What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 17 Aug 2016 at 5:33pm

Fair enough Indo, I just wouldn't get too caught up in the few indigenous ingeniouses (I'm assuming a spellchecker farked that up for you) who get a little extra leg up so that the rest who do deserve it get a proper leg up.

Sure, there are indigenous people who get text books paid for them at uni, and some of them just come from middle class suburbia, but it's an argument about a few needles in a haystack. It's an argument at the periphery, and because you have lived experience of it you are giving it great weight, but it's not the centre of what is happening here. Mostly it's a lifetime of under-privilege.

And sure, plenty of non-indigenous should get a leg up as well, but just because someone else is deserving of help is not a good argument to say we shouldn't do the little we now do for the original inhabitants.

I'm just throwing this out there, not specifically at you Indo, it's just a great quote.

"I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me... I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back" (Leo Tolstoy)

Some might not see the relevance. :-)

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 17 Aug 2016 at 6:10pm

Sorted, ID! Ingenious!

Next...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 17 Aug 2016 at 5:57pm

Great quote batfink and too true of all of us. How much of Australia's wealth was built on the virtual slavery of indigenous workers? Perhaps not as much as the US gained from slavery, but still substantial.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 17 Aug 2016 at 6:51pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 17 Aug 2016 at 7:31pm

Blindboy -

Probably not anywhere near as much as was generated by the influx of white slaves....oops, I mean convict labour .....that was sent to the "New Colonies ".

By his Majesty , no less.

King George I believe (?).

Talk about advantage gained through murder, treachery and deceit .

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Wednesday, 17 Aug 2016 at 10:11pm

What a wonderful article Mr Bassoon, your favourite Marxist, Marx, even gets a few mentions. A history not quite worth the read but is any trump article in the msm?

You post a lot of early Marxist theory comrade, as a counterpoint to the above article would you be so kind as to provide an explanation of cultural Marxism?

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 10:35am

I think "cultural marxism" is another one of those quirky US imports that the likes of Corey Bernardi wants to sell to the Aussie public.

Pretty much meaningless.

& pretty much interchangeable with "political correctness", as in the catch-cry of the right-whinger, "it's political correctness [cultural marxism] gone mad!!!!"

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 12:18pm

That's it? Hahaha, "a quirky US import", "interchangeable with political correctness".

Reams and reams on triumphalism and you dismiss cultural Marxism in a couple of sentences. It reminds me of Marxists who pontificate on the greatness of Marx and his ideas over the horrors inflicted by capatilism but in their enthusiasm fail to share the frustrations of the 80 million (?) or so corpses of statins gulags and Mao's abominations.

Are you suggesting that cultural Marxism originated in America?

Are you suggesting political correctness is nothing but a catch cry? It doesn't exist?

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 12:27pm

Whoah, comrade, cool your jets. It looks like you should tell me what "cultural marxism" is, hey? You know you want to.

And while you're down there, might as well share YOUR interpretation of "political correctness". Or not. Whatever suits.

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 12:54pm

"Cool your jets", have I said something that would suggest I need to cool my jets?

"You know I (sic) want to", I asked a question because the guardian article I felt was lopsided and you are the resident Marxism expert, I asked for a counterpoint, a discussion, not to be shut down and now again with babble.

I'm happy to share some things I've read on cultural Marxism and also political correctness but that does nothing for my learning, discussing it with people like you does, except when the conversation is denied by dismissing the ideas or telling me to cool my jets or you knowing what I want.

As far as I understand cultural Marxism has its roots in critical theory and while polical correctness may be one aspect of cultural Marxism it certainly doesn't encompass all the ideas.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 1:00pm

Shatner, so many great quotes in that article;

"For a Machiavellian, Burnham wrote, politics was an unending war for dominance: democracy was a myth, and all ideologies were thinly veiled rationalisations for self-interest. The great mass of humanity, in Burnham’s dark vision, would never have any control over their own lives. They could only hope that clashes between rival elites might weaken the power of the ruling class and open up small spaces of freedom."

“Much of conservative doctrine,” Burnham wrote in 1972, “is, if not quite bankrupt, more and more obviously obsolescent.” Less than a decade later, Ronald Reagan was president, and it was Burnham who seemed like a relic of the past." Don't worry, we all wonder how that happened too, and still wonder why that idiot b-grade actor is held up as some god of right wing republicanism. Goes to show how being in the right place at the right time is better than being intelligent, useful, creative, clear-thinking or any of those other wasteful extravagances.

"For reasons he never quite explained, he insisted that the cosmopolitan elite threatened the traditional values cherished by most Americans: “morality and religion, family, nation, local community, and at times racial integrity and identity”. These were sacred principles for members of a new “post-bourgeois proletariat” drawn from the working class and the lower ranks of the middle class. Lacking the skills prized by technocrats, but not far enough down the social ladder to win the attention of reformers, these white voters considered themselves victims of a coalition between the top and bottom against the middle."

Sound familiar?

"The whole Buckley experiment may have been a passing phase,” says Lind – a strange interlude when a cohort of writers mistook their ideological preferences for the will of the people and, even stranger, provided the basis for an industry based on that delusion."

Ah yeah, we're in an exciting time in world history, you can bet your life on it. Great read, I've printed it out for my university going son to read. :-) His generation might be our last best hope.

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 1:07pm

Interestingly the guardian passes cultural Marxism off as conspiracy theory, the ideas of right wing nutjobs and serial killers.....https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/19/cultural-marxism-a....

As does Wikipedia....https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School#Cultural_Marxism_conspi...

Metapedia says otherwise....http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 1:23pm

Hmmm, Metapedia. Rang a bell. Going source for source, here's what Wikipedia says about Metapedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metapedia

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 4:24pm

Sweet baby cheeses, Shatner, what have you unleashed?

Sieg Howdy!

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Metapedia

Oh, and that old "cultural marxism" schtick from the same source.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism

It's wiki-wacky-meta-pedo madness!

Manbat, any help, kamerad?

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 1:34pm

Nothing really to add.

"It's cultural marxism gone mad!"

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 3:26pm

"Ladies and gentleman Shatner's been given the ball, let's see what he can do with it.

OH MY, what a sidestep sportsfans, Shats has put in a shimmy for the ages, followed by an arrogant shrug which demonstrates why he's playing at this level.

He's gone for the old 'answer a question with a question' closely followed by the classic 'best defence is a good offence'.

The crowd in the nosebleed seats are in stitches but that's why they've come here, for this level of entertainment."

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 3:44pm

I could only possibly add more sources turkey, I guess your point being Wikipedia and rational wiki are equal to truths and metapedia or any dissenting opinion are conspiracies, kinda like the Murdoch press telling you how it is, or killing the messenger when you can't rebuke the message.

So where do these ideas come from, are they really conjured up in the right wing think tanks?

http://sociology.about.com/od/Sociological-Theory/a/Critical-Theory.htm

Marxism is fun, like Nostradamus but would you really think much of a "how to get slim" book written by a fat man?

https://m.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 4:41pm

Fark, do none of you wacky bastards even read your own shit, let alone anything else?

Batty, it's not my fault you got your source from some Nazi nutters. It's not my fault if that's what floats your boat either. Bat yourself out. Alone. Can't hurt anyone.

Did you actually watch that stuff to the end? For real? Good effort. I couldn't, sorry. The partial transcript was tough enough.

It was like a woeful game of 'jew' bingo.

Actually, I'm not sorry. Actually, I challenge anyone to watch it in its entirety. Call it the Ice Bucket Bong challenge.

You do the meth.

AndyM. Strap yourself in, comrade.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 5:31pm

Cultural Marxism. God knows, I'm not even going to look that up. God Marx has been used by every second rate academic, politician and journalist to paraphrase his ideas to their own ends. I may have to read Capital for myself one day, but jaysus, 3 volumes!!!

Been only dabbling in his stuff of recent times, but have come to understand that Marx was mainly on about the faults inherent within capitalism rather than a spruiker for communism. I doubt that Marx would have expected capitalism to have lasted as long as it has, but if this isn't its death throes I'll be surprised.

"Cultural Marxism" - I can't imagine the level of cognitive twisting one has to do to come up with that, I just don't have that sort of flexibility, having a genetic intolerance for bullshit.

Perhaps I will check it out when I'm drunk. I suspect it will need a bit of lubrication to get down.

So what comes after capitalism? My friends, that is the question. Haven't seen anything that particularly appeals, but going on with a broken system seems a terrible alternative.

I suspect we need to jettison the theory makers, from the political to the economic (and those two culprits can never be separated. Perhaps our problem is this unquenchable need for theories. If shit don't work, stop doing it, fark the theory.

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 5:34pm

There you go again turkey, complete failure to acknowledge your own double standard, complete failure to take on the argument. Instead all you can do is blab on about some ism and attack the source with no acknowledgement of the shortcomings of your own sources. Perhaps it's easier if you just keep preaching to us a bit more of your Marxism comrade, moralising on the exploitation of the proletariat written by someone who couldn't even be bothered to pay his own maid. Wacky, batty nazi nutters, drugs blah blah, your arguments go from strength to strength.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 5:34pm

Critical Theory. Oh gawd, have come across it many times in the past.

As the woman covered in and entrapped by alien gook in Aliens said; 'Kill me!'

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 5:46pm

My sentiments exactly batfink

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 5:57pm

I think you may have jumped the gun there, Andy, literally false-started (to keep the sports analogy going).

I thought the links the Mad Turkey supplied sufficed. I don't know if I would've used Rational Wiki myself, but compared to Metapedia, well, there is no comparison. Not much to add to that UNLESS Manbat wants to really discuss Marx and Marxism (not to be conflated...in fact, it can't be, reasonably), and 20th century critical theory, and how things intersect.

Maybe he does? But with Metapedia, and Molyneux as sources?!

I'm not able to post links at the moment (Swellnet does this to me from time to time. Why? I was trying to post some Shel Silverstein info to the books thread before) but I remember Turkey posting a good link somewhere about Marx and Marxism.

Marx was a thinker and writer that revealed a different way of seeing the world around him. He saw through it, and made clear some things that were hitherto hidden in plain sight. That's about as close as him being a 'seer' comes. I mean, comparing him to Nostradamus, Manbat? It'd be as silly as comparing Marx to William Lind or Pat Buchanan, or Metapedia to even the Guardian article you included or the Wikipedia entry (which has been the site of controversy itself...see The Conversation article below).

If interested, google "The Conversation" and "cultural Marxism", and read it. Or not.

It is fairly comprehensive.

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 6:06pm

Mr bassoon, is it true that Marx had a maid for years and years and years, did I mention years and he never paid her a cent? Is it true that he regularly didn't pay workers for goods and services supplied or is molyneux lying when he reads from this text? If not, this is the source of your Marxist moralising?

Is it true that critical theory has Neo Marxist origins?

Can you repost the link it didn't show.

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 6:52pm

Manbat, as I wrote, I can't post links. My "Marxist moralising"? What does this mean? I've proselytised for Karl Marx, the man, on his personal morality?

Molyneux parrots Paul Johnson. Who wrote a book called Intellectuals. The book was written in the 80s, in the context of the Thatcher regime. Johnson was a 'leftist' in the 50s and 60s, then veered radically to the right. He was also an advisor to Thatcher.

I've got to run. Literally. Here in all its glory is a review of that book and its central ideas. Ha ha. Sorry about the length.

THE GREAT UNWASHED
By WENDY DONIGER O'FLAHERTY;

Wendy Doniger O'Flaherty is a member of the Committee on Social Thought and the Mircea Eliade Professor of the History of Religions at the University of Chicago. Her latest book is ''Other Peoples' Myths.''
Published: March 12, 1989

INTELLECTUALS By Paul Johnson. 385 pp. New York: Harper & Row. $22.50.

This is a book by an intellectual who tells us not to listen to intellectuals. Aldous Huxley once defined an intellectual as someone who had found something more interesting than sex. Paul Johnson's definition is equally idiosyncratic: an intellectual is someone who wants to refashion the world, politically, in accordance with principles of his own devising. Moreover, a ''disregard for truth and [ a ] preference for ideas over people . . . marks the true secular intellectual.'' Of the people whom Mr. Johnson forces to lie on this Procrustean bed, a dozen are given a chapter apiece: Rousseau, Shelley, Marx, Ibsen, Tolstoy, Hemingway, Brecht, Bertrand Russell, Sartre, Edmund Wilson, Victor Gollancz and Lillian Hellman. A final chapter lumps together George Orwell, Evelyn Waugh, Cyril Connolly, Norman Mailer, Kenneth Tynan, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, James Baldwin and Noam Chomsky. Mr. Johnson, the author of ''A History of the Jews'' and ''Modern Times: The World From the Twenties to the Eighties,'' hurries through a superficial summary of each literary corpus, the ideas, to get to his real concern, the lives of these men - and woman. He is interested not in what they wrote, but in what they did - more precisely, in what others say they did, since the book is based almost entirely on secondary sources.

The obvious thesis is that intellectuals lead bad lives. The not so obvious, implicit corollary is that, therefore, the ideas of intellectuals are bad. The various accusations are quickly generalized through recurrent comparisons that give the general impression that these flaws are held in common by all intellectuals (implying that there are no intellectuals who are not thus flawed) but not by other people (implying that there are no nonintellectuals who are thus flawed). Mr. Johnson revels in all the wicked things these great thinkers have done, and the reveling parts of the book are great fun to read. Special attention is paid to a trinity of sins that characterize this group: lying, fornicating and dishonesty about money.

Lying is of particular relevance to Mr. Johnson's argument, since it implies that we should not believe what intellectuals say: ''One thing which emerges strongly from any case-by-case study of intellectuals is their scant regard for veracity.'' The lies range from self-serving deceits and conscious revisions of history to idle mythologizing, sexual boasting, self-deception and mere difference of opinion. Thus, when we are told that Hemingway's story about his inspection of F. Scott Fitzgerald's penis in a men's room ''seems to be a piece of fiction,'' we may wonder how Mr. Johnson knows the true case. He acknowledges that it might be unfair to accuse writers of ''lying,'' that Hemingway regarded lying as ''part of his training as a writer'' and admitted that writers ''often lie unconsciously and then remember their lies with deep remorse.'' Yet Mr. Johnson asks: ''To what extent do intellectuals as a class expect and require truth from those they admire?''

Intellectuals (particularly Rousseau, Tolstoy, Hellman, Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Russell, Hemingway, Gollancz and Baldwin) write apparently ''frank'' confessions whose ''selective honesty is in some ways the most dishonest aspect.'' They ''disarm the reader by what appears to be shocking frankness and admission of guilt [ but ] . . . in fact hide far more than they reveal.'' This false glasnost infuriates Mr. Johnson because it works, because other people do not think, like him, that these people are liars. The false confessions are also condemned for the trouble they cause, particularly when they lift the lid of the Pandora's box of sexual secrets and expose the contents to the intellectual's partner as well as to the general public. Mr. Johnson skillfully documents the misery that such ''open diaries'' produced in the lives of Rousseau (who confessed that one woman with whom he was impotent said, ''Leave women alone and study mathematics''), Tolstoy and his wife, Sonia (whose ''nightmarish battle of the diaries'' eventually drove Tolstoy to keep ''a 'secret' diary, which he hid in one of his riding boots'' and which his wife, of course, found), and Simone de Beauvoir (who so infuriated Nelson Algren when she published his love letters to her that he said, ''I've been in whorehouses all over the world and the women there always close the door'').

These male intellectuals exploit women, Mr. Johnson says. Shelley toyed with the idea of incestuously involving his sisters in his harem, Tolstoy ''failed to tell women with whom he had sex that he had contracted venereal disease and might still have it'' and Hemingway ''wrote an obscene poem, 'To Martha Gellhorn's Vagina,' which he compared to the wrinkled neck of an old hot-water bottle, and which he read to any woman he could get into bed with him.'' Sartre ''dedicated his 'Critique de la Raison Dialectique' (1960) publicly to de Beauvoir, but got his publisher Gallimard to print privately two copies with the words 'To Wanda.' '' Mr. Mailer stabbed his second wife in the abdomen and back. When Fassbinder got married, ''the bride found her bedroom door locked, and the groom and the best man in her bed.'' Connolly, in bed with a married woman of quality during a V-bomb raid over London in 1944, ungallantly jumped out, saying, ''Perfect fear casteth out love.''

Intellectuals (or Mr. Johnson's selection of them) are obsessed with the male sexual organ. Rousseau ''always had trouble with his penis''; Marx had boils on his; Ibsen ''would not expose his sexual organ even for the purpose of medical examination. Was there something wrong with it - or did he think there was?'' Victor Gollancz believed that he would lose the use of his penis, imagined that it kept disappearing into his body and ''would constantly take it out to inspect it, to discover whether it showed signs of VD or indeed whether it was still there at all.''

Now, these are delightful dirty stories, but what do they tell us about intellectuals? We learn that, as they get older, many of them (Ibsen, Hemingway, Sartre, Russell) preferred younger and younger women - a taste hardly confined to great thinkers. Indeed, it needs no feminist come from the grave to tell us that men have generally mistreated women. Another character flaw to which Mr. Johnson devotes what seems a disproportionate amount of attention is the lamentable personal hygiene of most intellectuals, which he grumbles about like the mother of a teen-age boy. Marx ''rarely took baths or washed much at all,'' and his room was a pigsty. Hemingway (according to his third wife) ''was extremely dirty'' and allowed his unneutered tomcats to march all over the dining table. Brecht ''was always dirty,'' and aggressively, dishonestly so: '' [ Theodor ] Adorno said that Brecht spent hours every day putting dirt under his fingernails so he looked like a worker.'' Russell had such bad breath that Lady Ottoline Morrell refused to sleep with him for a while. Sartre was ''disgustingly dirty,'' and Connolly left ''bathroom detritus'' in the bottom of his host's grandfather clock and bacon rashers marking his place in his host's books. Why does Mr. Johnson bother to tell us? Did the physical filth of these men make their thoughts unclean?

This line of argument, from life to art, is explicitly applied to Marx, whose ''grotesque incompetence in handling money . . . explains why he devoted so much time and space to the subject.'' The argument runs like this: Marx, unable to pay the interest on his debts, came to view ''the charging of interest, essential as it is to any system based on capital, as a crime against humanity.'' He himself, however, immediately began ''exploiting anyone within reach.'' Rousseau, Shelley, Brecht and Russell are all described as exploitative, but Marx in particular is accused of having a ''tendency to exploit those around him,'' and this is said to have led to his theory that the masses are exploited. An unconscious satire on this simplistic correlation of life and theory is provided by Marx's mother, who wished aloud that ''Karl would accumulate capital instead of just writing about it.''

Marx brings us to the true serpent in the intellectual garden - not sex but politics. It becomes gradually apparent that ''intellectual'' is a euphemism for what Mr. Johnson occasionally calls ''a radical'' or ''a radical intellectual.'' If radicals are liars, we might expect conservatives to tell the truth, and lo, this is the case: Waugh ''had an unusual regard for truth. . . . He was, he said, a conservative. . . . Waugh described society as it was and must be.'' Most of Mr. Johnson's intellectuals are leftists of one sort or another, and ''intellectual'' is ultimately revealed to be a synonym for ''socialist'' or even ''Communist'': ''Social engineering is the creation of millenarian intellectuals who believe they can refashion the universe by the light of their unaided reason. . . . It was pioneered by Rousseau, systematized by Marx and institutionalized by Lenin.''

It is certainly noteworthy that Mr. Johnson does not discuss any of the intellectuals on the far right, such as Heidegger, Pound and Paul de Man, whose lives are currently the subject of much heated debate. Orwell and Edmund Wilson, the only liberals for whom Mr. Johnson expresses any approval or sympathy, are the exceptions that prove the rule, men who, ''unlike most intellectuals,'' cared about real people and cared about the truth. They acted out the old saying that a man is a fool not to be a Communist until he is 30 years old, and a fool to remain one after that. Both Orwell and Wilson recoiled from the far left and moved toward the right, a move Mr. Johnson, not surprisingly, finds compatible.

In the final reckoning, it becomes apparent that Mr. Johnson dwells on the dirty habits and unpaid debts because he believes that moral flaws are political flaws. In writing of ''the strain . . . in carrying the Left Man's Burden,'' he cites with approval Connolly's statement that many had joined the left ''because 'they hated their father or . . . worried about sex.' '' It is because intellectual politics is the work of drunkards and adulterers that it is irrational and characterized above all by violence. And this violence rages unchecked because the intellectuals are godless. ''Radical intellectual'' is sometimes replaced here by ''secular intellectual,'' for the intellectuals have scorned religion and set themselves up in place of priests; indeed, they have committed the supreme act of hubris by presenting themselves not merely as false priests but as false gods: ''The secular intellectual might be deist, sceptic or atheist. . . . Unlike their sacerdotal predecessors, they were not servants and interpreters of the gods but substitutes.''

So we see how evil intellectuals are, and we also see why. ''It is all very baffling,'' Mr. Johnson writes, ''and suggests that intellectuals are as unreasonable, illogical and superstitious as anyone else.'' The banality of this belabored point is mind-boggling. Unlike Captain Renault in ''Casablanca,'' we are not ''Shocked! Shocked!'' to find that Shelley was a schnorrer, Tolstoy a compulsive gambler, Hemingway an alcoholic. What is shocking is Mr. Johnson's moral indignation and his expectation that we, too, will click our tongues in disapproval.

Why should intellectuals behave better than nonintellectuals? Mr. Johnson argues that people who tell us how to behave should behave better than people who don't tell us how to behave. He cites numerous instances of the glaring disparity between words and deeds in the treatment of women by men like Ibsen, Shelley, Russell and Sartre, who were pioneering champions of the women's movement, and in the treatment of their own children by men like Rousseau and Tolstoy, who wrote so much about the importance of education. He admits that ''very few of us lead lives which will bear close scrutiny, and there is something mean in subjecting Rousseau's, laid horribly bare by the activities of thousands of scholars, to moral judgment. But granted his claims, and still more his influence on ethics and behavior, there is no alternative.'' He approves of Orwell's judgment of Pound: ''One has the right to expect ordinary decency even of a poet.''

But one could easily argue the contrary case, and expect poets to behave worse than other people; many great thinkers have been highly neurotic, some downright mad. Indeed, it may well be that their high-minded ideals, far from rendering them vulnerable to accusations of hypocrisy, keep sinful intellectuals from being even worse human beings than they would otherwise be. Evelyn Waugh, when asked how he could behave so badly after he had become a Roman Catholic, replied, ''Think how much worse I would be if I were not Catholic.'' The rarity is not intellectuals who sin but those who don't, those few double geniuses who are good both at life and at art. A book about them would be worth reading.

Mr. Johnson might have kept in mind the fine book by his hero Edmund Wilson, ''The Wound and the Bow,'' which argues for a necessary correlation between artistic gifts (the bow) and serious personality flaws (the wound). Or one might take another tack and argue in defense of sublimation: people who cannot love real people channel their blocked human feelings into the public forum and express them in ways that benefit far more people than their (neglected) immediate family. Tolstoy's well-earned guilt drove him to produce the great art that he left in payment of his human debts. Many a Nobel laureate, like the man who established that honor (a manufacturer of ammunition), has needed his unusual talents to atone for his unusual sins. We should therefore ''pardon them for writing well'' (as W. H. Auden remarked of Paul Claudel, in his poem on the death of Yeats).

But even if we grant - and the case is certainly far from airtight - that the people Mr. Johnson has chosen to write about are nasty pieces of work, are their ideas nasty? Should men's words be judged in the light of their deeds? Mr. Johnson thinks they should. He agrees with Waugh's judgment on Connolly, asking: ''How could someone like Connolly give advice to humanity on how to conduct its affairs?'' Mr. Johnson focuses on ''the moral and judgmental credentials of intellectuals to tell mankind how to conduct itself. How did they run their own lives? . . . Were they just in their sexual and financial dealings? Did they tell, and write, the truth?'' He concludes that, for intellectuals, ''ideas came before people, Mankind with a capital 'M' before men and women, wives, sons or daughters.''

Mr. Johnson thinks this should not be so. He argues that ''massive works of the intellect do not spring from the abstract workings of the brain and the imagination; they are deeply rooted in the personality.'' This is certainly true; but it does not necessarily follow that, if the personality is flawed, the works of the intellect are flawed in direct correlation. We have learned from Freud that motives are overdetermined in far more complex ways than such an assumption implies. Moreover, the ultimate effect, for good or ill, of a work of the imagination that endures for centuries cannot be bounded by the brief life of the personality that created it. ''Intellectuals'' is symptomatic of the philistinism of our culture, which incites the press to pillory mature public figures for the sins of their high-spirited youth. But the relationship between the life lived and the art left behind is not a simple matter of politics.

D. H. Lawrence (who knew well whereof he spoke) was right to advise us: Trust the tale, not the teller. And many a sadder but wiser sage has rightly warned his disciples: Do as I say, not as I do. Sartre best stated the true and sad irony of the matter: ''For many years I treated my pen as my sword: now I realize how helpless we are. No matter: I am writing, I shall continue to write books.'' The books of great thinkers are often salvaged from the debris of lives tragically flawed. And our time is better spent in reading their own great books than in reading trivializing books about their shabby lives.

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 6:58pm

Marx's "maid" also lived with the family after Marx's death, then with Engels, and when she died was buried in the Marx family plot, as were her wishes. She also had an illegitimate son that may have been Karl's or Engels or neither. Karl also didn't like baths.

Apparently.

Oh, and forget neo-Marxism, check out neo-Gramscism, comrade. Seriously.

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 8:41pm

Swellnet, do us all a favour and put an end to this pathetic thread. The sheer mindlessness expressed here is doing your site a major disservice, not to mention clogging cyberspace on an unprecedented scale. If these clowns want to wail about the poor abos, refos and Right-wing pollies let them get a job with the ABC or write letters to Fairfax rags in future.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 9:14pm

The Whine has whined. Oi! Whino, come close, something to tell you, mano a mano, just quietly...FUCK UP REDNECK.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 9:14pm

"Neo-Gramscianism perceives state sovereignty as subjugated to a global economic system marked by the emergence of a transnational financial system and a corresponding transnational system of production.

The major players in these systems, multinational corporations and international financial institutions such as the World Bank and IMF, have evolved into a "transnational historic bloc" that exercises global hegemony.

The historic bloc acquires its authority through the tacit consent of the governed population gained through coercive techniques of intellectual and cultural persuasion, largely absent violence."

Sounds spot on to me, what do you reckon theween?

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 9:19pm

Thanks Shats good post, I agree wholeheartedly. This is my point, simply because you or turkey choose to scurry around and dig up the dirt on the sources posted doesn't mean that the ideas or at least some of them are not real or not worth discussing. I don't claim that Marxism has nothing to offer simply because he wasn't personally true to his theories but I will point it out as a double standard if that's the level of debate that an opposing position wants to take.
As a left leaning greenie I've had the cultural Marxism meme directed at me recently,in several debates. It has taken hold and admittedly some of the arguments I haven't been able to counter. The standard response becomes a position of denial and descent into the easy way out, " your a bigot, racist, antisemite, islamaphobe, homophobe, xenophobe, right wing nutjob etc". Personally that's not good enough, it's a weakness in the ideas department.
It's my belief in the answer to the big question that batfink mentioned, what next? What sort of system is possible post capitalism can't be approached while we are stuck in this paradigm of left vs right. It's totally dogmatic. How can I or anyone account for a set of personal ideals that fit into these narrow dogmas? Can we explore the possibilities of a new type of citizen?

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 10:18pm

If I had to pick, the ideal next system would be co-operatism, where the means of production are owned by the users. But if I had to guess, I'd say the next system will be global corportism heavy, as opposed to the light version we currently have.

If technological progress does lead to decoupling of employment from production then communism would be the most sensible choice from the average citizens point of view.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 10:28pm

well well well turkeyman

could blowin possibly have been correct regarding globalisation being a load of crap?

once you get over the hanson bit, you'll find less than 3 in 10 Australians think globalisation has been a positive

interesting times ahead

article on guardian site, can't post link

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 11:13pm

Surprisingly enough, I read all of that Shatner. It became more interesting as I went along.

You see, I have had direct exposure to the academic world, and it is an arcane beast at best. Suffice to say that personal morality is not a high point among the brethren. I cannot speak for their personal peccadilloes, but these people, as a group, are delinquent, morally pre-pubescent, in the way that they deal with other people. I have my theories which I may well write about one day, but the negligent bastardry that they act out is something to behold. It seems there are special social mores for the seriously educated, and by crikey, so many of them give themselves a free pass.

Me, I tend to judge a person by their actions. Education is a wonderful thing, but if it gets in the way of developing as a human being then it remains a force for evil. So many bad behaviours. Suffice to say that I hope the real world out there doesn't have the same ratio of sociopaths as I have found in the academic world.

I place intelligence in high esteem, but to be counted as intelligent, to me, you must direct that towards yourself and your own actions. In other words, how you treat other people. A highly educated person who is a scoundrel is a scoundrel, nothing more.

Mk1, the co-operatism of which you speak has a name, Anarchy. It's a method of work where there are no bosses, just people pitching in together offering those things that they are good at for the betterment of the whole. It is both possible and desirable, and so unlikely with the way the world currently runs. I'm a big fan of it, but I don't know that there are that many people who can deal with a world set up like that.

I think that is how our ancestors basically lived. I think that is what we were built for.

Strangely, anarchy is considered at the extreme right in politics, or is it the extreme left. I can't remember, they join up at their ends. :-)

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 11:14pm

As for you theween, what are you doing here? This is no place for your kind, adults are engaging in ideas here.

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 9:32am

I happily agree with you batdroppings and turkeyshit, there is no room for informed debate here so I'll leave you and your kind to your pseudo-intellectual wankfest. Just a shame that you're using this surfing site to push your pathetic ideologies.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 9:45am

I don't always agree with it mate, but I like reading all of it. There won't be any changes to what we have here so don't bother pushing for any.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 9:53am

Alternatively Tween and this may be a bit out there, but try not to read it.

Then the psuedo-intellectuals can have their wank-fest and you and I can watch vids, talk pro surfing and rabbit on about design, forecasting and general surf related stuff.

Win/win wouldn't you agree?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 9:55am

Do you mean live and let live, Zen ?

Revolutionary thinking, old chap.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 11:36am

Batfink, SN are providing a facility where people can throw up ideas and thoughts. An interesting exercise given that most would involved, are interested in surfing and its lifestyle. Yes, technically there is some form of 'engagement'. But if you just scroll thru and browse thru some of these 'engagements' then this would make an interesting thesis in anonymous social media interaction from a group who suffer from a 'dereliction' of life (as Bill Finnegan would say).

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 2:30pm

Interesting comment, Manbat:

"Thanks Shats good post, I agree wholeheartedly. This is my point, simply because you or turkey choose to scurry around and dig up the dirt on the sources posted doesn't mean that the ideas or at least some of them are not real or not worth discussing. I don't claim that Marxism has nothing to offer simply because he wasn't personally true to his theories but I will point it out as a double standard if that's the level of debate that an opposing position wants to take."

You are talking about that review, hey? The one that refutes Johnson's thesis. You agree wholeheartedly with the review that Johnson's thesis is flawed? I dunno about "wholeheartedly" but I concur somewhat too. I reckon Johnson's thesis is fairly flimsy and flawed.

"[Johnson] argues that ''massive works of the intellect do not spring from the abstract workings of the brain and the imagination; they are deeply rooted in the personality.'' This is certainly true; but it does not necessarily follow that, if the personality is flawed, the works of the intellect are flawed in direct correlation. We have learned from Freud that motives are overdetermined in far more complex ways than such an assumption implies. Moreover, the ultimate effect, for good or ill, of a work of the imagination that endures for centuries cannot be bounded by the brief life of the personality that created it."

In regards to Marx specifically, again, I found this telling:

"This line of argument, from life to art, is explicitly applied to Marx, whose ''grotesque incompetence in handling money . . . explains why he devoted so much time and space to the subject.'' The argument runs like this: Marx, unable to pay the interest on his debts, came to view ''the charging of interest, essential as it is to any system based on capital, as a crime against humanity.'' He himself, however, immediately began ''exploiting anyone within reach.'' Rousseau, Shelley, Brecht and Russell are all described as exploitative, but Marx in particular is accused of having a ''tendency to exploit those around him,'' and this is said to have led to his theory that the masses are exploited. An unconscious satire on this simplistic correlation of life and theory is provided by Marx's mother, who wished aloud that ''Karl would accumulate capital instead of just writing about it.''

Johnson is bordering on farce here, especially if using this idea to dismiss all Marx's work and analyses. Flimsy, very flimsy.

Manbat, I know we're not at school or uni, but you'd know that if you want to put forward an argument, the strength of it is determined by your personal experience and observation bolstered by reputable third-party sources. It's what you get marked on when you write an essay. An essay being, essentially, a structured argument. Now if you wanted to attack Marx's work and ideas, you'd go to his research sources, Hegel, say, or the statistics and mathematics that make, say Capital extremely hard-going (in Volume 1 especially). Not "him". And what you can glean of his life-history. Flimsy stuff there.

If the research sources aren't reliable or reputable, then what's the argument then? Reliable? Reputable?

To get a really good mark, we should both read Johnson's book, and proceed from there. BUT imagine doing that spade-work for every thing that gets thrown your way from the likes of the "cultural Marxism"/"political correctness"/"groupthink" brigade? Sometimes a line has to be drawn or else Brian Cox would still be entertaining Malcolm Roberts now!

The world is definitely entering "interesting times". Understanding and navigating and imagining is going to be "interesting". Marx is a tool. Johnson and that other bloke reckon Karl, the man, is a tool; I reckon his ideas are tools.

A bit of Marx. Reminiscent of anyone in particular?

"Thus, what I am and am capable of is by no means determined by my individuality. I am ugly, but I can buy for myself the most beautiful of women. Therefore I am not ugly, for the effect of ugliness – its deterrent power – is nullified by money. I, according to my individual characteristics, am lame, but money furnishes me with twenty-four feet. There I am not lame. I am bad, dishonest, unscrupulous, stupid; but money is honoured, and hence its possessor. Money is the supreme good, therefore its possessor is good. Money, besides, saves me the trouble of being dishonest: I am therefore presumed honest. I am brainless, but money is the real brain of all things and how then should its possessor be brainless? Besides, he can buy clever people for himself, and is he who has power over the clever not more clever than the clever?"

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 4:27pm

That's Trump!

Neo-Gramscianism sounds like Trumpy "globalisation" without the racism! Why does Trump appeal when Sanders didn't?

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 4:45pm

The point of my bringing Marx into the discussion was made clear I thought, perhaps not. Reliable, reputable? are you still going to bang on these points when I've pointed out the source of much of your posting is neither reliable or reputable? And more of the same, cultural Marxism, political correctness, group think brigade...why are you incapable of addressing the ideas? group think kinda sounds like something doesn't it, communism?
There's plenty of ways to win an argument beyond the prescription you learnt in high school just have to look at the cox/Roberts debate (?) you referenced. Cox resorted to ad hom and walked away with the approval of the consensus, what were you saying about group think.

Batfink hit us with some of your anarcho concepts....

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 5:56pm

Have to agree with you TonyBarber. For a bunch of people who suffer from dereliction of life, we seem to care a bit too much! As for comments about this being pseudo-intellectual, I have spent a good portion of my life around people who make a living out of calling themselves intellectuals, and read plenty also and the quality of debate in this forum beats hands down most moral and economic philosophy. There is a point in academia where their connection to reality is lost and they can moralise and philosophise till the cows come home about nothing at all. If this is pseudo, I'll take it every time over the real thing. Much more substance here.

Manbat, Anarchy in the political economy meaning is something worth looking up. I think you will find yourself back in Franco's Spain. Wikipedia has this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism_in_Spain but of course be careful of what you read in wikipedia.

Anarcho-syndicalism is one of those phrases that Noam Chomsky used to throw around. His view was that this was such a threat to world economic order and trade that it had to be overthrown by the powers that be. (he is, or at least was, a big fan of it)

Unlike the generic term 'anarchy', referring to chaos and disorder, the social philosophy meaning of Anarchy at its simplest refers to just having no bosses, as we understand the term today. Sure, someone might be appointed to lead specific roles for particular projects, but at its essence is the idea that humans work best as teams. Think of a group of tribesmen hunting down a lion, a boar or an elephant back in the African Savannah. Sure, they will have their roles, but not blind authority, and the roles they are given are directly related to their skills, and the prize is shared.

In its pure form it embodies absolute freedom, and with that comes absolute responsibility (to the group). So it is both extreme right wing (absolute freedom to act) and extreme left wing (everything is subordinated to the group and the spoils are shared). No rulers, no authority, except the unspoken authority of the skills of individuals, and the implied authority of the group.

But really, I haven't investigated this stuff nearly enough, so don't believe anything I've said here. I may be giving you a bum steer.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 6:23pm

I'd say that since neo-Gramscianism favours multinational corporations and international financial institutions such as the World Bank and IMF, it's actually inherently racist Turkey.

For example, the World Bank and the IMF are run by whites for white Western interests - they actively suppress countries such as China and also pretty much the whole of Africa as far as I can work out.

Neo-Gramscianism seems to be the pinnacle, the acme of racism.

Kind of makes the efforts of the average Australian redneck seem pretty feeble by comparison.
And it also makes Trump look like a rank amateur.

And Shats, you can marginalise it with whatever language you want but the concept and psychology behind your beloved "groupthink" is solid and well documented.

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 6:36pm

I agree andym, more concentration of power means more of the same imo.

Batfink, I've had some exposure to contemporary anarcho models of various brands, some appeal to my sensibilities and are certainly worth adding to the discussion. This is not SUCH a long video but stg is a thorough thinker if you can be bothered. the molyneux haters will love it too....https://m.

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 6:57pm

Sorry, Manbat, but I don't see where you've "pointed out the source of much of [my] posting is neither reliable or reputable".

I don't know if you did google "The Conversation" and "cultural Marxism". Not a reliable/reputable enough source?

With these terms, "cultural Marxism", "political correctness", "groupthink" and the like, it's interesting the historical background, the context, and how things have then been cherry-picked out of context, mis-used and abused (willfully), sometimes to such an extent that they are rendered meaningless in regards to their original conception.

Re-invention?

I'm interested, increasingly so, in the 'why' of these mutated term's useage, and the motivating factors of the groups (mis)using them pejoratively.

Investigating/interrogating the 'why' may help us all, especially the groups on the receiving end, and ultimately those involved in the useage of these terms as pejorative.

Winning arguments? Just make a decent case. With decent evidence. And reputable and reliable witnesses. Is that bad practice or something? Jury/judiciary rigged, you think? Make a case. The Swellnet court of appeal awaits.

Anyway, google "Bakunin" and "First International". Now there's some heavyweight criticism flying about.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 7:06pm

Yeah, AndyM, maybe I should've said 'explicit' racism when Trumping. Before I beer o'clock bail, let me chuck an Aussie out there. Raewyn Connell! And "Southern Theory".

Oi! Oi! Oi!

And I think I'm the "groupthink" "dissident", AndyM. I'll own it! Fuck Shats!

Burp!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 7:21pm

I know you are Turkey, I was avoiding you.

It's like going to the zoo and the monkey keeps shitting in its own hand and throwing it at you. ;)

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 8:12pm

@bassoon really? We have to rehash the whole discussion on Marx AGAIN for you to realise/accept that he as a source is neither reliable nor reputable? How about Wikipedia which you used by proxy? Neither reliable nor reputable so what we are left with is your own bias as to what a reliable or reputable source is. ie your sources good, opposing source not so. There is the weakness of your argument, within which is not only an unwillingness to examine opposing ideas but an unwillingness to examine your own ideas.

Yet another prescription for winning arguments, somewhat different to your original. Consistency is another point of good debating, without it you'll get caught out.

Ok lets examine some of these terms now that you concede to interrogate the ideas rather than the sources. PC is the most common you've used in this immediate debate. I'm not sure exactly the implications of your use of the term so let's clear that up, do you assert that PC as a concept doesn't exist? Is there any reason that someone who doesn't like the idea should not use it in the pejorative?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 19 Aug 2016 at 8:19pm

That definition of social philosophy anarchy sounds a lot like the ultimate Capitalists wet dream - unfettered tribes ( corporations / brands )without any authoritarian oversight ( government ).

All tribes posses hierarchy, only the hierarchy of corporations is formalised.