Tiger the Timber Surfcraft Master does one for Seeds

seeds's picture
seeds started the topic in Tuesday, 30 Jan 2024 at 9:02pm

I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a board off Tiger. Bit of to and fro about outline, length, fins, bottom contours and tail shape and this is where we’re headed.
Pretty stoked and hoping it’s the catalyst to get me in the water more than I have been last couple of years.
image000000

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 9 Mar 2024 at 12:24pm
tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Saturday, 9 Mar 2024 at 12:38pm

Thanks I focus. You're a legend!

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 9 Mar 2024 at 3:36pm
tiger wrote:

Thanks I focus. You're a legend!

Love your work mate.

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 9:08pm

All finito, I'll take some better pics when I get the chance.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 13 Mar 2024 at 10:04pm

Lovely.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 8:42am

Firkin awesome Tiger, love the depth of colours in the wood with different light conditions

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 9:07am

Gorgeous. Beautiful work.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 10:59pm

I took delivery of mine this afternoon. She’s a pearler. I gotta say it really is better in the flesh. The timber looks amazing. Had a look at the last 6 channel Tiger did also. It looks amazing especially the darker cedar channels. The photos on here don’t do these boards justice.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 Mar 2024 at 11:35pm

Congrats Seeds. Be kinda bittersweet to wax it I reckon. Enjoy.

Beautiful work Tiger.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 12:02am

Onya Zen. I’m hoping waxing it will be the opening to the portal to the next (last) me. It’s the comeback board. The it’s my time board. The make the most of it, you could be dead soon board.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 7:08am

Hope it brings you lots of joy seeds.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 8:17pm

Hi seeds, hope you have got on top of your work dramas . Your new stick looks awesome, tiger certainly knows his craft well. I look forward to seeing that board in person . It’s great that you’re taking time out to just do you and do as you please at your pace . We are around the same vintage I believe, I was born in 61 and I’m trying to make the most of the next few years doing what I love . Today I got my blood pumping, was enjoying a glassy 4-5 ft surf with another croweater , the conditions changed and wind picked up and it got a bit messy and a bit bigger . Found myself chucking my board and diving under a bomb set , then as conditions deteriorated and got uglier as the current picked up I came so close to getting washed onto the crane wreck , fucking blood was pumping big time . Anyway back on shore and having a rare binny celebrating that I’m still here .

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 9:21pm

Hi Supa.
Nothing like that pure adrenaline rush. Makes you feel alive. Really alive. Awesome until it isn’t I guess.
The work thing may take a bit more time. End game = redundancy please. Hurry up ya bastards!!!
You’re a tad older than me but the way I’ve been treating myself health wise and dealing with stress for too many years has made me feel much older.
First Lembongan wave on Tiger’s board is yours.
Cheers mate

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 9:28pm

Good on you for treating yourself to that board seeds.

Nothing like a new stick to get the keen-ness (is that a word?) levels up.

Also, and I hope I don't jinx it, all boards can break especially in hollow Indo waves, don't be too hard on yourself if anything unfortunate happens.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 9:37pm

Hey Goofyfoot
It has crossed my mind to leave it at home but I couldn’t do it I’ve decided. Plus means I’d have to spend buying others.
Stay tuned. Tiger and I are nutting out another soon.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 9:37pm

@tiger , would your boards be stronger than the normal board ? @seeds , I know that stress demon all too well, after the last few months it’s leaving me thank fuck .

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 9:50pm
seeds wrote:

Hey Goofyfoot
It has crossed my mind to leave it at home but I couldn’t do it I’ve decided. Plus means I’d have to spend buying others.
Stay tuned. Tiger and I are nutting out another soon.

Awesome! Can’t wait to see the next instalment.

And yeah I agree, boards are for surfing, not hanging on walls. Enjoy!

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 10:12pm

They are made to be surfed, I put as much time into the performance aspect of them as the aesthetic.
As for strength Supa, they are far superior in durability to regularly made boards.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 10:15pm

That’s what I wanted to hear , thanks tiger .

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Saturday, 16 Mar 2024 at 8:12am

Tiger.

It’s a great credit to you for that board you built for.Seeds. Truly looks amazing. The incremental stages and photos of the construction show us the time scale and the appreciation of commensurate costs that would be applied to the purchaser. Well done.

Moreover, it highlights the skill of a knowledgeable person (yourself) who’s on top of your game, exhibiting fundamental building and conceptual skills that you’ve inherited or acquired from mentors, that we know us humans have in us , it’s refreshing to observe.

It seems these days, skill or those skills you possess have often been put on the back burner or subconsciously been filed away in a cardboard book on a shelf in a garage because today’s manufacturing is all about ‘more speed less haste’.AW

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 16 Mar 2024 at 8:47am

AW

As Tiger's and Seeds board shows , craftsmanships and beauty are always inspiring .

We lost the knowledge of how some Old Civilisations Did Things .

Like how 2 move and connect , 100 ton Rocks and build Pyramids .

Languages have been lost and forgotten .

We now Record , all this stuff .

Humans love Doing Stuff .

One daughter loves Knitting :)

My AI Dishwasher doesn't DO as good as job as can , but I love it :) as I AM busy :)

U and Seed plants seeds better than AI , 4 sure :)

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Saturday, 16 Mar 2024 at 4:42pm

AW and pop, thanks so much for your kind words. Its really nice to receive recognition for craftsmanship, as hands on abilities seem somewhat undervalued in modern times. Sometimes I think I'm mad making boards this way, so fiddly and time consuming. But I get so much satisfaction from the entire process, turning a concept/visualisation into a functional and aesthetically pleasing finished product. I'll keep the build threads coming if you guys wanna see them.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 16 Mar 2024 at 6:12pm

tiger

Your stuff is cool , beautiful and unique .

Please keep Doing this Stuff :)

Am wondering how much a 6 by 3 ft Dark wood , coffee table , like this , would be 2 fn buy :)

Priceless .

I need 1 .

Seeing a board in the water ,now that would B very cool 2 imho !

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 9:42am

We could put some removable legs on a surfboard, then you could ride it and use it as a coffee table! ; )

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 11:17am

futures or fcs legs @tiger? @Pop is a mid-century guy, I can see him wanting a tapered leg with good rake and cant.
(please keep posting tiger, it's great stuff to be able to see in this way)

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 12:07pm

Base 6

Exactly , a Mid C , ankle guy , 4 sure .

A good rake and cant , sound good , and will come in handy , probably .

Tigers Stuff , just HAS the right , Look :)

Very EASY on my old eyes .

"Geta Tiger in Your Tank "imho !

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Sunday, 17 Mar 2024 at 6:09pm

Cheers B6 and pops. Maybe some of those weird fins Curren uses for legs!

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Wednesday, 20 Mar 2024 at 10:08am

Couple more pics of the new 6 channel. Dims came in at 6'5" X 19 3/4" X 2 1/2".

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Mar 2024 at 10:37am

John Lennon said it best:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful,
beautiful board

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 20 Mar 2024 at 10:48am

Especially at the end- Darling, darling, darling, darling surf.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 20 Mar 2024 at 10:56am

(goodnight surf.. see you in the morning..)

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Wednesday, 20 Mar 2024 at 9:16pm

New boards on the go. Seeds has ordered another one, and decided to go rogue. 6'2"/6'4" assym.

And I'm missing my midlength twin that I recently sold, so making a 6'7" version of it (unless someone decides they want it more).

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 20 Mar 2024 at 9:25pm

I want it more.

no I don't.

yes I do.

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Wednesday, 20 Mar 2024 at 9:53pm

It would suit you well Steve. You'd be surprised how good they go backhand on a point break.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 21 Mar 2024 at 5:00pm

I like the asym outline for sure. Just what I imagined. This is for small mainly beachie surf. Like a fish type board.
Being eps, and the problems I’ve discussed with you before the last build, about my experience of the tail not engaging on wide tail eps boards in my (I know SFA) opinion, is the tail section small enough.
For everyone else I found them to be too loose to the point of no control

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 21 Mar 2024 at 5:08pm

Is that tail gunna engage enough? Want plenty of paddle foam up front but for such a wide board what you think the tail will be like re above.
Those channels in last one greatly reduced volume back there but also would provide grip.
I know we briefly discussed things but let’s put it out to people here.
Would channels work here? Maybe single concave to V out the back? Single to double?

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 21 Mar 2024 at 5:51pm

I love the Blue Colour , U guys chose , 2 frame the board ( piece of art :) .

Beautifully matches the Style and wood imho .

U guys are being Very nautical , which is Cool !

Friggen fantastic surf board ( great coffee table 2 :) .

It will B Symmetry In Motion !

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Thursday, 21 Mar 2024 at 7:45pm
tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Thursday, 21 Mar 2024 at 7:56pm

A couple of points of interest for you Seeds. It is essentially 2 halves of different boards stuck together. One side is a full outline 6'2" round tail quad, the other side a 6'4" twin semi fish. You'll see on the planshape pic above I've got a channel marked that runs out through the tip of the swallow. Same as what I run on my twin fishes.

They do give you a reduction of the volume in the tail area, and also gives a bit more grip particularly with an upright twin which I prefer. Upright on the assym will marry better with the quad setup on the other side.
Contour wise the rest of the board is a very slight single concave to deeper double with vee in the tail. Quad side will get too busy with any channels, stick with the tried and true contours.
In regards to the EPS feel on wider boards. This type of construction dampens that corky hard to penetrate feel of some "epoxy" builds, much more of a PU feel. The foil, outline curve, and rocker of course play an integral role in making sure the board engages as you lay it over. Notice that the twin side has outline curve, not the much straighter back end of a full blown fish. Most fish are up at 17"+ wide at 12" from tail, this is more like 16" and not crazy wide at the pod.
Overall I'm super happy with the planshape, it fell out of my templates and looked really good to my eye straight away. I'm feeling it!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 8:47am

Okay I see the channel marked on the plan shape now. Okay full asym in contours in the tail too. It’s gunna be interesting!

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 8:53am

Full asym contours tail technology , cool !

Sounds and looks like a Stealth Bomber , nearly :) !

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 9:17am

Tiger are you using a tail pad on your midlengths?

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 11:09am

I don't. It's personal preference really, I know there's some unwritten law that twin fins shouldn't have one, but that's kinda ridiculous.
What's your feeling on rails? I've got the XPS which is the blue foam, or PU which is an off white? The PU can be sprayed any colour as we did on your mid.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:13pm

Don’t mind the yellow look with the black border pin stripe. Or maybe some kind of Roman royal purple or a maroon with the black border. What do others on the forum think?
IMG-5556
IMG-5555

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:20pm

I suppose that means gloss finish though with those sorts of vibrant colours

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:55pm

agree, that yellow with black pinstripe really brings out the wood, doesn't fight it.
I'd personally stick with warm retro yellow or orange, leave the blue hues to the sea.
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/1970s-surf--270286415109637434/
https://www.betterbeer.com.au/collections/merch
What do you reckon @Guy? you're a man of colours.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 1:48pm

Depends on your footy team I reckon Seeds. I also think it would be a shame to put a tail pad over Tigers beautiful work. I don't have one on any of my longer boards, not needed, if that helps.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 1:51pm

Don’t you dare put a pad on that seeds!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 2:28pm

Haha I wasn’t really going to put a pad on her. I couldn’t do it. It’s just that I haven’t waxed her yet.
Basesix maybe go the rainbow
https://pin.it/5zmGA1NaE
Blackers go the Lions
https://www.spectatorsportsonline.com.au/products/brisbane-lions-mens-fo...

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 22 Mar 2024 at 2:50pm

Yellow and black all the way for me.