Abbott's report card

floyd's picture
floyd started the topic in Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 1:35pm

Seems that every day I read or hear about something the Abbott government is doing that concerns me. What are we in now, have the conservatives been governing (I use that term loosely) for 3 months and the stuff ups and policy driven by ideology is head spinning.

So for the sake of completeness I believe a forum topic should report all of their misdeeds.

This is no means a complete list so please feel free to add your own. Grocer and his alter ego nick3 can fuck off right now.

In no particular order:

Environment: pulling apart the price on carbon.

Environment: promising to end the Tasmanian forest agreement between mills and environmentalists if the conservatives win the next state election.

Environment: approval to allow dredged sludge from port expansions in FNQ to be dumped on the Great Barrier Reef

Economics: after bleating about debt for 3 years abolishing the debt ceiling so they can borrow an unlimited amount of overseas money (remember phoney John Howard and his so called "debt truck"?

Economics: chest beating diplomacy over the future of car manufacturing in Australia. How much extra? $150m small change if the government stopped the $3 billion per year cost "the Australian Taxpayer" of diesel fuel subsidies to mostly overseas mining companies. Can the Australian economy absorb 50,000 lost jobs if the car industry goes? And just how many people are employed in mining anyway?

Economics: caving into the FNQ National Party yokels over foreign ownership of Graincorp.

Foreign policy anyone? Indonesia and Timor?????????

Education: Pyne and Gonki need I say more?

Two links to The Age/ SMH to ponder ………

http://www.rossgittins.com/2013/12/keating-gives-abbott-masterclass.html

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/pms-decision-on...

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 1:37pm

Just to get this topic flowing.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 2:51pm

Well the car industry is officially gone as of today which is just what this government wanted after hearing Hockey goading Holden to leave yesterday. I got my start with Holden nearly 30 years ago, as did my dad 25 years before that. They were training 100 apprentices a year back then. Those tradesman went on to build Australia's manufacturing, mining and defence industries.
I have worked in all those industries in my time. So where will we get our skilled workers in the future once the Coalition puts the final nail in the coffin of our manufacturing industry?

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 3:38pm

Very sad day. But if the country supported the company by buying the product rather than subsidising a brand that they are turning away from, we wouldn't be in this position. My last four cars were Holdens, sadly I'm in a minority.

Designers and visionaries for the company obviously read the market wrong, but even then I doubt it would have been saved. Australians, for some reason, don't like to support Australians...

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 3:46pm
floyd wrote:

Environment: approval to allow dredged sludge from port expansions in FNQ to be dumped on the Great Barrier Reef

Its not ON the GBR floyd. Yes it may be in the marine park, but it is one big MF park. It is a few miles offshore in the "desert". The nearest reefs are about 20Nm away and that is part of the stipulations and conditions of the approval.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good spray :)

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 4:12pm

Thanks Fitzroy for the correction.

20 Nms from the nearest reef still isn't a good outcome nor I would say best practice, as you say its still in a marine park, but hey we don't want to get in the way of a dirty big port development do we.

So after the port and mine it services open how many people will be employed in the mining operation? Where will the profits go? What tax concessions us sucker tax payers will pay the mining company? and then compare those numbers to the number of people employed in small business up and down the coast relying on tourists who will go elsewhere if the environment if fucked? These small businesses paying taxes here in Australia, employing people paying taxes here in Australia, making up communities with schools and churches and sporting clubs (not those fly in fly out type of communities).

I wonder just how many of the suckers that voted LNP and are currently getting burnt by the conservatives would like their vote back.

john w gongshow's picture
john w gongshow Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 5:00pm

As a fellow crow-eater, I hear you, yorkessurfer...SA is gonna be hurting, as will we all, in the long-run...and that's what the LNP doesn't seem to get...the long-run. Well, it's under-educated, over-mortgaged 'aspirational' supporters anyways. Long-run ideological shenanigans were the Howard government's (ipso facto, now Abbott's B-team) raison d'etre. As an unrelated side-bar, and directed to you yorkessurfer, check out my profile pic...ring any bells? Been looking for it a fair while. Those were the daze! Some kind of copy of this would be greatly appreciated...or even, dare I say, a slide?? How to contact and arrange? Obviously, if you're not who I've been informed, disregard...

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 5:03pm

Construction of Curtis Is (3 LNG plants atm and one awaiting approval) currently employs 10,000 people, 45percent of which are local for 3 years. They all spend money in the local community and surrounding areas including tourism. Not quite sure on permanent employment upon completion, but they will also rely on local contractors for ongoing maintenance.
HPX3 (Hay Point, Mackay) construction 1,500 employed for 3 years, majority local and local buisnesses and contractors. Ongoing same as above.
Abbott (no pun) Point, Bowen. Similar stats to HPX3.
And all the FIFO's spend money in the local communities where they stay.
The FIFO communities that suffer are the ones where no-one wants to live. ie away from the coast. That's why they are FIFO because people just don't want to live there.

They are all there to keep people in jobs and keep the country running. The first 2 (Curtis & HPX3) were approved by Labour. Who gives a shit which side of the political fence approved them. The country would come to a grinding halt without them. Central Qld have a heap underway, massive 5 year LNG in Darwin, Barrow Is WA, plus shit loads more. All with strict enviromental conditions.

FA tourism out of Gladstone, Mackay or Bowen regarding the GBR as it is just too far away for day trips, unlike FNQ.

The point I was trying to get across is that the media like to release the info that will generate emotion, ie "our GBR" will be ruined.

But back to your original post. Abbott hasn't impressed so far.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 5:51pm

Nah your on the money John. I can email an electronic copy to you but thermalben has the original as I was concerned that the slides would get damaged sitting around in a box in my shed so I gave him all the originals to be archived. All were taken on Kodachrome, that lost 20th century photographic medium. If/when Ben gets the private messages function up and running send me one with your email and I will send you a copy.
Or if you beg/bribe Ben hard enough he may be able to dig up the original for a higher quality reprint?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 5:53pm

I'll work something out fellas. There's gotta be a slide scanner around here somewhere.

john w gongshow Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 7:00pm

Cheers! It was interesting when I first heard that photo was originally on here. I was living OS at the time and was a wee bit concerned that my name was even identified at that particular spot. Innocent times! Great pic by the way...cool composition...& great timing!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Wednesday, 11 Dec 2013 at 10:00pm

I dunno why you would destroy the GBR?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 12 Dec 2013 at 6:24am

The decision to let the car industry die is a huge strategic blunder that will leave our country vulnerable if a future conflict arises. It is in the national interest to keep a viable level of industry in times of war. Those foundries and machine shops that make engine blocks and cars also make tanks, planes and other national defence stuff. Or do we just hope America will save us?

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Thursday, 12 Dec 2013 at 8:56am

I went to my kids school concert last night..looked around andI'd have to say at least 95% if not more of the cars there were not holden...lots were 4wd or famiy cars which require more thn 5 seats...IMO Holden have duded themselves by not manufacturing to the people's needs. Other than the Colorado(which is a ute) what 4wd/family cars have they made? People just don't want commo's etc any more..there is plenty of market there..seems their stategy/business management was the stuff up..You can't run a business relying on governments money....and why is our dollar so high? be good for everyone exporting to see that thing around 80-85cents!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 12 Dec 2013 at 6:51pm

To be fair to the the now government it was always going to happen, you cant have it both ways have high wages and a manufacturing industry and the idea of continually giving tax payers money to private companies is totally wrong especially when there not even viable business in todays climate.

It all comes down to Australia being to expensive to be competitive on a global scale, wages are to high but so are overheads like electricity, property, taxes?

Its just all about greed down the line somewhere? personally i think it starts with the banks in the pockets of the government.

BTW. I drive a holden.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 12 Dec 2013 at 7:41pm

If Labor had won the last election I wonder whether the Coalition would have politicised the issue and blamed Labor for the demise of the car industry? You bet they would have!

The fact is 24hrs after Holden said no decision had been made and Hockey dared them in parliament to leave they made their mind up. Up until this point I would have said Joe Hockey was the Coalition's best performer but this was not his finest moment.
And if economic circumstances changed in the medium term( like the dollar dropping) it may have become a viable industry again. Guess we will never know now.......

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 12 Dec 2013 at 7:43pm

If Labor had won the last election I wonder whether the Coalition would have politicised the issue and blamed Labor for the demise of the car industry? You bet they would have!

The fact is 24hrs after Holden said no decision had been made and Hockey dared them in parliament to leave they made their mind up. Up until this point I would have said Joe Hockey was the Coalition's bYest performer but this was not his finest moment.
And if economic circumstances changed in the medium term( like the dollar dropping) it may have become a viable industry again. Guess we will never know now.......

grocer's picture
grocer's picture
grocer Thursday, 12 Dec 2013 at 7:57pm

Floyd, your post was ridiculous as usual.
The carbon tax was as ridiculous as your post. Spending billions on a tax that had no effect in actually reducing carbon .
Tasmania has the highest unemployment in Australia. I wonder why?
Both Mitsubishi and Ford made the decision to leave Australia under the Labour government. Every worker at Holden gets at least $50000 of their wage subsidised by the tax payer. The outrageous enterprise agreement the unions screwed Holden for is what killed the car industry. You can blame the job loses on union greed . All sanctioned by the Labour Party, looking after the worker.
The only reason the LNP abolished the debt ceiling is because the Labour Party, after racking up a debt of over 300 billion from a starting point of 20 billion in the bank,wouldn't agree to increasing it over 400 billion . Even thou their own estimates predicted the debt to reach well over 400 billion mid next year.
Grain corp is an Australian company ,why would we put Australian farmers interests in the hands of their competitors .
Foreign policy? Is letting in over 50 000 welfare sucking illegal immigrants good foreign policy?
Gonski? Blah blah blah.
You fail in basic intelligent reasoning you fool.It shows in every piece of shit you write in this forum.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 7:22am

Add .........

NBN - 3rd world NBN, broken promise on speeds and delivery times and cost blow out ($12 b)

Child care workers pay rise back flip.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 7:46am

Not to worry floyd, it won't be long, you'll get to vote again and someone else can winge about the new government or leader and all their broken promises.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 9:31am

The thing is I want politicians to just do what they claim they will do when they ask for our vote, that is, act in the best interests of the Australian people. They can be Labor, Liberal, National Party or Greens I don't care so long as they do their best for the average joe in the street.

I want real, well thought out policies that answer the question: is this policy good for Australia and Australians now and into the future?

Is that too much to ask? Yeah, I know I'm naive and probably stuck on some utopian dream but that's what I want.

If you think what we've got now is democracy for the people you are even further off the planet than I am. Current politicians only have a horizon to the next election.

Some-one once said to me 95% of management is about common sense. Same applies to government.

So where is the common sense in what we have now and what we have had?

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." JFK 20/1/1961

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 9:49am

Looks like all car manufacturing is set to end in Oz as of 2018 with a federal court ruling denying Toyota the ability to make adjustments to their AWA in order to save their operations, despite the majority of workers wishing to do so.

I don't get it. Toyotas AWA had not planned pay cuts and had even factored in wage rises of between 2.5 and 3.5% pa in exchange for more shift flexibility, reigning in overtime bonuses and reducing supplier costs. The unions blocked this and litigated in the federal court where it was upheld and the last man standing has now been forced to close.

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Holdens decision to close I can assure you was made way before 'Hockey had goaded them into making an announcement'. Holden had lost nearly a billion dollars in the last decade building cars for a small, highly competitive domestic market and an export market saturated with better quality alternatives from Europe and Asia. Holden would have closed sooner if it wasn't for the fleet market and three tiers of government almost obliged to 'buy Australian'.

As for the NBN, c'mon, the original figures pushed were unrealistic from the beginning as was stated time and time again by the previous opposition. The figures were based on rapid and maximum uptake paying the highest premium price. Anybody with half a clue knew that wasn't going to happen.

I hate both sides of government in Oz, both constantly at war with each other in brinkmanship and one-upmanship, neither with a long time strategic view. Combine that with rapaciously greedy unions that would sooner see an industry fail than see their, for the most part unskilled workers, tighten their belts in uncertain times. Unions used to be about getting a fair shake for the worker, now their demands are so uncompromising and so unrealistic that many businesses just say fuck it and walk away and others wanting to invest in a stable democracy look elsewhere.

Excuse my rant.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 1:47pm

If you don't have the dole, all the derros can turn to is crime for money. If you don't have a decent minimum wage, people go on the dole cause its easier.
So in my opinion, the dole and minimum wage are a necessary evil. Sucks that manufacturing may be off the cards for Australia, but there are new marketplaces emerging all the time so industries these days need to be dynamic to keep in business.

On the dole bit - so many people whinge about paying for it out of their income tax, but take a look at any country without a minimum wage and i'm happy to trade a few bucks out of my pay each week rather than to have to live with slums and high crime rates in countries that haven't provided welfare.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 2:11pm

Good point yocal. US author David Simon spoke at The Festival of Dangerous Ideas about the problems with the divide of haves and have nots in America.
He basically argued that the reason the U.S was able to grow into the economic powerhouse it became in the first half of the20th century was because of Democrat Franklin Roosevelt's 'New Deal' which pulled America out of the Great Depression and created a consumer driven middle class which then spread throughout Western economies.
He worries that all that was achieved could be undone within a few decades due to the greed and apathy of a wealthy minority.
The question is are we following the US off the same cliff?
An extract of the speech appeared on the Guardian this week and drew over 2500 comments in a few days!
It's worth a read........

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/08/david-simon-capitalism-marx...

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 3:09pm

Top read Yorkey. It's the same 'inconvenient truth' for Capitalism that old mate made a movie about

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 3:39pm

don't excuse your rant Zen, its good you tell us what you really think. I saw a psychologist on the abc pointing out the modern phenomenon of people apologising for having an opinion because they don't want to seem antagonistic or negative. now people either apologise like zen or start sentences with 'In my opinion' or 'from my perspective' . fuck it tell us what you think, the alternative is encouraging the culture of spin and bullshit that is currently pervasive throughout government and media, exacerbated by the internet.

you make some good points Zen about Toyota, unions and the NBN, though I would disagree about Hockey having the opportunity to turn it all around. Like Barley you are correct in pointing out that Australians have moved on to better quality and more suitable euro and asian cars, while Holdem and Ford held onto the 1970s big car idea. It seems they were making cars to keep their V8 bogan race afloat rather than giving people what they want, because even the bogans are now turning up to the V8 race in Hyundais. I wonder what will happen to the race now? 4 cylinder pussbox race maybe? Cruze versus Camry, not sure that will work. to be fair apparently Holden were doing ok with the cruze, building a market, but looks like too little too late.

it is hard to defend government pumping more money into struggling car companies, but it is not that simple, there is no free trade really while others still have high tariffs and all Yorkesurfers points about it being an important base for training and establishing associated industries are correct. if we lose the skills to make cars we are not going to have a good skills base to do all the specialist machining and manufacturing that feeds the mining industry (our saviour) that is going to employ all these Holden workers. God knows how that will happen when Australians are already having difficulties getting into mining jobs for whatever reasons.

But apparently we don't have to worry about that either as new industries will replace the car industry, like all the clean power stuff that has already established itself overseas thanks to lack of support from a Howard government. looks like growth of these industries will be limited too under an abbott government scrapping any incentives.

so that leaves services industries, dont worry we are moving to a services economy, great services industries, excluding education what is that exactly? aged care, child care, hairdressers? well with gen Y there is certainly growing demand for people with skills in applying spray tan and plucking pubes, yeh that will save us. when there is no manufacturing don't worry we will have a workforce doing the roles of normal family duties and making ourselves look prettier, good skills right up there.

the most important point from Yorkesurfer is about defence, and having the ability to make stuff to defend ourselves, I cannot believe no-one in media raised this as a concern, too politically incorrect I suspect in the white middle class utopian view of the world. the whole world is not like Australia, actually Australia is the exception, while we become politically correct pube-less princesses, the rest of the world is becoming a more powerful and scary place, but we'll be right mate.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 4:32pm

When I see that suburban lawnmower mechanics are hired to work unsupervised on D11s and 793s in their full body high-vis jumpsuits, climbing harness, safety boots, goggles, gloves and hardhats in 40degree heat I don't think the mining industry employers give a shit if fitters had a dealership background or not!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 13 Dec 2013 at 4:38pm

80% of the workers on mine sites are contractors anyway. The 20% that are the "vegies" don't get out from behind their computers or their airconditioned offices. I fthese guys want jobs in the industry, they need to be hired by the contractors.