Interesting things too

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 21 Nov 2019 at 2:21pm

For when one interesting things thread isn't enough.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 1 Dec 2023 at 7:46pm

"Texas Sues Pfizer For "Misrepresenting COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy" And "Conspiring To Censor Public Discourse"

....Much of Paxton's 54-page-complaint focuses on Pfizer's December 20, 2020 claim that its vaccine was "95% effective."

However, according to the complaint, "more Americans died in 2021, with Pfizer’s vaccine available, than in 2020, the first year of the pandemic." He also cites government reports concluding that in some places, deaths among vaccinated people outpaced those among the unvaccinated, even on a percentage basis. 

Pfizer's claim of 95% efficacy rested on deceptive framing of clinical trial observations, says the complaint..."

https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/texas-sues-pfizer-misrepresenting-covi...

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Friday, 1 Dec 2023 at 8:14pm
sypkan wrote:

"Texas Sues Pfizer For "Misrepresenting COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy" And "Conspiring To Censor Public Discourse"

....Much of Paxton's 54-page-complaint focuses on Pfizer's December 20, 2020 claim that its vaccine was "95% effective."

However, according to the complaint, "more Americans died in 2021, with Pfizer’s vaccine available, than in 2020, the first year of the pandemic." He also cites government reports concluding that in some places, deaths among vaccinated people outpaced those among the unvaccinated, even on a percentage basis. 

Pfizer's claim of 95% efficacy rested on deceptive framing of clinical trial observations, says the complaint..."

Wow!!

Reform's picture
Reform's picture
Reform Saturday, 2 Dec 2023 at 6:35am
southernraw wrote:
sypkan wrote:

Wow!!

They wouldn't just make this stuff to take advantage and for the money only though? Would they?
https://mywage.org/australia/salary/celebrity-pay/albert-bourla

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 2 Dec 2023 at 2:19pm
Reform wrote:
southernraw wrote:
sypkan wrote:

"Texas Sues Pfizer For "Misrepresenting COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy" And "Conspiring To Censor Public

Wow!!

They wouldn't just make this stuff to take advantage and for the money only though? Would they?
https://mywage.org/australia/salary/celebrity-pay/albert-bourla

He’s done alright for a vet .

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 10 Dec 2023 at 9:14am

When a weasel is late for a meeting in the forest:

https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/nature/article/weasel-rides-woodpecker

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Sunday, 10 Dec 2023 at 9:20am

The weasel will get to the meeting on time and then eat the transport .

A really , weasely , thing to do , imo .
A shitty , thank u , for Woody .

I don't seem to like Weasel's .

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Sunday, 10 Dec 2023 at 10:20am

Have had Weasel piss all over me , a number of times !

Melbourne's Botanical Gardens ( rated in the Top 10 in the World ) do a Summer Outdoor Play Season ( and Films ) .

Come and have a look .

We would take our daughters to see Wind In The Willows .

Weasels took over and pissed everywhere ( sprayed the crowd ) , disgusted me , but the kids loved it .

The weasels got their comeuppance , of course .

I LOVE Badgers !

My favourite line goes something like this " Nothing is more fun , than mucking around in a boat " .

The Gardens have a huge Lake with the Play moving to different parts .

So , if U are one of those strange , adult people , who like getting pissed on , come to Melbourne :)

We have something , for everyone , any time .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 12 Dec 2023 at 2:08pm

?si=uaMgGmydGv5SODGa

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 2:23pm

Hey Pop, Ahoy has a Dutch origin. Interesting how hello came into use also. I learnt something today.
Ahoy
Ahoy, a signal word originally used to call a ship, was once a standard way to greet others and was Alexander Graham Bell’s suggested greeting for answering the telephone.
The origins of ‘Ahoy’

Ahoy is a signal word used to call to a ship or boat. The word stems from the Middle English cry “Hoy!”, a greeting derived from the Dutch “Hoi”.

Seafarers used the word ‘ahoy’ in song well before the word’s first recorded use in print. The term was first referenced as a new nautical term in the 1751 novel The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle by Tobias Smollett. In its early usage, ‘ahoy’ was used as both an exclamation and a way to get someone’s attention. By 1813, ‘ahoy’ was a widely used word in the English language, and the first half of the 19th Century brought the term (or a close variant) to neighboring languages. ‘Ahoy’ soon became a popular greeting outside of nautical situations.

While ‘ahoy’ fell out of the popular English lexicon for a time, the word later rose from obscurity as the sport of sailing grew in popularity. ‘Ahoy’ can still be heard used as a greeting, a warning, or to say farewell.
A brief history of ‘Hello’

While ‘hello’ is the standard English language greeting today, the word has only been around since 1827. In its early days, ‘hello’ was used to attract attention or express surprise, as in, “Well, hello, what have we here?”

‘Hello’ didn’t become the standard greeting as we know it today until the arrival of the telephone. Thomas Edison urged people to say ‘hello’ when answering his phone.

“Ahoy-hoy,” the original telephone greeting

Alexander Graham Bell, the Scottish-born innovator credited with patenting the first commercial telephone, originally suggested ‘Ahoy-hoy’ as the standard greeting when answering the telephone. ‘Ahoy’ had been around at least 100 years longer than ‘hello’, and its nautical origins along with common usage as a greeting made it a strong candidate.

The de facto telephone greeting we know and use today was solidified after the first telephone books sanctioned ‘hello’ as the official greeting in their authoritative How To... sections. ‘Hello’ quickly eclipsed ‘ahoy’, but Bell insisted upon answering the phone with ‘ahoy’ for the rest of his life.

In pop culture, The Simpsons’ Mr. Burns also answers the telephone as Mr. Bell intended:

?si=bKKY1fgomn8heSqM

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 2:28pm

that was a good read @seeds, aren't sundays the best?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 2:36pm

Thanks seeds

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 2:51pm

Funny isn’t it. Might start answering the phone ahoy hoy to see peoples reactions

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 3:17pm

Dad used to answer the phone 'The Savoy Grill..' to my mates, after the Blackadder joke. A few of them hung up, too!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 3:31pm

My old man used to answer the phone
“Susie’s Rub House. Susie speaking’
Haha I’ve used it in the past

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 5:26pm

Seeds - mums Dutch and never yelled Hoi at me , a few other things .

The Dutch could really sail ( anywhere that had something they could sell ) and did spread the word and other things all around the world .

Made a ( huge ) business out of it .

Alfred would know it's name :)

Opened many new trade routes ( after kicking the Poms Navy ( arses ) off the Oceans . The Poms started the fight , apparently ) .

When I was young and Belly had just invented the phone , I would ring up strangers ( telephone directories where also invented ) .
Would ask stupid questions like " Are there any Walls in the house " etc

If not busy , when ringing friends now , that I haven't spoken to in a while , I use a very deep voice ( doesn't fool them ) .

Happy Sunny Sunday !

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 7:59pm

“ If not busy , when ringing friends now , that I haven't spoken to in a while , I use a very deep voice ( doesn't fool them ) .”

Haha you’re a crack up Pop.
I like how you do it only if not busy… can’t be doing gags like that when you’re busy.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 11:12pm

I like to answer the phone "Ralph's Trampoline Shop.. you jump, we say how high?!"
But only here at work.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 11:18pm

Haha I like it. I don’t believe you do it at work Waxxy

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 11:19pm

check out seeds' post on the tunes thread, I think you might like it @wax24 : )

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 11:46pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

Dad used to answer the phone 'The Savoy Grill..' to my mates, after the Blackadder joke. A few of them hung up, too!

I gots to know VJ. Can’t find this joke on Google

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 1:22am

If i get a call from a unit with a new nurse on it..... yes, i do, lol. Mild hazing.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 1:36am

Haha you’re breaking all sorts of codes of conduct, and I love it.
I rang my manager the other day and said in a loud voice Hello then pause. She got no idea who I am. Few secs later I say How’s it hanging. Laughter greets me. Thankfully. I knew. She’s as burnt out as me. Laughing I tell her who it is. Apologies ensue saying I’ve probably broken all sorts of codes. Mutual appreciation we are managed by shitcoonts

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 1:39am

@Base I liked all those tunes he just posted! I have been squirming down a Van Morrison rabbit hole for about 10 days now, with no end in sight. Just so much material!

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 1:44am

@Seeds... yeah, any call to ME is not gonna be a med emergency. Or, even a psych one. But, i'll get calls from frantic nurses who are having some "administrative emergency" (meaning, they are frantic cuz they think they screwed something up so bad it can't be fixed, lol.) I find that humor relaxes em.
It is hilarious, to me, that, for a brief moment, they think they called a trampoline shop.... in the middle of the night.
I haven't been called to the carpet for it... yet.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 23 Dec 2023 at 12:16pm

Coolum road rage. Instant regret. Ute driver hey mate WTF she throws shit at you better than you drive
https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/crime/dashcam-captures-ute-r...

tip-top1's picture
tip-top1's picture
tip-top1 Saturday, 23 Dec 2023 at 12:33pm

geez that right leg looked fooked after that

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 23 Dec 2023 at 12:39pm

Yep. Stay in your car and drive on. Chill

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 16 Jan 2024 at 8:45pm

?si=KGR0Dz1CmVzxZiIF

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 19 Jan 2024 at 10:28pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 20 Jan 2024 at 5:47pm

?si=n-e0VZU5gSZewlvw

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Jan 2024 at 3:20pm

Trying to do some Swellnet branding and found out our logo font is Durex Mark Bold. So named cos it's the same font used to advertise Durex dingers.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 24 Jan 2024 at 3:29pm

Stu, Speaking of cocks, this is pretty interesting too over on Beachgrit.
In the comment section of the Eddie Aikau story.
And I quote

“ ‘Ain’t nobody knows surf history like Matt Warshaw.’

Huh? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Surely you’re joking! What about head swillnut stupe’ nuttle!

You could even mistake the two of ‘em for twins! Historical fratboyz!

https://www.swellnet.com/ne...

‘Rather than simply lift his quotes, I also reached out to surfing’s unofficial historian, the guy who actually wrote the book’

‘So with what instruments, I ask, do they navigate the minefield of untruths, ego, and lack of documentation?

“Primary source material is the gold standard,” answers Warshaw. “Decades-old memories, not so much.”

Before departing, I asked him one last question about how the current situation might resolve itself. “You're just looking for receipts, literally: evidence, photos, to make the case one way or the other,” explained Warshaw. “Barring that, it's up to us, the people writing about it, to allow for a possible alternative version, while also making the story compelling and not wishy-washy.”’

Really? Interesting. Ok. Twinning… twin on! Speaking of going, go stupe’!

https://www.swellnet.com/co...

‘They're very fast but are harder to control when the waves get bigger and suckier. Speaking of, they just plain suck in the barrel.’

‘Now, where was I? Twin fins are shit in the barrel.

Hope I extricated myself out of that awfully delicate situation. Could've been terrible...maaaayyyte!’

‘And if you did manage to work out the twins’ complex and hypersensitive control functions, you could whip that thing up and down a defenseless small wave like a frat boy snapping freshman asses with a bathroom towel. Style didn’t much come into it. The point was to do damage. “Rip, tear and lacerate,” as the great MR himself put it.’

‘I told myself, with blinkered teenaged optimism, would be the one. And yes, a couple of those boards were close.

But no. Not really. Not if the surf got over five-foot. Not if it got hollow."

-Matt Warshaw’

Style didn’t much come into it? Ok, now that the terrible two law makers have comprehensively laid down the law on how to cement history. Forget their fratboy, frazzled memories and bring on the evidence!

Mikey February Twin Pin Indo Sessions - V.1 — disq.us

Play — disq.us

https://youtube.com/shorts/...

Not enough style for the fratboy historical twins! And no, they did not get barrelled! It’s in the history books! Ban them! Nobody’s buying them!

‘They can’t get barrelled! Stop them… ban them, they’re just gronks’, screech the fratboy historical twins!

‘Glorious lots of long, long tubes’

‘I think its the best, or my favourite tube riding board I’ve ridden in my life’ Mark Healey.

Fiji Part 4: Surfing Barreling Lefts On My Twin Fin! — disq.us

What would he know! Or him!

WE FOUND THE PERFECT WAVE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! — disq.us

Stop it!

HOW FAR CAN YOU PUSH A TWIN FIN l WILLIAM ALIOTTI — disq.us

‘Not farafuckingnuff! Get them off the fucking planet! Ban them!’ Squwark the fratboy history maker uppers!

Ryan Burch e sua personal Twin Fin 5'3" no Chile — disq.us

FFS stop! Ban them!

Anyway… decades old memories you say. Potz? Remember when Terry Richardson won that barrel riding comp at Ulu’s? Or that MR guy was world champion? Dane? And the stuff the ‘historians’ wouldn’t have a clue about. That twinny rider in the desert?

Rasta? Joel Fitz? Banks? Bourton? Cole? Merrick? Kerr? Pacey…

THE SAINT | T&C SURF DESIGNS 50TH ANNIVERSARY — disq.us

Carry on making up histree! Ban them! Don’t give them a voice… just like the nungas, just write ‘em out of histree! Go fratboyz!

Ban the ban!

Suzi Quatro - Can The Can — disq.us”

Who may that be???

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Jan 2024 at 3:31pm

Dear me, old Uppy doesn't sound very well.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 24 Jan 2024 at 5:08pm
stunet wrote:

The man can hold a grudge.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 9:16am
blackers wrote:
stunet wrote:

The man can hold a grudge.

Ha ha...all part of his self-improvement strategy. Letting go is a sign of weakness, and a man mustn't be weak.

Eh Lifty?

Now cut and paste that you dupe.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 9:48am

I got a G & S twin fin fish in the 70's and it felt so fast and free after the single fins, on flat right handers I thought I was the man, but like most others I found it to be a dog on the backhand and my forehand cutties had more stages than the opera house. It didn't hold in in tubes and sat too flat on the water. Then thrusters came in and solved all those problems, speed, drive, carve, too easy. In later years the design was refined and tweaked and if you were a pro level surfer you could make it work, some of these heroes could rip on an ironing board. To me they can still sometimes look a little awkward on cutbacks and need a bit of nursing.
They certainly have their place in the alternative scene and certain conditions, and call me old fashioned, but I personally still prefer the look of pro surfing on state of the art thrusters and quads. So to me some of those historical comments were not only hilarious but held some truth to many people. Cheers.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 9:50am
udo wrote:

https://youtu.be/aPhLTIPcGhY?si=n-e0VZU5gSZewlvw

Luv it

One of my fave u tube channels.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 3:46pm

Right on Lifty.

On cue. Cut and pasted today's message.

Now jump boy, jump. Turn around. Beg.

Attaboy.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 5:42pm

Ha! Didn't realise @old-dog was Lifty.
Good doggie...

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 6:33pm

@ adam12, its goofyfoot you clueless silly old bugger. Now you are really embarrassing yourself. Read up above a bit further.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 7:05pm

I have learned a valuable lesson lately, you can't reason with these old Viccos, they take themselves very seriously, have no sense of humor, an over inflated sense of self-worth and entitlement and get very nasty, spit the dummy and hold a grudge if someone dares to have a different opinion to them. I don't care who your dad was, I'm over it, Cheers.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 7:16pm

Yeah old-dog, thank firk for our SA croweater cousins who use to provide us with a barrier of sorts hahahaha

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 7:21pm

Flyin the flag still @seaslug ;-)

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 7:41pm
stunet wrote:

Hey Stu. Not my circus not my monkeys so will stay out of the back and forth.
But in the interest of a fair and balanced conversation.
I spoke to him today, I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this.
But he's been surfing 10foot plus heavy heaving slabs in paradise. Waves heavier than i'd ever contemplate surfing.
I think his minds in a good place. And it was great to hear from him.
Nothing to do with the above but just thought i'd give you guys the heads up.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 7:57pm

On a twin?

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 7:59pm

Aw, c'mon Herc
https://twitter.com/SChundercock/status/1750442566246654102
Didn't mean to get you all pissy at me.
Always enjoyed the Herc.
Good to hear you are still out rulin' Blax.
Sorry

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 8:11pm
zenagain wrote:

On a twin?

haha. I bloody well hope so Zen!!
He's a good bloke MB.
All the banned SA folk are.
Just don't tolerate bullshit.
That's as straight and as honest as it is. That's how it is in SA.
That's the problem. There's laws that can be skirted and danced around on the internet, that allow the bullshitter leniency and sadly, see the non bullshitter dismissed. (could be an east coast centric/East of Cape Otway mentality....city/suburban way of seeing the world)
But the good thing is, the non bullshitter is better off without the bullshit.
I know i'm not far off joining the ways of the non bullshitter....
one venomous strike away.....
Thought i was gone yesterday actually...but here i am. haha.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 25 Jan 2024 at 8:48pm
southernraw wrote:
stunet wrote:

Hey Stu. Not my circus not my monkeys so will stay out of the back and forth.
But in the interest of a fair and balanced conversation.
I spoke to him today, I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this.
But he's been surfing 10foot plus heavy heaving slabs in paradise. Waves heavier than i'd ever contemplate surfing.
I think his minds in a good place. And it was great to hear from him.
Nothing to do with the above but just thought i'd give you guys the heads up.

for real SR? Well done MB, sounds like some epic waves.