Shark Stories

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer started the topic in Monday, 29 Oct 2012 at 12:11am

A few interesting stories on shark attacks and near misses on the Shark Shield report so I thought I would start this thread. Don't want to trivialize the subject as people have had their lives taken or changed forever by what can happen. I thought it might serve as an educational purpose by hearing others experiences so we may all learn from them and hopefully avoid it happening to us.

One of them was a mate of mine named Hazey.
He had been surfing at Castles, a notoriously sharky wave in the bay at Cactus.
Several hundred metres offshore the wave breaks before reforming into Inside Castles making a long left with several sections. The wave has been the scene of several attacks and near misses over the years including the local known as "Sharkbait" who had been attacked more than once.
Gerry Lopez is another who came very close to being attacked out there and vowed to never surf Cactus again after his near miss.
Well Hazey was surfing out the back with another bloke named Steve when out of the blue he was launched into the air still on his board by a huge force from below.
A shark had rammed him with a direct hit straight up into the air! In a moment it was gone but soon returned to the stunned Hazey and started biting him and his board. Hazey instinctively put his arms out to protect himself but both his arms ended up in its mouth. As the jaws closed down his arms could have easily been severed, but several teeth on the sharks lower jaw had become dislodged and imbedded in the board leaving his upper arms with massive injuries, but the vital inner arms where major arteries run were not majorly damaged. This probably saved his life.
By this time Steve had reacted and in a rush of adrenalin and pure ballsy courage he threw himself onto the sharks back and started gouging at the sharks eyeballs, eventually feeling one pop and the shark departed.
Steve got the two surfboards together and got himself and Hazey on and started the long paddle to shore.
Then they were both thrown into the air as the shark rammed them a third time before disappearing again. They continued to make their way closer to shore and the shark nudged them again. Steve told me he thought he really must of pissed it off when he popped its eye.
Finally they we're just a metre from shore when the shark made its fifth and final appearance. It beelined towards them and the shore while they stood in waist deep water with their boards. The sharks mouth was just rapidly opening and closing like one of those wind up sets of false teeth. The boys separated and put their hands on either side of it's body and held it on a 90 degree angle to the beach as they made the final steps to the safety of the sand.
Hazey was rushed to Ceduna hospital and then flown to Adelaide for micro surgery on his shredded arms.
Steve ended up receiving a bravery award and they both sold their story to 60 minutes and made $50,000 each out of it!
It was quite a story!

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 6:27pm

ahh shit....just saw the pic. Defiinitely not a pointer!! Maybe a pointy nosed wobbegong haha

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 6:59pm

Jeez....that's not a wobbegong udo! Lucky bugger.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 7:05pm

That's a shark attack, as you say very lucky

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 4:49pm

Not good again :(

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 5:03pm

Yeah, bit of downplaying of it, but I wouldn't want to be guy. All the best mate

The Gull's picture
The Gull's picture
The Gull Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 6:56pm
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 9:17am

He has no idea what he is talking about if he thinks we have just had 4 years of El Niño.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 9:25am

AFox was on the radio, saying dawn and dusk are danger times. Totally intuitive, but didn't @udo say a few weeks back, there have been zero fatalities at these times, to support this old idea?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 9:33am

Yeah, that dawn and dusk theory has been totally discredited and debunked by a mountain of evidence.

Anyone still repeating that has zero clue and should be ignored.

Vast majority of white shark attacks are between 9am and 2pm.

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 10:24am

Freeride76.

"He has no idea what he is talking about if he thinks we have just had 4 years of El Niño."

Don't just read the text, listen to what he said on the video. He gets his words a bit jumbled but he said four years of La Nina followed by El Nino.

After taking some time over the last few months looking at Sky News and what it has to offer, I can only say there is a fair amount of daylight between what they say and the truth.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 11:05am

Fair enough if he was misquoted.

He's still way off the mark repeating the same discredited cliche about dawn and dusk though.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 12:02pm

Yeah FR. Local Sydney radio station had a marine biologist talking about sharks last week. She also mentioned the false assumptions of not swimming at dawn and dusk. No idea

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 4:18pm

jeez andrew has got all the answers ......funny how no one ever asks about the cage diving and if it could contribute to the spate of attacks .......crickets

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 5:00pm

Shark Cage diving , is obviously introducing humans to Big Whites in SA .

It seems the attacks there are by Big sharks .

On a recent trip to Byron , a long term local , said there was a Cold current a km or so off Julian Rocks .
He said that is where the Big Whites hang .

I definitely don’t think the locals would agree to having those sharks introduced to Humans .

The small ones are already a terrible problem !

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 6:34pm

Way back in the 70s Jacques Cousteau wrote in his groundbreaking book, The Shark that on their first encounter, as divers, with the much feared Great White in mid ocean somewhere, the shark on spotting them, evacuated it bowels, turned tail and shot off into the deep blue.

A WTF fear moment for the predator that was, back in those days, totally unfamiliar with wierd looking humans.

Now in SA upon seeing a human, it might be, at best, no fear and "where's me f#ckn big tasty tuna head MF?" or at worst ....

For the record, they found that shark species varied a lot in behaviour. In their extensive diving exploration, they had most trouble with the oceanic white tip - curious, no fear, persistent and probably some with fond memories of all those WWII shipwrecks. They would be in mid ocean, go diving and out of the depths some usually would appear, circling in closer and closer to have a go. The divers would buddy up, back to back pushing the sharks away with cameras and their wooden shark stick and hoping the tender spotted their signals and would get out of the water as quick as possible.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 2:12pm

I wrote on the other link that Filming How Whites Bonk is a Strange Holy Grail .

A bit like perving haha .

Like other sharks , I am guessing .

Where they breed and when is interesting .

We already know how many in a litter ( is that the right word ) .

The Gull's picture
The Gull's picture
The Gull Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 8:21pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-09/man-injured-in-shark-attack-off-s...

Another one.
The cluster thing is so strange.
WA
Northern NSW
And now SA

Why do the attacks happen in patterns

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 8:32pm
The Gull wrote:

Another one.
WA
Northern NSW
And now SA

North Queensland had a cluster too but different species of shark.
I think California has had white shark attack clusters too.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 9:37pm

Time Fisheries and Wild Life went down there and did a proper investigation imho .

Get some bloody boats in the area and some drones in the fn sky .

Have a bloody look around for 2 months .

Tag some GW's .

If there is only ONE shark hanging around , don't tag it .

Kill it .

Report in after the end of Feb .

Do it again next year , perhaps .

And Stop Cage diving for GW 's .

If people want to dive , wonderful .

Only abalone divers can use a cage .

edit

ffs It would cost about $20m perhaps ( I bet if we gave some locals $10m they would do the job ( so much better to , am guessing )) .

No point in debating if a shark ( or any animal) turns rogue imho .

Only humans are allowed this luxury !!!

There is a Shark ( the bite will confirm the species ) that has bitten at least one human .

It needs to be found ( within reasonable doubt ) and killed , asap .

edit

I mentioned a group Iron Domes on our East Coast last week and heard crickets .

I again , suggest one , for this spot , just for 2 months .

Expecting crickets , again .

edit

Of course we can't tell the government or the woke ones , that WE plan to kill the shark .

We say we will study it .

Otherwise , it will NEVER get the funding .

edit

If I have to do a sensible thing , that is viewed by authority as dodgy ( not illegal !!!) , I just do it , and tell Authority later ( when they find out ) and say sorry , I might have made another mistake .

It always has worked for me , so far .

edit Important .

We REALLY can't think about killing any sharks , yet .

We DO need to do everything else I suggest BUT kill the Shark .

IF the area is studied and there IS a Shark hanging around , he will hang himself .

If reported , the Public Opinion on this ONE shark WILL turn , eventually ( may take two summers ) .

Lets make the shark Public Enemy No 1 .

Let the Mob Kill it .

edit

Give it a name .

Deep Death , perhaps .

last edit

I saw the headline and thought the worst and couldn't read it .

Looked at the picture later to have a look at the bite ( size ) and saw the boy was ok . OMG , what a relief .

If the worst had happened , my only comment would have been an expression of grief for the boys family .

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 8:55pm
lostdoggy wrote:
The Gull wrote:

Another one.
WA
Northern NSW
And now SA

North Queensland had a cluster too but different species of shark.
I think California has had white shark attack clusters too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Shore_shark_attacks_of_1916

This series of events inspired 'Jaws' iirc

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 8:54pm

Yeh VJ, I’m sure there’s probably a lot more.
Just a couple I could think of.
WA had a few seperate clusters?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 8:58pm

LD the WA attacks were spaced over a number of years

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/timeline-of-shark-...

There was also an ab diver out of Esperance (?) in the 1990s, which presaged this

Edit: correct link added

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 9:05pm

Reading the list in the link, that's a lot of people who aren't here any more, it is very sad and must still be felt by their families. RIP.

Some of those spots, like the bombing range, Gearies, South Point, Lefties, even the swimming at North Cott near the Blue Duck, or Port beach where nearby waves break in winter - they are really close to home and some are rites of passage for West Aussie surfers. Twenty people, I'm shocked.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 7:49pm

hello Udo

I opened the link with real trepidation .

When I saw a huge GW chomping on a Tuna , I immediately relaxed .

I won't open any link on the War page without some idea or warning of what I will see .

I was scared to do it on this thread .

I trusted your judgement and agree - Stop Cage Diving with GW's .

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 8:01pm

STOP. FN. CAGE. DIVING. NOW.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 8:08pm
wax24 wrote:

Yep. Agreed. Not sure if you saw the link Udo posted yesterday on the research around White pointer's social behaviours.
Turns out in the studies, the most time Pointers congregated in the same spot together at the same time (68% of all observed interactions) was due to cage diving. Which means Pointers spend most of their time alone, but when the cage diving dinner bell rings (humans/means/food) they will rush to that point together, regardless of other sharks.
Which means that humans are having a direct influence on White Pointer behaviour in that region. That needs to be called out.
The cage dive industry should have the onus put on them to prove that cage diving isn't contributing to more human/shark harmful interactions.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 8:55pm

Perhaps , if they move to NON surfing ie People Areas , they can operate .

Set their Own Area's and attract the Sharks Away from people .

Set up Pontoons 20 miles offshore , like the Barrier Reef .

Ring the Bell ( lol ) for dinner time at Mid Day .
Give them heaps of tuna and shitty shark shit . Fill them Up . Some foam bombs , maybe , to chomp on ( fill them up ) .

Train some nice ones , perhaps , to be friendly to humans ( think Bruce ) .

They can't swim back and hurt anyone ( as we will watch them ) .

It's not sensible attracting sharks to humans where humans live .

Otherwise , WE don't need this "Sport ???", as it's a problem .

Kill it .

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 8:45pm
southernraw wrote:
wax24 wrote:

Yep. Agreed. Not sure if you saw the link Udo posted yesterday on the research around White pointer's social behaviours.
Turns out in the studies, the most time Pointers congregated in the same spot together at the same time (68% of all observed interactions) was due to cage diving. Which means Pointers spend most of their time alone, but when the cage diving dinner bell rings (humans/means/food) they will rush to that point together, regardless of other sharks.
Which means that humans are having a direct influence on White Pointer behaviour in that region. That needs to be called out.
The cage dive industry should have the onus put on them to prove that cage diving isn't contributing to more human/shark harmful interactions.

Well said gents. I particularly liked “but when the cage diving dinner bell rings” which made me laugh but I reckon it’s so true. Whilst it would be incredible to see a monster GW up close in relative safety that entire practice is wrong IMO.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 11 Jan 2024 at 9:06pm
Rabbits68 wrote:
southernraw wrote:
wax24 wrote:

Well said gents. I particularly liked “but when the cage diving dinner bell rings” which made me laugh but I reckon it’s so true. Whilst it would be incredible to see a monster GW up close in relative safety that entire practice is wrong IMO.

haha. Cheers Rabs. Hope alls well mate.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 10:18am
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 5:26pm
udo wrote:

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/barwon-heads-shark/video/b40fe...

Mako destined to become 'flake'.
They're not a bad chew and probably the only larger species I'd eat.
Still very popular with recreational fishos for 'sport' or for the table.
In Vic the rules also state you can only use up to 10L of berley and it can't be mammal blood.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 6:36pm

Read a story about navy SEAL selection swim in the open ocean where the instructor boat stuck with one swimmer for 2 km till he reached the beach rather than zooming off to check on others.

Only later that day, only cause he asked, told him they were keeping the boat between him and a large GW that followed him for most of the swim.

Duty of care .... sort of.

kirwoods's picture
kirwoods's picture
kirwoods Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 8:22pm

Looks a great white every day of the week to me!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 8:38pm

I thought small white too kirwood

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 8:54pm

I think mako.

If you pause the footage the dorsal fin is more upright like a mako than a white and the face also.
But mako’s and juvie whites do look similar.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 9:02pm

You'd have to pretty brave to load a freshly killed White on a trailer in public anywhere in Oz if you weren't with the DPI.
It's a Mako,
https://www.wyndhamtv.com.au/wyndham-anglers-epic-battle-massive-mako-sh...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 9:17pm

Ah yep you can see the pointy nose in those pics.
They do look pretty similar though to the untrained eye.
What a catch

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 8:29am

Where are the Shark huggers?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 10:09am

It's a very Australian scene.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 11:45am

not sure if any one has been killed or attacked by a mako in aus ?......mainly an offshore shark

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 11:57am

They'll show up at the close reefs here but no attacks I have heard of.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 6:42pm

Much harder on a board but the push the nose away technique might work sometimes if one is circling or curious on the surface ....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GFHw74cOtPM?feature=share

An option to have in the memory bank.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 7:08pm

yeah frog if you see a tiger come at you like that in cruise mode try it ,what have you got to lose....arms,legs etc but islanders say never take your eyes of them.........dont like being looked at.......but not gunna work on a bull or white,probably wont see em coming anyway.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 11:58pm

Woman bitten in Sydney harbour attack after evening swim. Presumably a Bull shark.