Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 8:53pm
silicun wrote:

TGF nice on the Fat Freddys Drop, their sound has really developed.

FFD are one band that I would love to see live, but it seems I am destined to miss every tour they do, every time they come around I'm away working and can never seem to swindle some annual leave.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 9:12pm

Yeah, Silicun, she was great. Zenagain posted another chrissie track a page or two back..... Forgot about that. Sorry Zen.....

Speaking of great covers....... Two legends meet..... Reznor and Cash

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 9:22pm

1 specially for Brutus...

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 9:38pm

Sheepdog, ya brought a tear to my eye and chill down my spine with Johnny.

sid - ouwa pulya for Yamma

This thread needs a new name, The Music Appreciation Club.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 9:46pm

Cheers, Tripper..... Hey Yorkessurfer!!!!!! You out there???? Saw a post of yours way back on page two.....
Enjoy this, bro..... a total change of pace........ ( ps - nice photos man)

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:18pm

Call me Mr Natural.. I am Mr Natural...

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:19pm

Sid, beautiful song by Yamma. Great to read the experiences yourself and Stu have had with the locals and to hear these songs in lingo. Ive been around the reclamation of language movement for a while as my mum has had some involvement with it and I taught at Minimbah primary in Armidale for two years where there was a strong focus on language and culture. The interesting thing to me is your comment on the scars and the bone through his nose. In my younger days I grew up in a community where many of the elders still had visible scars and adornments, particularly holes through he septum. Ive not seen much of it since then but in the last 2-3 years of my current job (body piercer believe it or not) I have had the privilege of piercing 2 initiated men who run traditional cultural camps and tours at Wollemi as well as ceremonial stuff which is Aboriginal only, big piercings through their septums about 5mm diameter! Really precious stuff to see the reclaiming of culture through language and adornment and ceremony.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:23pm

Mr Natural???? Well sid..... Up in the ozarks, you can be mr natural.... In fact, you could be nature boy ;)

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:31pm

Silicun, the reclamation of language is fascinating, my father is currently involved in getting the Gugada language down before it is lost as he is one of six remaining people to speak the true Gugada. The young people now speak a mixture of that and Pitjantjatjara. And he's the youngest at 64, the clock is ticking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch71lxPJImw

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:32pm

Nice, Tripper.... Yeah, Sid. I knew you wouldn't like that one...... Hopefully this aint too out there for ya.... :)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:35pm

Tripper - very early aboriginal reggae band -

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:45pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Tripper - very early aboriginal reggae band -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI0fAEI017I

Know them well, in fact they were the first reggae music I knowingly listened to after my uncle saw them in concert during their first Aussie tour supporting Peter Tosh in 1982. He bought the tape For Your Eyes at the door, and after that first listen I've never been able to get reggae out of my head.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 10:47pm

Sheepie thats rad!!! TGF your right the clock is ticking and too late for some. With the loss of language there is a loss of certain meanings or understandings that can never be regained. I grew up not far from Pitjantjatjara country, a bit further north, an experience that will always be a part of me. Much respect to you and your father.

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 11:07pm
silicun wrote:

Sheepie thats rad!!! TGF your right the clock is ticking and too late for some. With the loss of language there is a loss of certain meanings or understandings that can never be regained. I grew up not far from Pitjantjatjara country, a bit further north, an experience that will always be a part of me. Much respect to you and your father.

Thanks mate, it surely is a special thing for dad to be involved in. I feel there is not enough time to record all that is said, or needs to be said. I also feel that too much is already lost but at least they are making an effort to save what's possible. I am yet to join one of these language sessions, however it is high on my list of priorities.

Bookabie is my home land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkzkLVCerHU

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 11:21pm

Last tune I listened to for the evening.

LCD Soundsystem - Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gQidrzojU

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 11:26pm

As the next generation I imagine it will be important to you, your a lucky fella in that respect. I hope that you get to join the process.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 11:27pm

I'll let Dave Grohl judge what is cool, not uppio.. maybe I'm Amazed...

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 29 Mar 2014 at 11:49pm

Ian Moss.. back in Bow River again...

&list=RDx4Wwq9_zn_c

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 12:29am

and a parting gift, before Igo satellite..Looking for the Heart of Saturday Nite..

Mr Tom Waits.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 12:39am

we'll go waltzing matilda...

trippergreenfeet Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 8:53am

Tunes to start my working day:

Easy Star All Stars - Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0r511_QZJc

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 at 9:06pm

Something new from an old favourite

http://m.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 31 Mar 2014 at 3:41pm

Frank Black is a legend, Blindboy... But I feel like something with a bit more teeth today..... You know, like when there's heaps of beer in the fridge but you want a double JD on the rocks.....

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 7 Apr 2014 at 4:49pm

Haven't heard from these guys for a while.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 7 Apr 2014 at 8:10pm

Yesterday was 20 years since he blew his own head off...... these song were recorded live, only 4 or so months before he committed suicide... He was well on his way towards a downward spiraI. He asked for the stage to be decorated like a funeral. And in the 2nd song, the final song that night, at 5.07, you could see in his eyes a glimpse of the madness that was just around the corner

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 7 Apr 2014 at 8:09pm
fitzroy-21 wrote:

Haven't heard from these guys for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eiLgX-i2k

Actually i saw there playing around again doing a gig with tumbleweed in Sydney (Parramatta on April 12th )http://collectorhotel.com.au/events/142-tumbleweed

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 7 Apr 2014 at 8:39pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Yesterday was 20 years since he blew his own head off...... these song were recorded live, only 4 or so months before he committed suicide... He was well on his way towards a downward spiraI. He asked for the stage to be decorated like a funeral. And in the 2nd song, the final song that night, at 5.07, you could see in his eyes a glimpse of the madness that was just around the corner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOZKz_sPM6U

They also released some photos from his death scene a few days ago, pretty weird to see the pics, you can see and feel the grungy slum. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/shocking-cobain-death-sc...

BTW. Some of the Nirvana B sides etc are worth checking out if you haven't already, only discovered them a few years back IMO up there with there best, ilke "verse chorus verse" and "sappy" "Marigold" is also kinda interesting being a Nirvana song with Dave Grohl singing,

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Monday, 7 Apr 2014 at 10:38pm

Devastated snakadactal have decided to quit, I really like their sound, Dreamy, chilled ......Sunday arvo beers in the hammock. So much talent, it won't be the last we hear of the different members if that band I reckon.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 9:22am

Early days for this band were great, like most bands.....

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 1:30pm

Bunch of retro hipsters, but they sure make some epic pre-surf tunes
Radio Moscow

I've also been listening to the Album Leaf lately (

Fits the autumn morning light perfectly when looking at the ocean at Bells South. I believe some song were used for A Californian Day (http://www.onecaliforniaday.com/)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 2:20pm

Sheepdog wrote:

Early days for this band were great, like most bands..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Q4wVPaqMU

Anothervictim of JJJ and the levelling effect of Australian culture. Stu's rules for up and coming bands seeking longevity in the music market:

- Don't go on JJJ.
- Don't go on game shows.
- Don't talk to the media.
- If you must talk to the media do it on your own terms: take the piss, speak in riddles, or assume the interviewer is an idiot.
- Always keep people guessing.
- Don't talk about your lyrics.
- Don't go on JJJ.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 2:24pm

indo-dreaming wrote:

BTW. Some of the Nirvana B sides etc are worth checking out if you haven't already, only discovered them a few years back IMO up there with there best, ilke "verse chorus verse" and "sappy" "Marigold" is also kinda interesting being a Nirvana song with Dave Grohl singing,

Was never big on Nirvana but ol' Kurt had an ear for a good song. I reckon every cover on Hormoaning is incredible, even moreso when you listen to the originals. That he heard them then turned 'em into blistering tunes got me way more excited than anything else he ever did.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 2:40pm

Saw this guy live in Adelaide in the 90s ( can't remember the name of the venue - corner of West tce and Hindley)...
Fuckn unbelievable...... One of the best gigs ever...

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/rollins_band_volume_4.html

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 2:56pm

Just can't get into Rollins singing. Tried to but just can't do it. I love all his other output, books, spoken word shows, podcasts and assorted offering. I dig his whole schtick...but not that voice. Even Black Flag began to suck around the time that he got in the van. Everything up to Damaged was great...but then that voice. Arrrgghhh...that voice.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 3:04pm

More of a bee gees man stu? ;) Yeah Black Flag were meh.... But Rollins live was up there.... It's about energy.... The voice means nothing, just like Lydon or Strummer..... It's the energy....
If you don't like Henry, I'll take it you'll find this downright offensive :)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 3:38pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Saw this guy live in Adelaide in the 90s ( can't remember the name of the venue - corner of West tce and Hindley)... Fuckn unbelievable...... One of the best gigs ever... http://mp3skull.com/mp3/rollins_band_volume_4.html

Ha! I was at that gig too, was really good. The venue was called Heaven back then, now it's called HQ (I believe).

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 3:46pm

Comets on fire anyone?

?t=3m1s

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 3:55pm

saw some pretty good gigs in Adelaide back then actually (the 90s)..... There was another place, up in North Adelaide.... Melbourne st, I think.... Was it "the old lion".... or Lion hotel?
Saw an old 60s legend there. Eric Burdon.... He was really good.... Amazing crowd, from youngsters like myself through to old hippies and bikers.... There was a peculiar aroma in the air that night.....

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 4:16pm
trippergreenfeet Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 4:43pm
stunet wrote:

Sheepdog wrote:

Early days for this band were great, like most bands..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Q4wVPaqMU

Anothervictim of JJJ and the levelling effect of Australian culture. Stu's rules for up and coming bands seeking longevity in the music market:

- Don't go on JJJ.
- If you must talk to the media do it on your own terms: take the piss, speak in riddles, or assume the interviewer is an idiot.
- Don't go on JJJ.

In Phil Jameson's (Grinners) case, stay off the meth, that's always a great way to keep ya shit together.

And another general rule for the majority of bands - most suck after the third album if they are stayers on the scene. Bands tend to loose the drive for great offerings by the fourth for various reasons, like drugs, egos, infighting, etc.

Here's one fella who's now onto his third album, hopefully he is one of the few that can keep a good thing rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64uRvg86uXU&feature=kp

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 5:02pm

Grinspoon. Now there's a band I never liked.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 6:09pm
trippergreenfeet wrote:
stunet wrote:

Sheepdog wrote:

- Don't go on JJJ.
- Don't go on JJJ.

In Phil Jameson's (Grinners) case, stay off the meth, that's always a great way to keep ya shit together.

And another general rule for the majority of bands - most suck after the third album if they are stayers on the scene. Bands tend to loose the drive for great offerings by the fourth for various reasons, like drugs, egos, infighting, etc.

Here's one fella who's now onto his third album, hopefully he is one of the few that can keep a good thing rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64uRvg86uXU&feature=kp

I totally agree on the third album thing, but im not sure if its really the band or if its the listener.

For example a band can either keep doing the same thing, which means there normally just repeating what they have done before and often have used up there best ideas/riffs etc.

or the band changes direction and evolves and the listener idea of what the band should be or what they love about the band is often not there anymore.

I think it also depends on at what period you get into a band at.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 6:37pm

So what are you saying stu? Bands that start out on the Js don't have a chance at longevity? That's crap, I could name shit loads of bands that only got their break because of JJJ and are still going strong after 25 years, You Am I for one. What would have the new bands do? Pitch their music at Triple M, fuck those clowns don't play anything unless it was recorded in the 70s. One guy at work loves TripleM, fuck it drives me crazy, they are still playing the American Made album! Remember that, signs sign everywhere a sign, blocking out the scenery breaking my mind! Fuck now a got that song in my head! Thanks stu

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 6:42pm

My last comment kind of backed yours up stu, but it wasn't meant to. Sweet home Alabama !

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 7:07pm

It's a sign Salt.......
Hope it does not break your mind.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 8:39pm

More of Karen OOOOOHHHHHH.... One crazy woman.....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 9:46pm
salt wrote:

So what are you saying stu? Bands that start out on the Js don't have a chance at longevity? That's crap, I could name shit loads of bands that only got their break because of JJJ and are still going strong after 25 years, You Am I for one. What would have the new bands do? Pitch their music at Triple M, fuck those clowns don't play anything unless it was recorded in the 70s. One guy at work loves TripleM, fuck it drives me crazy, they are still playing the American Made album! Remember that, signs sign everywhere a sign, blocking out the scenery breaking my mind! Fuck now a got that song in my head! Thanks stu

Yeah I don't know if its fair to say if there played or broke on JJJ they don't have longevity, I don't really listen to JJJ these days but i think Australia music scene is better with them around or at least was through the 90,s -00,s.

Grinspoon were basically exposed to Australia through JJJ the first major unearthed band, its hard to know if they ever would have got to level of success/popularity they did if it wasn't for JJJ, as the only other way they could have achieved success was to get played on other radio stations which would have been through public radio first (ZZZ, RRR, 3PBS, FBI) or tour heavily bit they were from Lismore so would have been harder than a city based band, They could have built up a fan base without JJJ, but in that era there was heaps of other small Aussie bands in that vein getting played on public radio and most of them didn't end up getting the success or longevity despite being great bands.

Regarding YOU AM I, I never thought of them as being a band that got success through JJJ, sure JJJ gave "sound as ever" a good spin and the following albums, but You AM I had already built a good fan base by that stage and i don't recall hearing JJJ playing the four early EP,s?

I think there success was more traditional, more from touring and being played on public radio and doing tours with other bands that were getting success at the time for instance YOU AM I supported Tumbleweed on a national tour before they had brought out "sound as ever" and Tumbleweed had quite a big following at that stage, helped in a big way from there support for the NIRVANA tour, which came from connections from Mark Arm of "Mudhoney" that goes back to the main members previous band "proton energy pills"

I think JJJ is responsible for "Silverchair" success to a certain extent, they seemed to be there from day one or before they broke, but im sure they would have ended up doing good things, they just had the right sound at the right time.

Sure there is heaps of forgotten bands that were flogged on JJJ but that's just the music scene.

IMO it goes like this or did back in that era, public radio play a smaller lesser known band on a small label, JJJ selected what they think is the best from there play list about this time bigger labelss sign them or offshoots of bigger lables, if the band gets enough attention and sells enough records radio stations like MMM might jump on board.

Maybe its different now though IMO public radio has gone to the dogs and rarely support local bands during hot air time, and JJJ to me sound like every other radio station..or maybe im just getting old i even find myself listening to ABC radio..now that's sad.

PS. Sorry for the dribble.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 9:47pm

Hey Salt,

I didn't say "don't get played on JJJ", hell they can play whatever they want. I said "don't go on JJJ". In other words, don't become a media darling. It's a fraught road for young bands; they'll want you to be one of them and once you aspire to anything beyond mediocrity you'll get shot down. The Australian entertainment landscape is a  cultural blackhole.

And interesting you mentioned You Am I, who moved to London for a time to escape provincial thinking and expand their audience. Instead they found themselves in Hackney pubs playing to crowds of backpacking Aussies who wanted them to be the next Cold Chisel.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 10:14pm

Funny memories dawg. I can remember that we could see any top band for roughly 5 bucks (would include a meal... or 20, as most of the ladies didn't eat, and would give away their meal tickets) at the Arkaba, the Lion, Pooraka, the Pier and the Mediteranean. We saw bands like Skyhooks, Dingoes, Chain, Lobby Lloyd, Spectrum, Renee Geyer, Marcia Hines, Billy Thorpe, Rose Tatoo, Daddy Cool, Jo Jo Zep, everyone that was being spruiked by Molly Meldrum, and all the top local support bands.

Then, I still remember crystal clearly that fatefull night at the Arkaba, when we went in, thinking they had rearranged things a bit. The lights went out, that fucking huge mirrored globe started spinning, the new version of Boz Scaggs started blaring, followed by KC, sunshinin', 'Binky' and his side kick disco dancer, dressed up like the Bronzed Ozzies took the floor, and to everyone's shock and horror, 'disco' had arrived and taken over in one foul swoop. People were booing and yelling to no avail, as the chicks loved it. It was then adapt as a hunter, or the pie cart. Many ended their hunting days slumped over the counter of the pie cart or chicken dancing in bangles and beads there by the roadside at 3am (the Roaders in particular, who never had a clue anyway), a sad, pitifull, shocking sight.

Blinder will love this gem.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 10:16pm

Uplift - yeah great memories the time I spent in S.A - Speaking of the Arkaba, that's where I first met my wife...... She was a co worker with my then girlfriend, who both worked across the road at the woolies supermarket in frewville ......... Think it's a foodland now....... Lived for a little while in Olive st Parkside....Small world, man.... Probably played pool against eachother....