stellar.She allowed just three hits and four baserunners in the victory.“You know, she did a fantastic job of working hitters inside,” Joel Adam said. “She got so many squibblers today, something like 10, 12.”Adam also struck out two as she outdueled Price.
Tags
Joel Adam, Sydney Weatherred, Savannah Price, Kaley Hansen, Meredith Adam, Brad Schellert, Abi Corbett, Kaylee Huecker
View Comments
More Softball-fall stories
St. Joseph's Carter pledges to Evansville volleyball
Hitting leaders
Pitching leaders
Area top 10 schedule
More Softball-fall stories
St. Joseph's Carter pledges to Evansville volleyball
Hitting leaders
Pitching leaders
Area top 10 schedule
Copyright 2013 stltoday.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Advanced Search
| Privacy
| About Our Ads
Web Search powered by YAHOO! SEARCH
stats navigation

Newsletters
St. Louis Coupons: Get fantastic deals — up to 80% off — sent to your e-mail. Sign up today!
Campbell House Museum - 2 Adult Admission for the price of one to visit the Campbell House Museum! (A $16 Value!)
more high school sports
Box: John Burroughs 21, Priory 6
Box: Clayton 24, Affton 21
SOFTBALL ROUNDUP: Timberland rebounds i…
RECRUITING: Akron is right fit for Prin…
Gresham leads No. 2 St. Joe's to a swee…
Shane Barrett • Fort Zumwalt East footb…
Dorrian Gordon • O’Fallon cross country…
Krodinger, Nerinx Hall rebound with 6-4…
Alex McGlassion • Northwest soccer
Maddie Seifert • Lafayette softball
athletic camps
Baseball
Basketball
Cheerleading, pompom, spirit
Conditioning
Cross country
Field hockey
Football
Golf
Hockey
Lacrosse
Soccer
Softball
Track and field
Volleyball
Wrestling
education news
Collinsville students traveled to Europe
Interns explore local ecosystems during orientation week
Patriots in the Park essay winners
Granite City's Patriots in the Park essay winners
Collinsville Latin students win awards
Students can get free passes with Madison County Transit
Teacher wins recycling award
Collinsville Middle School uses grant for laptops for 1…
Contributions pour in during 12-Hour challenges at SWIC…
School children give Chesterfield snow plows a facelift
discount timberland boots
cheap timberland boots