Where did you surf today?

lom's picture
lom started the topic in Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 11:22am

A Realsurf staple-( sorry Priddes for the plagarism)
No surf today but off to Vicco tomorrow for the weekend so heres hoping!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 28 Dec 2021 at 6:03pm

Yep. Huge area and very hard to know where you are unless you're in the right place and a set is pouring in.

I know heaps more now, and have some good ideas for my next go. Nailed the tide (there's a massive harbour draining out and 3m of tide, so outgoing is a no-no if you're paddling it as I was.

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Tuesday, 28 Dec 2021 at 6:17pm
udo wrote:

Yes Cringe ...like those old Oakley Thermo Nuclear Protection stickers

Yes add JET PILOT stickers as well, extra cringe

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 10:24pm

That’s an interesting river bar set up IB, the bar looks a lot narrower and defined than the ones you see on the Oz east coast.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 7:57am
Distracted wrote:

That’s an interesting river bar set up IB, the bar looks a lot narrower and defined than the ones you see on the Oz east coast.

That's due to the angle of the photo. It's a harbour bar, not a river bar. 30km2 of harbour with 3m of tide differential, so it's a massive bar (1.5km deep and 2km wide) as so much water and sediment flows in and out.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 12:26pm

Yeah good timing of the tides and working it safely with such a big playing field and currents that would be insurmountable by most once the tide tuns.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 12:51pm
Craig wrote:

Yeah good timing of the tides and working it safely with such a big playing field and currents that would be insurmountable by most once the tide tuns.

30km2 x 3m = 90 million m3 of water rushing in and out every tide cycle. Low incoming is your friend.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 1:26pm

You can stick Surfing Solo out there up ya Ring....No Farkn Way !

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 6:07pm

Haha!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 6:34pm

Looks sick I.B.

I'm picturing paddling out on a Webby 8'6"

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 9:38pm
Island Bay wrote:

Yep. Huge area and very hard to know where you are unless you're in the right place and a set is pouring in.

I know heaps more now, and have some good ideas for my next go. Nailed the tide (there's a massive harbour draining out and 3m of tide, so outgoing is a no-no if you're paddling it as I was.

Did you get any good ones IB? Pretty hard work without a ski. I've done it a few times paddling but won't bother without power assist these days. Mostly it's too fast but looks awesome so hope you got some goodies. Warm as lately too ay

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 10:11pm

Quite an effort IB. Those bars can be tricky if you get washed inside the bar, lots of bumpy dead water and very tricky to punch back across it.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 3 Jan 2022 at 7:39am

Did you get any good ones IB? Pretty hard work without a ski. I've done it a few times paddling but won't bother without power assist these days. Mostly it's too fast but looks awesome so hope you got some goodies. Warm as lately too ay

Hey pooman

No ski or RIB yet, but will get motorised soon enough. Until then it's long paddles and bigger boards.

Got a few keepers out there, among the ones that ran away from me. Enough to whet my appetite.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 7 Jan 2022 at 12:37pm
poo-man wrote:
Island Bay wrote:

Pumping this morning, poo-man. Slight devil wind marred it at the end. Coupla bazzas, though no exit.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 8 Feb 2022 at 5:53pm

Wow it's small. Cape Sorrel at 0.75m sig wave height!

Edit: Actually, seemingly never-ending degrees of smallness

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Thursday, 3 Mar 2022 at 11:00pm

Really fun waves in Narnia today

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 10:01am

Surfed my new obsession again this morning. Maybe my best session in a year?

Unbelievable waves.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 3:19pm

How big over there IB? Saw your charts with that south pac low and thought of about 10 different spots that would have been all time!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 3:22pm

West coast, crg. 1.5m @ 17sec :-)

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 3:36pm

Fun waves this morning, no one out. A little spike in the swell through the morning while out there. Long way out and overcast, kinda spooky but some good long rides. Swell was bombing yesterday but too much for the spots around this little stretch. A little 80degree E swell also in the water so might check some E facing coasts tomorrow. Still trips me out that we get dead East swells here. This mornings swell was a stock standard SSW. Looks like the summer winds from hell are finally starting to clock around to a more favourable quadrant. Hip hip hooray. Sick of surfing the softboard just to get wet!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 4:11pm
Island Bay wrote:

Surfed my new obsession again this morning. Maybe my best session in a year?

Unbelievable waves.

What board IB?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 4:30pm
goofyfoot wrote:
Island Bay wrote:

Surfed my new obsession again this morning. Maybe my best session in a year.

Unbelievable waves.

What board IB?

6’10 DS

Still in a state of mild disbelief…

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 6:18am

You lucky man..
Solo again?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 6:31am

Yes. And yes.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 7:58am
Island Bay wrote:

West coast, crg. 1.5m @ 17sec :-)

That’s a nice combo IB :-)
I was thinking east coast but any side will do if it’s pumping!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 8:04am

Sick IB! Nailing it!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 8:09am

Also I finally figured out where it is. Does the bank change shape a bit?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 12:47pm

Have you been to NZ Craig?
If so did you surf Raglan?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 1:53pm
Craig wrote:

Also I finally figured out where it is. Does the bank change shape a bit?

You'd think so, but it's been pretty much unchanged the last 4 months. The beach is constantly changing.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 1:55pm

Been but not surfing, one I was going to do before COVID.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 4:15pm

IB that pic you posted nth or Sth Island?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 4:50pm

One of life's big questions!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 3:49pm

Somehow managed to be even better today. Got a few mindbenders.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 4:32pm

I.B.- Solo surf ?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 4:39pm

No! Three friendly chaps came out on a ski, parked it, and then we all had a good time.

The magic happened before that, though.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 1:20am

Dillon Beach, Marin County, Ca.
Small mush. Time of year for that.
Still got wet/had a blast tho.
Still a kook, so small mush is less of a bummer?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 2:12am

Still pretty cold over there Wax24?
I admit I googled where Dillon Beach is.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 9:37pm

2 days ago, had air temp at 16C and water temp at 10C. Dillon gets good when it does, but onshores blow it out often, as they did pretty much when i was there. It's a ways down a backroad, so takes a bit of a drive. Surf reports are not always reliable (or i haven't learned how to intuit them well enough prob more true.) So, once i'm there, i'm willing to paddle out into almost anything. If you googled it, on the left side of whatev pic, you'll see the mouth of Tomales Bay to the south. Thought to be a breeding ground for GWs, so Dillon can feel spooky. There have been multiple attacks over the years (and even more on divers at Elephant Rock, just to the south of Tomales Point,) but no fatalities that i know of. I think Rodney Fox had some impactful experience there, but forget any details. Just to the south of that (maybe not in pic, or in pic if view is widened) is Point Reyes. Known for large, mostly seasonal, population of elephant seals. But a beauty of a spot and prob my fave.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 9:41pm

Just tried to figure out how to post a good pic that shows what i described. Man! I am a tech dummy.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 10:23pm

Edit actually I’ll delete that someone will have an issue

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 10:25pm

Thanx Seeds. The red "you are here" marker in the top pic runs along Bodega Bay, with Doran being at the top. Another spot. And then there is Bodega Head there, you can see, and just north of that, where the coast hwy gets back on the coast, is Salmon Creek, my third spot and most heavily surfed local spot. All cold, all murky. But it's what i got.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 10:36pm

That’s cold hey. I’ve never surfed in conditions that cool.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 12:32am

It's really all i know so.... yeah, it's cold, but i grew up thinking the ocean EVERYWHERE was cold, murky, and filled with pointers. I have a hard time imagining surfing without a steamer. Seems like it'd be nice tho.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 5:29am
wax24 wrote:

It's really all i know so.... yeah, it's cold, but i grew up thinking the ocean EVERYWHERE was cold, murky, and filled with pointers. I have a hard time imagining surfing without a steamer. Seems like it'd be nice tho.

Ha! You never saw photos of Hawaii or Bali growing up?

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 1:10pm

Bought a new board 4 weeks ago last Wednesday. It arrived a day after the big wet, again, started. I just couldn’t bring myself to paddle it out in the dirty, smelly, fetid, brown water. That’s a bit over 2 weeks without a surf. Another week in Adelaide for WOMAD (now semi-retired I had no excuse for not going with the missus - got to see Cat Empire once more for their second last gig before major lineup changes - so good). So that’s another week down. Back to Sydney and water still terrible. Nup, can’t do it. That’s 4 weeks down.

Finally, Central coast beachie, Wednesday 4 weeks to the day since I got it, water brown but not smelly, more heavy rain predicted for another week to 10 days, better take the chance.

Slight onshore, chest to head high, a few other guys out, bigly difference in board dimensions to adjust to but got everything I paddled for, finished up with a nice left to the beach (60 metres-ish) followed by a nice right also to the sand. Enough to get a feel for what the board will be like. Board has a bit of heft to it (6’6” and a few litres in there no doubt) so there is a bit of a ‘swing weight’ adjustment to be made, but boy it picks up a wave.

Even better, the other guys out there were complaining about how many waves they were missing with the bumps and lumps. (They were, I saw ‘em) Normally I’m that guy. Felt good to be the other guy.

Mitchell Rae Outer Islands board. He talked me up from what I was looking at ordering. Told him my age, just gone 60, and he said, Nup, you need this, it’s just too hard to compete with the young ‘uns on a 6’0” board.

He was right. He has delivered a board that does just what he said it would. Great reason to talk to shaper, especially one as knowledgeable as Mitchell.

It’ll be a peach when I get some fitness under my belt.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 1:25pm

Nice
By how much did Mitchell talk you up in Total ?

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 1:45pm

It was a lot Udo, but knew that going in. V-stringer, colour etc, went the whole hog without going down the flex tail option. $2K.

Have you seen the fins he’s selling? Things of beauty on their own. 5 fins included. Riding it as a quad on his recommendation for the moment.

Got a sizeable tax refund last year and thought I would spend some of it on myself. Call me selfish.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 2:36pm

Yes ..they are nice Fins
What i meant was how much did Mitchell talk you up in the Dimensions....
What you thought you needed and what the Master suggested / and gave you ?
And its Cool to see the ol Buggar Riding a Twinnie ....an 8ft Twinnie.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 3:24pm

Post a pic when you can, Batfink. And congratulations!

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 8:04pm

Surfed 1 foot dribble today. Not newsworthy.
But got a fb notification from this day 13 years ago.
Cyclone Jasper.
The unidentified surfer in the article is Steve Powell from Caba. He was charging.
In my 20 years on the East Coast, this and the 2001 July swell stood out as the two most memorable surfs.
I remember grabbing a 7'3 from my neighbours garage because i didn't have any big boards.
Had to paddle out from the N side of the headland, all the way out to nearly level with the bombie just to get to the South side. Got caught inside and shit myself, thinking i was gonna die. Huge peanut gallery up there.
Got a couple amongst the one tow crew out just before dark. Surfed Snapper that morning too..as big as i'd ever surfed it up there but the wind was pretty crook for it..NW.
Was a pretty phenomenal day. Never seen this place that big and clean before or since but apparently there was a day a couple of years ago, maybe the Black NorEaster swell. The place is generally fickle and uncrowded when it gets big, except for a couple of tow guys usually. A mate of mine got a stack of great photos from that day. Incredible shots.
Anyway, just a little flashback better than the shit i surfed this morning!
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/tweed-heads/sport/surfers-big...

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 8:54pm
bluediamond wrote:

Surfed 1 foot dribble today. Not newsworthy.
But got a fb notification from this day 13 years ago.
Cyclone Jasper.
The unidentified surfer in the article is Steve Powell from Caba. He was charging.
In my 20 years on the East Coast, this and the 2001 July swell stood out as the two most memorable surfs.
I remember grabbing a 7'3 from my neighbours garage because i didn't have any big boards.
Had to paddle out from the N side of the headland, all the way out to nearly level with the bombie just to get to the South side. Got caught inside and shit myself, thinking i was gonna die. Huge peanut gallery up there.
Got a couple amongst the one tow crew out just before dark. Surfed Snapper that morning too..as big as i'd ever surfed it up there but the wind was pretty crook for it..NW.
Was a pretty phenomenal day. Never seen this place that big and clean before or since but apparently there was a day a couple of years ago, maybe the Black NorEaster swell. The place is generally fickle and uncrowded when it gets big, except for a couple of tow guys usually. A mate of mine got a stack of great photos from that day. Incredible shots.
Anyway, just a little flashback better than the shit i surfed this morning!
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/tweed-heads/sport/surfers-big...

Yes, the photos from Monday 6/6/2016 black nor'easter I've seen were pretty incredible at that spot.