The Israel Palestine problem solving thread

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Tuesday, 17 Oct 2023 at 10:45am

Because the world would be a better place if leaders only listened to Swellnet commenters, we've created a forum that makes it easy for them to gather our thoughts.

Today's shit talk is tomorrow's policy.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 5:51pm

;)

https://m.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 6:46pm
san Guine wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

The elephant in the room.

Is radical Islam = Jihad & Jihadist

Good on you, you finally got there...huzzah

You dont agree?

Its the view of many experts from all kinds of areas, go learn about how Hamas was formed and what they are about there is a good ABC podcast on it, if you think its all about land or ethnicity you are greatly mistaken.

This video just dropped on the weekend i havent listened to it all but much of it was around this aspect.

Its something that is not often talked about or focused on but is a huge part of it all, file Hamas right alongside any other radical Jihadist group ISIS, Al qaeda different in some regards but based on same ideologies.

&t=33s

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 6:41pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
garyg1412 wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Allow 17,000 Palestines to work in Israel, have no obligation to do so.

Indo now that you mention this I'll let you in on a little secret. When I was growing up we allowed thousands of black people into our white neighbourhoods to work. Just like the Palestinians they had to have a permit to come into our neighbourhoods and just like the Palestinians they were paid fuck all. We had no obligation to do this, except for the fact that it was awesome having cheap labour that cleaned our houses, maintained our gardens and generally made a us all rich. Sound familiar??? It was a policy that caused an outcry for decades around the world from most countries on this planet. Well except for Israel probably. So when you make a comment like this cast your mind back to those days and ask yourself is this really something the Israeli's should be proud of, and if it is then maybe its time our leaders called them out like they did back then. Its hypocrisy at its finest the way our leaders address this whole issue.

I 100% get that, it happens all around the world even Indonesians go work as maids in Singapore or elsewhere but i dont think its a bad thing, the alternative is no job or income.

It even happens for Aussies, plenty of girls go work in places like Japan as host, i knew quite a few when younger, not hookers either just paid to hang out and flirt with business men.

Its something that works for both parties.

Hahaha. Is this a test?

Indo - you are gunna need witness protection soon enough hahaha

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 7:09pm

????....I dont get it Bonza

I didnt think that comments were bad in any way,?

It's just the reality of life that many countries bring in low skilled cheap labor to fill low sikilled jobs sometimes legally sometimes illegally.

For example USA you get lots of mexicans filling low skilled labor, Singapore you get Indian men for building sites etc or maids etc from Indonesia, even In Australia we import cheap labor from Pacific Islands or Asia although we have much stricter conditions.

Many westerners see it as exploitation but the reality is often much different and these workers often earn far more than they ever could back home.

I dont know if this is the case for Palestine's from Gaza working in Israel but they are working there by choice.

BTW. Im always going to be under attack for my views here because its an extremely left leaning environment that doesn't represent the main stream Australia views, we saw this with the Voice, i was one of the few No voters in a sea of Yes voters, hammered for months, but then look at the result's Yes=39% No=61%

It was the same with my views on border control and refugees, my views were unpopular here but aligned with the majority of Australian's.

Its the same with this issue, i might be in the minority here but my stance on supporting Israel is shared by most and even shared by Biden and Albo who are far from conservative.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 7:37pm

Hey Indo, my comment about wiki was directed to you not gsco.
Apologies gsco, was poorly worded. And Indo, it was probably a cheap shot i didn't need to take so apologies also.
Indo i do see the legitimacy in some of what you're saying.
But i don't think it's something you've spent your life studying therefore don't understand some of the intricacies involved on all side.
In a situation that isn't black and white alot of what you're preaching on here comes across as straight black and white after spending a week or two on youtube and listening to a couple of podcasts.
I don't know. Maybe i'm wrong and you do have a lifelong understanding of the situation over there and have studied it. I definitely don't, and wouldn't even pretend to try.
I reckon this issue is something that all of us should be willing to have our views challenged on and maybe admit when we're not right on certain points, because being open in that way is what can really benefit those on the ground in the longrun, and shit, even humanity.
And i reckon to anyone who's calling others satanists, terrorist lovers, etc, come on, give it a rest. Not a single person on swellnet is like that at all. I'd say everyone on here rejects suffering and harm in the highest way possible and only wants to see people safe.
That sort of attitude is what got these two in such fierce opposition in the first place..
Anyway, here's Arnie with a public service announcement about strength, avoiding hate, and lifting heavy things or something.

&t=633s

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:02pm

That big animal trunk is… ummm… big.
- pass the elephant gun… ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_law_and_Israeli_settlement...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:06pm

Indo - “ Its the same with this issue, i might be in the minority here but my stance on supporting Israel is shared by most and even shared by Biden and Albo who are far from conservative.”

It’s not a football match Indo, you don’t need to support anyone.
Both sides have committed some atrocious things the last week or so.
Seen the dead kids in Gaza from Israel’s bombings?
Yay, go Israel!

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:11pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
san Guine wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

You dont agree?

Its the view of many experts from all kinds of areas, go learn about how Hamas was formed and what they are about there is a good ABC podcast on it, if you think its all about land or ethnicity you are greatly mistaken.

This video just dropped on the weekend i havent listened to it all but much of it was around this aspect.

Its something that is not often talked about or focused on but is a huge part of it all, file Hamas right alongside any other radical Jihadist group ISIS, Al qaeda different in some regards but based on same ideologies.

&t=33s

Really, I had know idea Hamas were a militant Islamist organisation, how do you know all this...stuff?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:20pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Indo - “ Its the same with this issue, i might be in the minority here but my stance on supporting Israel is shared by most and even shared by Biden and Albo who are far from conservative.”

Yay, go Israel!

Its not a football match but your actions & words decide who you support whether you like it or not, if you dont support Israels right to in go in and destroy Hamas then in effect you are supporting Hamas.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:24pm
southernraw wrote:

Hey Indo, my comment about wiki was directed to you not gsco.
Apologies gsco, was poorly worded. And Indo, it was probably a cheap shot i didn't need to take so apologies also.
Indo i do see the legitimacy in some of what you're saying.
But i don't think it's something you've spent your life studying therefore don't understand some of the intricacies involved on all side.
In a situation that isn't black and white alot of what you're preaching on here comes across as straight black and white after spending a week or two on youtube and listening to a couple of podcasts.
I don't know. Maybe i'm wrong and you do have a lifelong understanding of the situation over there and have studied it. I definitely don't, and wouldn't even pretend to try.
I reckon this issue is something that all of us should be willing to have our views challenged on and maybe admit when we're not right on certain points, because being open in that way is what can really benefit those on the ground in the longrun, and shit, even humanity.
And i reckon to anyone who's calling others satanists, terrorist lovers, etc, come on, give it a rest. Not a single person on swellnet is like that at all. I'd say everyone on here rejects suffering and harm in the highest way possible and only wants to see people safe.
That sort of attitude is what got these two in such fierce opposition in the first place..
Anyway, here's Arnie with a public service announcement about strength, avoiding hate, and lifting heavy things or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYn5t0tuuAk&t=633s

Gotta love Arnie!
Well said.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:30pm
san Guine wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
san Guine wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

You dont agree?

&t=33s

Really, I had know idea Hamas were a militant Islamist organisation, how do you know all this...stuff?

You might acknowledge this but its an aspect many clearly ignore and only focus on land ownership the history or ethnicity/nationalist aspect , there will never be things like a two state solution or peace between both sides, because those with the extreme Islam ideology arent interested in these things, its only interested in killing all Jews, all Christians and all atheist.

Hence the reason why its the elephant in the room, its the major driver but ignored by most.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:45pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Yay, go Israel!

Its not a football match but your actions & words decide who you support whether you like it or not, if you dont support Israels right to in go in and destroy Hamas then in effect you are supporting Hamas.

There you go again with the all knowing expertise.

Supporting hamas… ffs you are a tool.
So if you voted No in the voice you’re a red neck racist right? Actions and words etc…

Don’t know why I waste my time conversing with you.
Carry on Indo.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:44pm

Oh look... an elephant foot in z mouth... ;)

Did someone say extreme ideology ?
- and elephants on parade ;);)

&pp=ygUgWmlvbmlzdHMgc2hvdXRpbmcga2lsbCBhbGwgYXJhYnM%3D

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:45pm

Do you think it's the only elephant?
If it were a big enough room, you might have more than one elephant.

What if the second elephant is that the people of Gaza are stuck 'tween the devil and the deep blue sea...

Suppressed by an militant Islamic organisation (themselves acting as proxies/puppets in a larger geopolitical imbroglio)who see the Gazan populace as pawns to further their own strategic interests and, suppressed by the Israel government and its defence force for their own security interests and the interests of their benefactors

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:49pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Yay, go Israel!

Do you seriously not see the ridiculousness of your own statements sometimes ID?

Israel has killed more than 1700 children in less than two weeks. When people say that this is a bad thing, when they condemn it, when they say it must stop, it does not mean they support Hamas. When people condemn Israel for bombing refugee camps, for bombing schools, for cutting off food, water, and fuel to 2 million people, that does not mean they support Hamas.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:53pm

No-one on here supports Hamas in any way, shape or form.
Let's not add that to the mix, it's all plenty mental enough.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 8:53pm

Boom ;)

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:33pm

Most people in here seem to support the idea that Hamas can get away with what it did consequence free as though it was justified and fair revenge, with no retaliation from Israel as though Israel deserves it for being an oppressor settler-occupier state backed by the evil US.

They seem only interested in abusing and defaming Israel and its actions over the past say 70 years and then its current retaliation, while completely overlooking the actions of the other party as though they are ok, understandable, fair revenge against Israel and justified, and not at all out of the ordinary, and indeed as though this other party is an innocent victim of the West/US.

They also seemed to have thought that there was this thing, a nation-state called Palestine, that has been existing peacefully and harmoniously in the area for millennia and that the UK/US then created and imposed on these innocent people an oppressive settler-occupier state whose hidden agenda is to ethnically cleanse the area via mass genocide and whose people all came from “somewhere else” where they weren’t wanted.

This is what I simply couldn’t understand and am shocked by about the reaction in much of the West, particularly on uni campuses, these forums, by the progressive left, etc: pure Israel hate and antisemitism mixed up with US/West hate, a complete overlooking or indeed justifying and in many cases celebrating the actions of Hamas as fair revenge, a complete ignorance to history, some bizarre Marxism driven settler-occupier-oppressor ideology, an ignorance to how the conflict follows from the past say 1,000 years of history in the region and how it fits in with the current shifting balance of power on the planet.

It’s also out of step with the views and reaction of the West: Australia, UK, US, EU, etc.

Some people really need to spend a solid amount of time staring in the mirror.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:30pm

Geez, didn’t go so well when u grabbed a peek at yaself ;)

&pp=ygULSW0gcmV0YXJkZWQ%3D

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:33pm

Is this true or not?
“Israel as though Israel deserves it for being an oppressor settler-occupier state backed by the evil US.”
True or not?Cause and effect?75 years?

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:36pm

Exactly seeds. You actually seem to think it’s true and in doing so would be justifying and supporting Hamas.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:42pm

@gsco
nope
nope
nope
umm..?
meh
yep
(fun game)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:40pm

It’s true. Doesn’t justify Hamas. Hamas is a result of.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:44pm
gsco wrote:

Most people in here seem to support the idea that Hamas can get away with what it did consequence free as though it was justified and fair revenge, with no retaliation from Israel as though Israel deserves it for being an oppressor settler-occupier state backed by the evil US.

They seem only interested in abusing and defaming Israel and its actions over the past say 70 years and then its current retaliation, while completely overlooking the actions of the other party as though they are ok, understandable, fair revenge against Israel and justified, and not at all out of the ordinary, and indeed as though this other party is an innocent victim of the West/US.

They also seemed to have thought that there was this thing, a nation-state called Palestine, that has been existing peacefully and harmoniously in the area for millennia and that the UK/US then created and imposed on these innocent people an oppressive settler-occupier state whose hidden agenda is to ethnically cleanse the area via mass genocide and whose people all came from “somewhere else” where they weren’t wanted.

This is what I simply couldn’t understand and am shocked by about the reaction in much of the West, particularly on uni campuses, these forums, by the progressive left, etc: pure Israel hate and antisemitism mixed up with US/West hate, a complete overlooking or indeed justifying and in many cases celebrating the actions of Hamas as fair revenge, a complete ignorance to history, some bizarre Marxism driven settler-occupier-oppressor ideology, an ignorance to how the conflict follows from the past say 1,000 years of history in the region and how it fits in with the current shifting balance of power on the planet.

It’s also out of step with the views and reaction of the West: Australia, UK, US, EU, etc.

Some people really need to spend a solid amount of time staring in the mirror.

I've not seen a single person here argue that Israel should not pursue justice for what Hamas has done. Nobody from what I have read has said anything remotely supportive of Hamas, not has expressed any sort of antisemitism. I've seen lots of people condemn Israel for killing thousands of civilians and at least 1500 children, and committing what many have called war crimes which seems to set both you and Indo off for some reason.

I'm not sure if anyone here needs to look in the mirror, but they way you rant about Marxism, university campuses, and other right-wing whinge points I reckon you should spend a bit less time on the internet.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:49pm

@gsco, I took that long look in the mirror you suggested. All that happened was that handsome bastard said "You've still got it mate."
Reassured, I went back to doing what I was doing.
Peace.
Out.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 9:58pm

I do really think GSCO might be struggling with some issues or life changes or upsets. He wasn’t a big poster (am I correct) not that long ago. I sincerely hope he is okay. I mean that.
I also hope I’m completely wrong.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 11:00pm

You're a good feller @seeds, anyone who is on here that seems in genuine need of some understanding should probably be given the opportunity to maybe find it. It's a pretty nice spot, internet-wise.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 Oct 2023 at 11:13pm

Tough post. I don’t want to label anyone. Even though I have done that in the past. Regret! Hope I’m wrong.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 12:09am

"The Day the Delusions Died

A lot of people woke up on October 7 as progressives and went to bed that night feeling like conservatives. What changed?

When Hamas terrorists crossed over the border with Israel and murdered 1,400 innocent people, they destroyed families and entire communities. They also shattered long-held delusions in the West.

A friend of mine joked that she woke up on October 7 as a liberal and went to bed that evening as a 65-year-old conservative. But it wasn’t really a joke and she wasn’t the only one. What changed?

The best way to answer that question is with the help of Thomas Sowell, one of the most brilliant public intellectuals alive today. In 1987, Sowell published A Conflict of Visions. In this now-classic, he offers a simple and powerful explanation of why people disagree about politics. We disagree about politics, Sowell argues, because we disagree about human nature. We see the world through one of two competing visions, each of which tells a radically different story about human nature.

Those with “unconstrained vision” think that humans are malleable and can be perfected. They believe that social ills and evils can be overcome through collective action that encourages humans to behave better. To subscribers of this view, poverty, crime, inequality, and war are not inevitable. Rather, they are puzzles that can be solved. We need only to say the right things, enact the right policies, and spend enough money, and we will suffer these social ills no more. This worldview is the foundation of the progressive mindset.

By contrast, those who see the world through a “constrained vision” lens believe that human nature is a universal constant. No amount of social engineering can change the sober reality of human self-interest, or the fact that human empathy and social resources are necessarily scarce. People who see things this way believe that most political and social problems will never be “solved”; they can only be managed. This approach is the bedrock of the conservative worldview.

Hamas’s barbarism—and the explanations and celebrations throughout the West that followed their orgy of violence—have forced an overnight exodus from the “unconstrained” camp into the “constrained” one. 

The Reality of Woke Ideology

Many people woke up on October 7 sympathetic to parts of woke ideology and went to bed that evening questioning how they had signed on to a worldview that had nothing to say about the mass rape and murder of innocent people by terrorists.

The reaction to the attacks—from outwardly pro-Hamas protests to the mealy-mouthed statements of college presidents, celebrities, and CEOs—has exploded the comforting stories many on the center-left have told themselves about progressive identity politics. For many years, they opted for the coping mechanism of pretending that the institutional capture of universities, corporations, and media organizations by the woke mind virus was no big deal. “Sure, students shutting down events they disagree with is annoying,” they would say, “but it’s just students doing what students do.”

October 8 was a wake-up call for those who didn’t appreciate that the ideology of the campus has spread to our cities, supercharged by social media.

We woke up on October 8 to the clamor of street protests in cities across the West condemning Israel even before any major Israeli response to the attacks. We watched celebratory crowds brandish swastikas and chant “gas the Jews” at events purporting to be about the loss of Palestinian lives. We saw Black Lives Matter chapters lionize terrorists.

In London, where I live, we watched the mayor deliver glib assurances that “London’s diversity is our greatest strength” in the midst of a wave of antisemitic attacks, and as Jewish schools were forced to close because of safety concerns. 

Across the West, we noticed that our representatives refused to condemn Hamas’s kidnappings, and that the legacy media was all too eager to swallow and regurgitate Hamas propaganda..."

https://www.thefp.com/p/the-day-the-delusions-died-konstantin-kisin

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 6:32am

great article Sypkan.

What I see in these forums (particularly JF), uni campuses, in protests and rallies across the globe, from most of the progressive left, etc, is a whole lot of people spending a whole lot of time justifying and rationalising the actions of Hamas and hence supporting terrorism.

I know who the mentally unwell people are, the ones with a mind virus.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 7:11am

At least you can admit and understand you aren’t well.
- all your wild assumptions, outlandish theories and paranoia etc…

…hope you get some help for your mind virus ;)

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 7:12am
gsco wrote:

great article Sypkan.

What I see in these forums (particularly JF), uni campuses, in protests and rallies across the globe, from most of the progressive left, etc, is a whole lot of people spending a whole lot of time justifying and rationalising the actions of Hamas and hence supporting terrorism.

Geez no one, I mean no one in this forum has tried to justify the Hamas attack or terrorism.
Stop creating straw men to try and sprout you anti woke Marxist theory.
No one is saying that you support the wholesale slaughter of Muslim Palistineans because you are supporting Israel.
It's not black and white. Goodies baddies situation.
Anyway if you think by killing thousands of Palistineans will fix problem for Israel, I believe you're wrong. More jaw less war....

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 7:18am
seeds wrote:

I do really think GSCO might be struggling with some issues or life changes or upsets. He wasn’t a big poster (am I correct) not that long ago. I sincerely hope he is okay. I mean that.
I also hope I’m completely wrong.

I seem to remember he was very supportive of China and would add a lot of very interesting insights into their culture, economics, way if life etc. I learned stuff from his posts.
Seems like different person with the mind virus stuff...
Anyway difference between perception and perspective depending where you view any issue.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 7:18am
gsco wrote:

great article Sypkan.

What about the people who treat people and cultures the same as numbers? Absolutes that only ever mean one thing, behave in one way? I know a few mathematicians like that; perplexed by human behaviour because it doesn't accord with set rules, so they damn the less powerful because they're the ones most likely to act outside the rules.

Unless I've missed posts, I haven't read anything that supports terrorists. Read a few posts that try to make sense of why a group of people might act the way they do. No placard waving or protesting, just trying to make sense of human behaviour.

The opposite is to reduce a whole cohort of people as 'evil' and carry on down that slippery slope.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 7:40am

I also see people who during The Voice relentlessly accused the No side of being racist, now themselves engaging in seemingly relentless antisemitic racism by hiding behind a veil of "I'm only attacking the Israel government".

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 7:31am

I haven't read that much of this thread gsco but can you provide some quotes from the swellnet forums of commenters being antisemetic (as opposed to anti-Israel government/zionist)?

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 7:48am

Conflating the politics of the Voice into the politics of the Middle East, there is no depths the fundamentalists will not plumb

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 7:45am

;)

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 8:20am

That article is well written but built upon so many false premises. The media has done nothing but condemn and demand condemnation of Hamas and worked to enable Israel’s response, including in Australia. The government or the mainstream media has rarely if ever joined NGOs in calling out alleged war crimes. Governments across the West continue to support and fund the Israeli response, continually confirming that Israel has the right to defend itself despite the bodies of innocent civilians piling up. To use the isolated incidents of antisemitism at rallies as examples of broad support for antisemitism is disingenuous, given they were told to leave and condemned repeatedly by organisers. Especially so when you consider that some of the most engaged pro-Palestinian organisers have also been literally punching on with Nazis in Melbourne for the last two years.

There’s an actual war going on, one that has involved a terrorist attack, alleged war crimes, the unpunished killing of thousands of children, and has displaced at least 1.8m people. It’s a bit gross, but definitely on brand, that people are using an actual war to fight their own imaginary war against whatever they think the “woke mind virus” is.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 8:26am
dandandan wrote:

That article is well written but built upon so many false premises. The media has done nothing but condemn and demand condemnation of Hamas and worked to enable Israel’s response, including in Australia. The government or the mainstream media has rarely if ever joined NGOs in calling out alleged war crimes. Governments across the West continue to support and fund the Israeli response, continually confirming that Israel has the right to defend itself despite the bodies of innocent civilians piling up. To use the isolated incidents of antisemitism at rallies as examples of broad support for antisemitism is disingenuous, given they were told to leave and condemned repeatedly by organisers. Especially so when you consider that some of the most engaged pro-Palestinian organisers have also been literally punching on with Nazis in Melbourne for the last two years.

There’s an actual war going on, one that has involved a terrorist attack, alleged war crimes, the unpunished killing of thousands of children, and has displaced at least 1.8m people. It’s a bit gross, but definitely on brand, that people are using an actual war to fight their own imaginary war against whatever they think the “woke mind virus” is.

Well said.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 9:05am

Anyone spending their words in this thread attacking only Israel and its people, its history over the past say 70 years and its current response to the terrorist attack, while overlooking and not giving equal weight and attacking to the history and current actions of the other side(s) in the conflict, and indeed while also overlooking the full complexity of the 1,500yr history of conflict between Judaism and Islam (and the various ethnic groups involved) and of the overall ME situation, are simply blatantly and unashamedly engaging in one-sided and biased information war.

These people need to ask themselves what and who it is they are actually directly or indirectly supporting and trying to rationalise and justify, where did they get their one-sided and biased beliefs from (possibly what political ideology is generating their beliefs), what's motivating these beliefs and them to engage in this information war and where exactly they're going with it, etc.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 9:01am

Oh that’s right! I do remember skimming across those posts of yours giving equal weight to Israeli military war crimes, gsco.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 9:03am

;)

&pp=ygUIZXZpZGVuY2U%3D

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 9:09am

… elephant alert ;);)

&pp=ygUVZnJvbnRpZXIgcHN5Y2hpYXRyaXN0

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 9:26am
dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 9:28am
gsco wrote:

what's motivating these beliefs and them to engage in this

The killing of thousands of innocent people, a third of whom are children, and the displacement of more than a million others, by a politically, culturally, and militarily powerful nation that has a long history of similar actions that go continually unpunished, with the full backing of our own government and the funding and operational support of the US. A belief in peace where possible and at the very least proportionality and respect for the rules of war when not. A complete distrust of powerful, ideologically-driven nation states and the military industrial complex that profits from war and uncertainty. The list goes on.

When people protested against the War on Terror they didn't have to preface everything they said with condemnation of al-Qaeda when they sought to stop the killing of innocent people in Iraq and Afghanistan. People have made clear there is no support for terrorism or for Hamas. And yet like those hellbent on vengeance in 2001, you act as if anyone criticism of Israel is support for Hamas. I am pretty sure ID said those exact words.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 10:08am

but Dan you just confirmed everything I said:
- naive, simpleton Marxist oppressor vs oppressed argument, making the other side appear to be innocent victims
- one-sided, biased argument with no mention made of the actions and atrocities committed by the other side(s) against Israel and its people over the past 70 (well, 1,500) years
- anti-US/West military-industrial complex conspiracy theory stuff
- ignorance to the full complexity of the past 1,500 years of religious, territorial, ethnic etc history and conflict
- ignorance to the full complexity and dynamics of, and full range of players involved in, the current ME situation
- overlooking that the other side is also backed by powerful players like Iran (and others)
- ...etc...

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 10:09am
andy-mac wrote:
gsco wrote:

great article Sypkan.

Geez no one, I mean no one in this forum has tried to justify the Hamas attack or terrorism.
Stop creating straw men to try and sprout you anti woke Marxist theory.
No one is saying that you support the wholesale slaughter of Muslim Palistineans because you are supporting Israel.
It's not black and white. Goodies baddies situation.
Anyway if you think by killing thousands of Palistineans will fix problem for Israel, I believe you're wrong. More jaw less war....

"Geez no one, I mean no one in this forum has tried to justify the Hamas attack or terrorism." Yes they have.

"No one is saying that you support the wholesale slaughter of Muslim Palistineans because you are supporting Israel." Yes they have.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Tuesday, 24 Oct 2023 at 11:16am

Who said that @roadkill? That's pretty scathing. I hope you can back up your claims. Perhaps copy and paste the exact transcript?