Fishing tips

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Monday, 2 Apr 2012 at 9:32am

OK, so I want to try my hand at fishing. I have a couple of rods and reels, and an assortment of stuff in a shiny tackle box (Chrissy present from a few years back). I've got salt water and fresh water options close at hand (Narrabeen). But, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Can anyone offer me some pointers? I'd really like to impress the missus.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 10:13am

Managed to get out pretty quickly with no photos and no scene Andy.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 3:45pm

awesome Freeride.
curious - a fish that size, good eating? I'm guessing obviously so, or you wouldnt keep it.
and the processing/consuming - you use the whole fish? you know, use the frame for soups/stock etc. different types of fillets? best parts?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 4:02pm

I haven't processed/filleted yet but it looks. very healthy so I'm assuming A-grade food.

I'll use as much as I can.

Heaps of meat on head and wings- I'll cook those separately- probably make a big fish head soup- and a stock.

Just the carcass left which will be fed to chooks/butcher birds/kookaburras who all love a bit of fish.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 5:06pm

Jeebus. Gonna be hard to top that one.
Fish of a lifetime.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 5:21pm

I enjoy a great Man v Beast , Old Man of the Sea type story , where every man , woman and child and every animal in the village , celebrate a feast .

Especially the animal that was going to be dinner !!!

An Oldie , but a Goldie !

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 5:21pm

That is an absolute beast @FR. Epic effort!

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 5:34pm

excellent. I'm envious, now that I'm eating heaps more fish following the alpha-gal thing.
I am hoping to get back into a bit of fishing and hopefully a bit of catching to reduce the fish bill, it's not cheap hey. But I reckon I'd be a long way off catching anything like that for a while. I enjoy hearing of your successes. Good luck.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 5:46pm

Cheers gents.
142cm. 29.4kg.

I'm going to try and eat the swim bladder, apparently a delicacy.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 6:06pm

Far canal, that's impressive!

Peter Reynolds's picture
Peter Reynolds's picture
Peter Reynolds Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 8:16pm
freeride76 wrote:

If you told me I would get my PB jew off the stones in the 1st week of December on a mid neap tide, I would have laughed at you.
Phwarrr what a horse! Bravo!

Andrew P's picture
Andrew P's picture
Andrew P Tuesday, 5 Dec 2023 at 11:21pm

Unreel FR a well deserved fish no doubt!
Jewies, like cobia generally get better eating as they get bigger

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 6 Dec 2023 at 6:54am

142cm. 29.4kg. Insane!

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Wednesday, 6 Dec 2023 at 7:47am

The only luck involved in that was the fish taking the bait. To get that beast in off the bricks solo is pure skill. Unreal fish!!!

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Friday, 8 Dec 2023 at 5:20pm

Awesome Fish Steve
Still remember about 5 years ago we were surfing Boulders You said the water smelt like Jewies You ou hoped out Went to your car got out the rod
And went home half hour later with a Jewie

What time of Day was this one

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 8 Dec 2023 at 9:10pm

Between 5.30 and 5.50.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 8 Dec 2023 at 11:02pm

FR - may I ask how long the fight took ?

The fish looks stronger than me , so guessing the rest of the day and some of the night , probably .

I bet it was very tasty , to !!!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 9 Dec 2023 at 6:59am

About 20 minutes.

The filleting/processing/vac bagging/clean-up took 2 hrs.

tip-top1's picture
tip-top1's picture
tip-top1 Saturday, 9 Dec 2023 at 7:10am

amazing fish freeride ,

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 9 Dec 2023 at 8:31am

Freeride

So that is what fishing is really like , when catching monsters .

20 minutes of War and 2 hours cleaning up the mess :)

Like a real war .

Was thinking it might be a minute per kilo fighting time .

Then thought , an extra 5kg of fish , probably is an exponential thing .

NFI really .

Then 60 minutes eating .

Fantastic , a Real Adventure , thanks for sharing !

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Saturday, 9 Dec 2023 at 8:30am

That's a cracker Stevo. Loved the fight description with its twists and turns. It usually doesn't take much to lose a big fish. Sometimes everything can seem like it's going wrong yet, the fish ends up on the stones. Sure makes for a memorable catch.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 5:36am

Smoking surface bite on chunky greenback tailor yesterday.

Fish a cast. They were chockers with frogmouth pilchards (Aus anchovy).

Gave a couple to my mate and kept a few for fresh fillets.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 8:42am
freeride76 wrote:

Smoking surface bite on chunky greenback tailor yesterday.

Fish a cast. They were chockers with frogmouth pilchards (Aus anchovy).

Gave a couple to my mate and kept a few for fresh fillets.

Freeride76. That’s a very impressive looking fish, looks very healthy. Kudos to your skill in looking after the fish and landing it. Bet you can’t wait to eat some of it. AW.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 2:23pm

Did you take out the pearls Free?

Apparently they're like tree rings and you can estimate the age from them.

Any luck with the lures?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 3:01pm

Lots of luck with them Zen, cheers mate.

I'll donate the head to DPI and they will remove pearls and calculate age.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 5:17pm

Awesome. Glad to hear.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 5:45pm

Sick fish well done, never caught one but ive only ever targeted them for a period when I lived at Fraser Island and a few were getting caught.

And then when i did i was fishing on dusk 15 metres away from some holiday tourist that were fishing when the next minute they wind one in, it wasn't that big but still a proper Jewie and not a Soapy and they were freaking out having never caught a fish that big and they didn't even know what a Jew fish/Mulloway was.

Andrew P's picture
Andrew P's picture
Andrew P Friday, 15 Dec 2023 at 8:20am
freeride76 wrote:

Lots of luck with them Zen, cheers mate.

I'll donate the head to DPI and they will remove pearls and calculate age.

I’ve donated a couple to the RAP FR including a 15kg 115cm fish caught on a plastic. The thing that got me was the variation of ages for a given length. My fish was only 8 years old but for fish of that length the range was 6 to 16. If I were to have a stab I reckon your fish will be mid teens.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 15 Dec 2023 at 8:40am

Yeah, I'm really interested in growth rate post 3 La Niña years Andrew.

This fish was fat, very well conditioned, hardly any parasites.

RAP angler newsletter made a point of the differing growth rates with some of the Northern Rivers fish being much faster growing than Hunter/MNC fish.

Ones I've donated (mostly 8-12kg fish) have all surprised me with how young they were.

I went for a fish in the river the other day at a flathead spot, and ended up catching a stack of undersized jewfish- which was awesome- hopefully points to really high juvenile recruitment from La Niña years.

Andrew P's picture
Andrew P's picture
Andrew P Friday, 15 Dec 2023 at 9:02am

Interesting! Quantitating growth rates from otoliths is an emerging field in fish biology, but mulloway are considered the Barra of the south so you’d expect their growth and reproduction to be tied to flow. You are onto it mate!

Oh yeah and I’m sure northern NSW is benefiting from the size change Qld enacted in 2010. 45cm to 75cm has definitely increased number of fish that get to spawn at least once

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Dec 2023 at 9:36am
Andrew P wrote:

Interesting! Quantitating growth rates from otoliths is an emerging field in fish biology, but mulloway are considered the Barra of the south so you’d expect their growth and reproduction to be tied to flow. You are onto it mate!

Oh yeah and I’m sure northern NSW is benefiting from the size change Qld enacted in 2010. 45cm to 75cm has definitely increased number of fish that get to spawn at least once

Andrew P & Freeride76.
This discussion about otoliths and age is very interesting, please keep posting more as things develop. Thanks AW.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 15 Dec 2023 at 9:36am

Yeah, I think so.

Lets hope all the combined strategies of the Mulloway Recovery Plan in NSW and QLD's size and bag limits help fish populations recover.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Dec 2023 at 9:39am
freeride76 wrote:

Yeah, I think so.

Lets hope all the combined strategies of the Mulloway Recovery Plan in NSW and QLD's size and bag limits help fish populations recover.

Fr76. I sent you a parcel, just been notified by AusPost it’s awaiting collection at Swellnets Kingscliff LPO. AW

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 16 Dec 2023 at 5:32pm

?si=RhcHR7CoKxpp3Me-

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 16 Dec 2023 at 6:07pm

That looks tasty. My mouth actually started to water a bit when he plated up. Time to rustle up some dinner.
ps. Be plenty left for the freezer

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Saturday, 23 Dec 2023 at 9:59am

Bagged out Tailor in just over an hour this morning
Heaps of dart hitting the lures as the water was thick with whitebait took home 4 dart
All off the rocks using a 40gm lure
A couple of guys were throwing metal slugs but getting 1 for every 3 i landed on a shallow diving hardbody
Merry FishMas everyone

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 23 Dec 2023 at 10:09am

Unreal Saltman, off the beach or the headland?

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 10:10am

Rockwall the beach's haven't had many decent gutters this year
This morning
Went off the causeway at 5am till 6.30 today,
didnt get a touch one guy lifted 2 or 3 further down the cliff and that was it

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 10:34am

I think I have been touched by the fishing Gods lately.

First cast yesterday a'noon, hooked and landed a very big greenback tailor - close to 3kg- way bigger than I like to keep to eat but it was hooked too deep to release.

Downsized the lure to try for a smaller fish and hooked another very big tailor which got off.

Downsized to an even smaller lure and hooked a giant tailor- easily the biggest I've ever hooked.
Multiple big runs and massive head shaking leaps.
Managed to steer it through the low tide pools and get it up on a cunje ledge and release it.

This fish was 6kg+ - absolute monster.

Went home.

Was probably a 20 min session tops.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 10:55am

Ha, @freeride76, reminds me of GEM Skues short story I came across in a 1978 Readers Digest Fireside Reader, found an 8min reading of it, and a random summary:

https://chrisbrady.typepad.com/my_weblog/2013/05/trout-fisherman-in-hell...

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 12:23pm

There are some big ones around smashing the bait schools at the moment

How late in the afternoon was that Steve?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 1:01pm

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 29 Dec 2023 at 8:27pm

The water has a funny green tinge to it around Lembongan at the moment and not many fish around according to locals but on the NE coast of penida they are spearing doggies on a regular basis. IMG-5541

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 29 Dec 2023 at 9:17pm

Shiza. They catch fish like that spearing?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 29 Dec 2023 at 9:24pm
seeds wrote:

Yeah mate , it’s becoming a well known spot internationally unfortunately. Really dangerous waters though with radical down currents , it’s claimed 1/2 dozen lives over the years . IMG-5546

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 29 Dec 2023 at 9:29pm

How do they land em? Boat them? Amazing!!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 29 Dec 2023 at 9:53pm

Never speared anything like that, but a lot of boats these days have transom doors that would make that job pretty simple.
If not, I guess you tail rope it and haul it over the gunwale, maximum effort, unless you have a gantry and a boom.

Nice greenback catch too btw FR. You're on a roll for sure.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 6:54am
Supafreak wrote:
seeds wrote:

Yeah mate , it’s becoming a well known spot internationally unfortunately. Really dangerous waters though with radical down currents , it’s claimed 1/2 dozen lives over the years . IMG-5546

Hey supa, the down currents you mentioned… are they simply what it says they are? Currents that go down towards the ocean floor? I’ve never heard of it

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 7:06am

They are stud doggies.

Had another nice surface sesh on greenback tailor this morning.

Water looked green, cold and dead but they were there and hitting poppers aggressively.

Interesting fishing side by side with a bloke throwing a metal spinner - I was outfishing him by a wide margin.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 10:11am
goofyfoot wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
seeds wrote:

Hey supa, the down currents you mentioned… are they simply what it says they are? Currents that go down towards the ocean floor? I’ve never heard of it

From what I’ve been told by friends who are dive masters, you can be cruising along at 18 metres and a sudden downward current will have you at 30 metres within seconds. A friend when he first experienced this watched as a air bubble went down not up and luckily he was close to a cliff face which he immediately grabbed on to and hung on for dear life . He managed to climb up but it really rattled him and he won’t dive there anymore. A local legend freediver felt himself being pulled down and dropped his weight belt and managed to get back to the surface and also won’t dive there anymore . I’m not sure what causes them but if you ever go there in a boat you will be amazed at how the water moves around. You’re on the edge of the Lombok strait looking across towards desert point from penida . Whirlpools are common and it’s just really scary looking water . Fishing around there is pretty good though when conditions allow, besides doggies there’s huge GTs , sailfish, wahoo, mahi mahi , the odd black marlin and great barracuda which scare the shit out of divers . Yellow fin used to be in abundance but haven’t seen them for more than 25 years now. Sharks are also scarce as they got hunted out for the asian shark fin soup market . A quick internet search will answer your questions GF . https://scubadiverlife.com/everything-need-know-currents/

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 30 Dec 2023 at 10:28am

Far out supa that sounds nuts. That would be fucking scary!!
Sounds like a crazy area for diving/fishing.
You getting many waves over there?